BP petrol vs esso petrol Watch

This discussion is closed.
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ive heard there is a difference between branded petrol and supermarket petrol but I was just wondering if there was a difference between esso and bp.

Ive been using BP petrol for a few months as its right next to work and I can get nectar. Around the time I started getting BP petrol my car developed an engine judder when it was cold and I wasnt using the accelerator I also noticed my mpg was a bit lower. Initially I put this down to the fact that I'd just bought the car, the judder I thought was because I bought a lemon and the mpg I assumed id got confident with my new car and started to put my foot down a bit more.

Yesterday I topped up with esso petrol (the first lot of non bp fuel in months) and im finding it much easier to hit the higher mpgs and I've not had a single engine judder normally I would expect a total of around 10times for the three journeys ive done.

Im just wondering if ive completely made up with relationship in my head or if theres something in it.

FYI I drive a 53plate 1.2 punto
IntriguedUser
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not sure, I do know that 97 is better than 95, much smoother.
naman
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
there shouldn't be such a difference between the two. it may only be worth going for big brands like bp in high performance cars which will make most use of it rather than a 1.2 punto. supermarket petrol should be just as good in my opinion, saves money too.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fifth Gear or similar did a test on various different cars and I think they found that with a standard car different petrols (supermarket, brand name, expensive brand name, "ultimate" or similar) had absolutely so effect. You're better off sticking with the cheap stuff for most cars.
1992LP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unless you have a proper performance car (think E60 M5 etc) you are as well to buy the standard stuff. I stick to the branded stuff as I have seen supermarket fuel play havoc with older cars, but for the cars I drive it probably doesn't make any difference.
Friggerpants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tesco uses Esso......Sainsburies use BP, ALL petrol stations have bad batches sometimes.

Tesco 99 for life.
1992LP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Friggerpants)
Tesco uses Esso......Sainsburies use BP, ALL petrol stations have bad batches sometimes.

Tesco 99 for life.
What about the standard stuff?

I have a friend who's Fiesta XR2 runs like crap on the standard Tesco stuff but is fine on Esso / BP regular.

Is that an anomaly or is there reason to it? I know Tesco like to advertise their standard stuff as having some bio fuel in it, would that have something to do with it?
DeeStudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The government is forcing oil companies to add Ethanol to fuel - currently 5% of most petrol is Alcohol. If you have an older car it might give you problems. Look for the E5 number next to the pump it tells you this has 5% Ethanol. But not every tank may be marked. In the USA it's 10% Ethanol and it causes all sorts of problems with people's cars. The biggest problem is the ethanol and Petrol separate in the car's fuel tank if left for a long time. What's more the Ethanol attract moisture in the tank which turns to water and settles on the bottom of your tank. You then go to start your car and it's drawing in Water and Ethanol whilst the true petrol is floating on top. Some of the more expensive premium Petrol does't have any Ethanol but there's no way to tell. If you don't drive you car very often it can be worth it to pay more for the premium fuel so you'd not getting Ethanol in your tank and then water. If you get water in your tank there's special liquid you can buy to put in your tank to help the Water / Ethanol / Petrol to remix and get burnt away together. As beware I've heard some Esso's with a built on Tesco Express are using Tesco's fuel not theirs. I don't know how true this is but on both my cars any fuel that was anything to do with Tesco made my car run like crap and in one instance made me fail my MOT on emissions test. Looking back it could well have been that there was water in the fuel on their end.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you really must reply to a four year old thread, it'd be nice if you could at least get your facts right...
DeeStudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
If you really must reply to a four year old thread, it'd be nice if you could at least get your facts right...
if you REALLY must respond to a thread that's 4 years old, instead of whinging, lets see you correct any mistakes.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DeeStudent)
if you REALLY must respond to a thread that's 4 years old, instead of whinging, lets see you correct any mistakes.
Check thread dates in future. :yy:

Thread closed.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (103)
33.88%
No I don't (139)
45.72%
I work during the holidays (62)
20.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise