Teleological reasoning?

Watch
Cryoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What are your thoughts on teleological reasoning?
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's a mostly redundant mode of reasoning, only applicable to genuine inventions rather than natural phenomena. It's popular in children, but tends to be grown out of in almost all areas of thought, with the exception of the origins of Earth, the universe and so on, in which case teleological argument is regularly employed to imply the existence of a creator deity.
ThisIsn'tSpam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Teleological Reasoning is a rather difficult matter. I do not support it forthrightly, however, the end can sometimes be used to justify the means, if the choices that you are confronted with are those where the teachings you usually utilise will result in something that is indeed far worse than if you were to break your rules.

Let's say that there's a man who is about to kill 100 people via the most painful means possible. The only way to stop him is to kill him. If I was to be deontological and keep to my rule of "do not kill", then surely the end result would be worse, and I would be, to a degree, favouring myself over the lives of 100. In this case, I would break away from my deontological perspective and act in a teleological manner.
Cryoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by miser)
I think it's a mostly redundant mode of reasoning, only applicable to genuine inventions rather than natural phenomena. It's popular in children, but tends to be grown out of in almost all areas of thought, with the exception of the origins of Earth, the universe and so on, in which case teleological argument is regularly employed to imply the existence of a creator deity.
By children I'm assuming you mean say under 6 years of age. This surely makes teleological reasoning seem... intuitive, furthermore I doubt most six years olds are fully aware of logic behind their reasoning, they wouldn't be able to mount a defence to any objections for example.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cryoo)
By children I'm assuming you mean say under 6 years of age. This surely makes teleological reasoning seem... intuitive, furthermore I doubt most six years olds are fully aware of logic behind their reasoning, they wouldn't be able to mount a defence to any objections for example.
Our intuition was shaped by evolutionary influences - I wouldn't count it as a point in teleology's favour. As an explanation of natural phenomena, I think it is naïve.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (114)
40.86%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
10.39%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (21)
7.53%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (64)
22.94%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (32)
11.47%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.81%

Watched Threads