MoonyOwl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have mocks coming up and i'm doing Of mice and men and An inspector calls. I understand that Section B of the exam includes two questions and both for 30 marks. Does that mean the two questions need to be of equal length?

For example (taken from aqa)
Part (a)
In this passage, what methods does Steinbeck use to present Curley’s wife and the
attitudes of others to her? Refer closely to the passage in your answer.
and then Part (b)
How does Steinbeck present attitudes to women in the society in which the novel is set?
(30 marks)

so do i spend 15 minutes on each?

thanks
frootim
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had my English mock before the holidays and my teacher told us to spend 15 minutes on each part of Section B. But this depends hugely on how much time you spend on Section A. I remember that I spent about 50 minutes on that part and that meant that I was rushing much more in Section B. So manage your time wisely and just stay calm. If not, be prepared for a really sore hand after the exam c;

Good luck c:
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You need to bear in mind that there isn't a length requirement. You're being marked against specific criteria and as long as you tick the boxes, you'll get the marks regardless of whether you've written one page or twenty.

Secondly, whilst there are two questions to answer in Section B, you're being asked to write one essay. Whilst you could in theory write completely different responses to each question, there's always a very strong link and it makes sense to link them. The second question is usually about the context and it's quite easy to link in. With regard to how much time to allocate to each section, as I've already said, you should be aiming to tick checkboxes rather than writing a specific amount. Personally, I feel that the second question can generally be answered more concisely than the first, so I would usually spend more time on the first.

Remember that the exam is very flexible. In my case, I did Inspector Calls and To Kill a Mockingbird. I knew Inspector Calls extremely well, but found Mockingbird more difficult. As a result, I allocated more time to Mockingbird in the exam so that I had more time to think and analyse, and that strategy served me very well!

P.S: A slightly unrelated tip about Inspector Calls: Learn 2-3 outstanding paragraphs about the Inspector's final speech off by heart. Work on these paragraphs and make them shine and then commit them to memory. You can apply the Inspector's final speech to practically every question and if do this, you've pretty much sorted half of your essay already.
MoonyOwl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
You need to bear in mind that there isn't a length requirement. You're being marked against specific criteria and as long as you tick the boxes, you'll get the marks regardless of whether you've written one page or twenty.

Secondly, whilst there are two questions to answer in Section B, you're being asked to write one essay. Whilst you could in theory write completely different responses to each question, there's always a very strong link and it makes sense to link them. The second question is usually about the context and it's quite easy to link in. With regard to how much time to allocate to each section, as I've already said, you should be aiming to tick checkboxes rather than writing a specific amount. Personally, I feel that the second question can generally be answered more concisely than the first, so I would usually spend more time on the first.

Remember that the exam is very flexible. In my case, I did Inspector Calls and To Kill a Mockingbird. I knew Inspector Calls extremely well, but found Mockingbird more difficult. As a result, I allocated more time to Mockingbird in the exam so that I had more time to think and analyse, and that strategy served me very well!

P.S: A slightly unrelated tip about Inspector Calls: Learn 2-3 outstanding paragraphs about the Inspector's final speech off by heart. Work on these paragraphs and make them shine and then commit them to memory. You can apply the Inspector's final speech to practically every question and if do this, you've pretty much sorted half of your essay already.
Thanks you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (19)
19%
I'm not sure (2)
2%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (28)
28%
I have already dropped out (3)
3%
I'm not a current university student (48)
48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise