The Student Room Group

do feminists believe in evolution?

and if yes, did evolution affect the male and female brains differently in any way or do all the body differences stop at the neck?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Looking forward to these answers! :biggrin:
Reply 2
yea funny how none of them is around when the topic is ''inconvenient''.
I'm a feminist and I believe in evolution. I don't see why the two has any sort of conflict. Of course, there are evidence for physical differences in men and women, including their brains. I don't see how this poses as a problem or is in any way inconvenient

Original post by mimi112
yea funny how none of them is around when the topic is ''inconvenient''.

Original post by drake10
Looking forward to these answers! :biggrin:

Original post by mimi112
and if yes, did evolution affect the male and female brains differently in any way or do all the body differences stop at the neck?
(edited 10 years ago)
wtf

what does being a feminist have to do with believing in evolution
also how is this topic inconvenient

also, if you're asking if men are naturally smarter/better than women due to evolution, the answer is no.
i don't believe there is a difference between the male and female brain
Reply 5
Original post by nivvy21
I'm a feminist and I believe in evolution. Of course, there are evidence for physical differences in men and women, including their brains. I don't see how this poses as a problem.

it's a problem because most feminists believe pretty much everything is a social construct and anything from men wanting casual sex a lot more to holding most CEO positions is the fault of society. in what way would you say the brains are different?
Original post by iamyourmum
wtf

what does being a feminist have to do with believing in evolution
also how is this topic inconvenient

also, if you're asking if men are naturally smarter/better than women due to evolution, the answer is no.
i don't believe there is a difference between the male and female brain

Agree with you on everything, but the no difference bit:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/02/men-women-brains-wired-differently

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-hardwired-difference-between-male-and-female-brains-could-explain-why-men-are-better-at-map-reading-8978248.html

Original post by mimi112
it's a problem because most feminists believe pretty much everything is a social construct and anything from men wanting casual sex a lot more to holding most CEO positions is the fault of society. in what way would you say the brains are different?

I don't believe everything is a social construct, but just because female and male have inevitable physical differences, it does not mean that we can treat them unequally. See above
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm a feminist and an enthusiastic biology student so yes, we do believe in evolution haha

I don't, however, believe in poorly-supported neuroscience. Plenty of studies have been purported to prove the difference between the male and female brain. Generally, they have tiny sample sizes and the results are inconclusive. No-one wants to publish a study saying "we found nothing interesting or significant" so those studies which find no difference in male and female brains often aren't published. Neuroscience is still a really tentative and uncertain field; making too many conclusions about any biological differences based on neuroscience would be inadvisable. In addition, finding a difference in the brains of men and women isn't conclusive. Women and men are treated differently from birth, so any differences we find in brains might not be the CAUSE of perceived differences - they may be the RESULT of different treatments of men and women in society.

I'd also like to point out that transgender people... exist?!?!
I can't speak for other feminist, but I am one and have read quite fully in to the subject, fully believe in basic, automatic differences in the way that men and women behave, due to their brains being wired differently. I believe that our innate behaviour and reactions to different circumstances come from our brains and biology. Men and women are (generally) different and (generally) behave in masculine or feminine ways. That's just nature.

That does not, however, mean that men or women should be treated with any less respect, and both should be awarded the same opportunities, regardless of what they want to do. I accept the fact that men will be better in certain fields, just as women are better in others. However, men and women should be allowed to progress in those fields equally and without obstruction, regardless of what they 'should' be good at.
Reply 9
Original post by buchanan700

That does not, however, mean that men or women should be treated with any less respect, and both should be awarded the same opportunities, regardless of what they want to do. I accept the fact that men will be better in certain fields, just as women are better in others. However, men and women should be allowed to progress in those fields equally and without obstruction, regardless of what they 'should' be good at.

what fields would women be better at ?
Reply 11

so men having almost complete domination of the apex of pretty much every field that is related to human achievement is due to society? i am talking about current western society, not other cultures or ages. now remember, as a great woman once said : “There is no female Mozart because there is no female Jack the Ripper.”
(edited 10 years ago)
Studying Biology and Psychology shows me the differences in male and female brains. Each gender generally has it's stronger functions (Males normally better at Maths, Females normally better at Language). However there are always exceptions to this, e.g many of my females friends are better at maths, and many of my male friends are better at English) so it is not black and white as to which gender is dominant/stronger.
Reply 13
Feminism is about equal rights and opportunities; it's obviously incorrect that men and women are physiologically identical, and there is no particular reason to believe that physiological differences have no effect over one's mental disposition or behaviour.

Feminism does not claim that men and women are physiologically or behaviourally identical, so there is no ideological conflict between feminism and evolutionary theory.
Original post by bubble999
Studying Biology and Psychology shows me the differences in male and female brains. Each gender generally has it's stronger functions (Males normally better at Maths, Females normally better at Language). However there are always exceptions to this, e.g many of my females friends are better at maths, and many of my male friends are better at English) so it is not black and white as to which gender is dominant/stronger.

sounds like utter pseudoscience
Original post by Are you Shaw?
sounds like utter pseudoscience

Like a lot of stuff on here. It's a theory like most of science, but there is a lot of evidence to back it up.
Original post by bubble999
Like a lot of stuff on here. It's a theory like most of science, but there is a lot of evidence to back it up.

sounds like correlation != causation
Original post by Are you Shaw?
sounds like correlation != causation

Again, like the majority of science. E.g Smoking = lung cancer. But there is still a lot of research to support it.
Original post by aigroe
I'm a feminist and an enthusiastic biology student so yes, we do believe in evolution haha

I don't, however, believe in poorly-supported neuroscience. Plenty of studies have been purported to prove the difference between the male and female brain. Generally, they have tiny sample sizes and the results are inconclusive. No-one wants to publish a study saying "we found nothing interesting or significant" so those studies which find no difference in male and female brains often aren't published. Neuroscience is still a really tentative and uncertain field; making too many conclusions about any biological differences based on neuroscience would be inadvisable. In addition, finding a difference in the brains of men and women isn't conclusive. Women and men are treated differently from birth, so any differences we find in brains might not be the CAUSE of perceived differences - they may be the RESULT of different treatments of men and women in society.

I'd also like to point out that transgender people... exist?!?!

Oh my God you put everything I wanted to say into an eloquently worded pargraph
Reply 19
Original post by miser
Feminism is about equal rights and opportunities; it's obviously incorrect that men and women are physiologically identical, and there is no particular reason to believe that physiological differences have no effect over one's mental disposition or behaviour.

Feminism does not claim that men and women are physiologically or behaviourally identical, so there is no ideological conflict between feminism and evolutionary theory.

most feminists are hardcore on social constructing and blank slates. that's why all the usual suspects on this forum who show up for every barbie/disney discussion are avoiding threads like this . just like the other thread on why do they ignore the muslim misogyny.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending