Electrical conductivity of metal chlorides Watch

You-know-who
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Edexcel, May 2010, Unit 1, Question 15.b.ii)

Suggest why aqueous solutions of calcium chloride. CaCl2 (aq) and barium chloride, BaCl2 (aq) of the same molar concentration have different electrical conductivities.

The answer given in the mark scheme is that the two cations have different sizes. Underneath, they also included this in the mark scheme in brackets:

(could select either the calcium ion because it has more water molecules associated with it OR the barium ion because it has more shells of electrons and so larger)

That's the part that I don't get. Calcium ion is smaller, hence is it more soluble in water? But then how do you explain Ba(OH)2 being more soluble than Ca(OH)2? How does the solubility or having more water molecules associated with it relate to electrical conductivity?
y?-1*-1=1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
for electrical conductivity think about the extent of ionization, therefore, the more the solubility the more the electrical conductivity as there will be more ions available to carry the electrical charge.
You-know-who
Rep:
?
(Original post by y?-1*-1=1)
for electrical conductivity think about the extent of ionization, therefore, the more the solubility the more the electrical conductivity as there will be more ions available to carry the electrical charge.
Okay. What are the factors which determine solubility? Take this question for example, is calcium chloride more soluble than barium chloride?
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why do you care about solubility when question states "of the same molar concentration"?

Conductivity is a matter of ion mobility, and in general smaller ions are more mobile. This is very handwavy, but should do in this case.

When they refer to water molecules they most likely mean hydration layers.
You-know-who
Rep:
?
(Original post by Borek)
Why do you care about solubility when question states "of the same molar concentration"?

Conductivity is a matter of ion mobility, and in general smaller ions are more mobile. This is very handwavy, but should do in this case.

When they refer to water molecules they most likely mean hydration layers.
Because I thought it probably had some connection to calcium chloride being more soluble, thus more ions form in water, hence can conduct more electricity... or something like that.

Anyways, so it's basically just: Ba ions are larger, hence less mobile, right? Thank you for clearing this up!
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by You-know-who)
Anyways, so it's basically just: Ba ions are larger, hence less mobile, right?
Yes.

Note: that's only a simplified approximation, as what is really moving is not just a cation, but cation with a hydration layer (or several), so its size is not just that of a cation. To make things more complicated, amount of hydration layers even for cations of the same charge depends on their "naked" radius (smaller cations attract water molecules much stronger).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (145)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9%
No I am happy with my course choice (485)
59%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (118)
14.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed