Does having a job affect your studies? Is it advisable for me to get one?

Watch
coopertroopa03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm in the middle of my A Levels and really need to get a job (just got a car and need money to maintain it :awesome:). I would be hoping for a 6-hour shift once a week which really doesn't sound that much, but I'm worried that my grades would be affected.
I take 4 A Levels - two of which I find manageable, one is a bit difficult and the other is ****ing impossible. I do about 6 hours of out-of-school activities, not including practice for my music exams. I also find that I get stressed/tired more easily than other people - probably just something I need to man up about but I tend to just shut down when I'm too busy. I worked an 8-hour shift last year and quit after my first day because I was exhausted On the other hand, I need money, and I don't want to be seen as lazy.
Does it sound like a good idea to get a job now? How much do you work and do you find it affects your schoolwork?

Thanks!
MrBuck
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
6 hours is totally manageable, if you don't have a spare 6 hours on the weekend I don't know how you haven't gone crazy . But if you have a car during your A Levels how much is £25 or so going to help you? I'm going to assume your parents are not short of money and will fund your car for you.
Student 1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends how capable you are of managing your time, however I agree that 6 hours is not many so you should be fine. 6 hours may not be that financially rewarding but shouldn't be too taxing on your studies, plus you'll gain work experience!
DoctorInTraining
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Def get a job - it will be helpful when you finish school/university

You will always have to juggle commitments throughout life - start practising now whilst you still have the support of your family and sixth form.

I worked all through sixth form and got AAAAB - it can be done!
janfelton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
6 hours a week is easily manageable.. But if you can't manage it and if it is affecting your studies then I think you should quit and concentrate on your study because your career is much worthy than maintaining your car. But if the work you are doing is related to what you want to pursue in the future then I would suggest you to try to balance every thing as 6 hrs a week is not a big deal..
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you balance your time right, I am sure it will be manageable. I was contracted 8 hours a week during sixth form in the evenings, and did overtime on top (unless it was exam time, or I needed to catch up on things). You just need to be efficient with your time, perhaps use a planner to dedicated x hours each day to study, work, extra activities depending what day of the week it is.

if it isn't working out, you can always quit you job.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by coopertroopa03)
I'm in the middle of my A Levels and really need to get a job (just got a car and need money to maintain it :awesome:). I would be hoping for a 6-hour shift once a week which really doesn't sound that much, but I'm worried that my grades would be affected.
I take 4 A Levels - two of which I find manageable, one is a bit difficult and the other is ****ing impossible. I do about 6 hours of out-of-school activities, not including practice for my music exams. I also find that I get stressed/tired more easily than other people - probably just something I need to man up about but I tend to just shut down when I'm too busy. I worked an 8-hour shift last year and quit after my first day because I was exhausted On the other hand, I need money, and I don't want to be seen as lazy.
Does it sound like a good idea to get a job now? How much do you work and do you find it affects your schoolwork?

Thanks!
As long as you manage your time, then you will be fine. 6 hours really isnt that much.
I did about 20 hours a week all through my studies and i manages.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (70)
67.31%
I don't have everything I need (34)
32.69%

Watched Threads