The Student Room Group

Should we introduce a 'Fat Tax' to the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ipoop
I can never agree with that, it's never the answer. This will lead to people going to prison for buying Dairy Milk bars :rofl:

Oh I agree with you on that! All of them! :fuhrer: But perhaps leave them open on the condition McD's only sells McFlurys :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, absurd, I know! But, how else do you kindly propose we get rid of the problem and you seem to love this emoticon :fuhrer: and McFlurries :tongue:
Original post by tengentoppa
Make fat people pay extra when they travel.

How do you propose we justify this? Perhaps, this will lead to fat people not travelling and sit at home, becoming fatter?
100% NO to any sort of "fat tax". Food referred to as unhealthy isn't usually unhealthy until you eat too much of it - in moderation, it is harmless. And eating too much of anything can be harmful to you - including normally healthy foods.
Plenty of people eat fatty foods in moderation alongside other healthy foods, and they suffer no health problems whatsoever. The health impacts of this food depends a lot more on the person eating the food and how responsible they are with their diet than the food itself.

I enjoy some fatty foods every now and then but I get plenty of exercise and eat other foods as well, and I haven't suffered any health issues from it. Why exactly should responsible people such as myself be forced to pay more because of some other people who can't/don't/won't eat properly?

Start some education campaigns, and teach schoolkids about healthy eating from a young age. That way they'll grow up knowing how to eat a healthy diet, and unlike a "fat tax", you'll actually target the problem at its source. Teaching kids about growing your own food would also help them a lot and engage them with it a bit more so they enjoy it, with things like school gardens. And making sure healthy foods are a bit cheaper would help as well.
Reply 43
No, people consume those products (snacks, fast food or fizzy drinks) knowing the health implications, if it's in moderation I don't think it's unhealthy anyway. I don't see why the government should potentially harm those industries, when people are more than happy to eat those foods. Actually people would buy junk food regardless, so it would be ineffective either way, it won't reduce demand. It's just another way for the government to get its greedy mitts onto people's money.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lord Frieza
First get rid of Bedroom tax, as it stands, I am freezing and we can't afford hot water so please.

What is bedroom tax?

And I'm sorry :frown:

Put on some extra layers maybe?
Reply 45
It would hardly fix anything. Cigarettes and alcohol are taxed, and yet people still smoke and drink and fall ill and die from these substances.
Reply 46
Original post by nivvy21
True, absurd, I know! But, how else do you kindly propose we get rid of the problem and you seem to love this emoticon :fuhrer: and McFlurries :tongue:

I do love mein :fuhrer: :tongue:

Well I'm approaching this ban as I am cannabis really, and I want cannabis to be legalised. Hell cannabis causes less damage than junk food can. So if they did ban junk food and unbanned weed then hmmm maybe I'd be okay with that, I'd be too high to care anyway :tongue:

I think the tax could work, I'd be okay with it if healthy snacks companies received investments from the tax for them to produce more and make them cheaper :yep: My last trip to Holland & Barret cost around £30 and that was for snack bars to get me through two weeks :zomg:
Original post by nivvy21
How do you propose we justify this? Perhaps, this will lead to fat people not travelling and sit at home, becoming fatter?

They take up more space. On planes they charge you for extra luggage so it makes sense to charge people on their excess weight. If they want to stay at home and deteriorate that's their choice, but they should no longer receive NHS funding.
Original post by nivvy21
Again, agreed. So, we should ration all foods apart from fruit and veg? Please correct me if im wrong. I really think that TSR should compile all the different threads on issues like this and take them to the government!

I know! People comfort eat, they love food and etc :tongue:

Yes, again, agreed! I agree a lot :L

But, McD eaten on a regular basis is life-threatening, perhaps we should limit the number of times someone can visit fast food chains in a month?

I would say so yes, maybe an extra rasher of bacon and a little bit more cheese, but yes rations along the same line as what happened in WW2. Fruit and veg are excused, so there is no reason to go hungry, and people will have all the nutrition they need. Builders, policemen and people in other physical jobs would get a small extra protein and sugar allowance as they will need it due to their jobs, but everyone else will have more or less the same. Those with special dietary requirements will have different rations, so all will be included.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ipoop
I do love mein :fuhrer: :tongue:

Well I'm approaching this ban as I am cannabis really, and I want cannabis to be legalised. Hell cannabis causes less damage than junk food can. So if they did ban junk food and unbanned weed then hmmm maybe I'd be okay with that, I'd be too high to care anyway :tongue:

I think the tax could work, I'd be okay with it if healthy snacks companies received investments from the tax for them to produce more and make them cheaper :yep: My last trip to Holland & Barret cost around £30 and that was for snack bars to get me through two weeks :zomg:

Agreed!
Original post by the mezzil
I would say so yes, maybe an extra rasher of bacon and a little bit more cheese, but yes rations along the same line as what happened in WW2. Fruit and veg are excused, so there is no reason to go hungry, and people will have all the nutrition they need. Builders, policemen and people in other physical jobs would get a small extra protein and sugar allowance as they will need it due to their jobs, but everyone else will have more or less the same. Those with special dietary requirements will have different rations, so all will be included.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I like this idea. Agreed.
Original post by nivvy21
Hmm, I like this idea. Agreed.

Far more effective than a fat tax.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They take up more space. On planes they charge you for extra luggage so it makes sense to charge people on their excess weight. If they want to stay at home and deteriorate that's their choice, but they should no longer receive NHS funding.

True. But, is that not discrimination?
Original post by nivvy21
True. But, is that not discrimination?

Absolutely, bur it's necessary. Smokers are discriminated against for their harmful affect on society. We should do the same to fat people.
Original post by nivvy21
What is bedroom tax?

And I'm sorry :frown:

Put on some extra layers maybe?

Wearing 3 layers, this cold pierces me like a bullet..

Bedroom tax is the tax they FORCE you to pay if someone leaves the room for 5 minutes.
Original post by RFowler
Loads of people eat fatty foods but are perfectly healthy. What harm do they do to society?

You probably didn't catch the full conversation. I was saying we shouldn't have a tax on fatty food but penalise those who are obese and cause problems for society.
Original post by Lord Frieza
Wearing 3 layers, this cold pierces me like a bullet..

Bedroom tax is the tax they FORCE you to pay if someone leaves the room for 5 minutes.

Oh, poor you!

What, that's ridiculous, where is this stupidity enforced?
You probably didn't catch the full conversation. I was saying we shouldn't have a tax on fatty food but penalise those who are obese and cause problems for society.

Yeah I realised that afterwards and deleted the post. Didn't read it through fully.
Absolutely, bur it's necessary. Smokers are discriminated against for their harmful affect on society. We should do the same to fat people.

Fair enough, agreed.
Original post by the mezzil

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rationing seems a bad idea to me. Plenty of people eat responsibly and include some fatty foods in their diet - how exactly would you determine limits? A one size fits all policy just wouldn't work.

Like I said, we should be teaching kids in school about healthy eating, and about growing their own food so they engage with it and enjoy it. Done the right way and with inclusion of growing their own, many would see it as a more fun activity and not just something they don't like and have to endure, therefore the attitude towards healthy eating would be more likely to continue into later life. That would help longer term and target the source instead of the symptoms. Education is the way forward.

There have been schemes like that at schools. I vaguely recall one in a struggling secondary school which improved their results a lot as they were eating much healthier. I think there was a thing on Countryfile about it a while back, might have been the one Prince Charles did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending