The Student Room Group

Could it be possible that you are everyone that has ever lived, and that will live

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Blabyda
There was an interesting short story based in this concept that i read once;

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

Wow that's a great story, and kind of what I was talking about earlier (without that 'God' guy)
If the multiverse theory is correct, then there are an infinite number of universes each with their own infinite number relating to them. Everything would therefore be impossible, and therefore, you, in an infinite number of universes, are someone else, and in another infinite number, you are another person. This constantly repeats. In other words, from a multiversal perspective, they are just as much you as they are, but in this universe, you just happen to be confined to this respective life.
Reply 22
Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
If the multiverse theory is correct, then there are an infinite number of universes each with their own infinite number relating to them. Everything would therefore be impossible, and therefore, you, in an infinite number of universes, are someone else, and in another infinite number, you are another person. This constantly repeats. In other words, from a multiversal perspective, they are just as much you as they are, but in this universe, you just happen to be confined to this respective life.

There's another interesting theory which states that there's an infinite number of universes created by each action we make, for example if I was to pick up a remote control then that is one universe of its own, however if I decided to stop myself from picking up that remote control then that's another universe that's been created. Meaning that the 1st universe in which I picked up the remote would continue from there, and the 2nd universe where I didn't pick up the remote would also continue from there.
So because of all the millions of decision we've made in our lives there are universes which are completely different from the one which we're in right now.

I know that this theory is extremely unlikely to be true but I find these kinds of paradoxes interesting
Reply 23
Original post by Skepz
There's another interesting theory which states that there's an infinite number of universes created by each action we make, for example if I was to pick up a remote control then that is one universe of its own, however if I decided to stop myself from picking up that remote control then that's another universe that's been created. Meaning that the 1st universe in which I picked up the remote would continue from there, and the 2nd universe where I didn't pick up the remote would also continue from there.
So because of all the millions of decision we've made in our lives there are universes which are completely different from the one which we're in right now.

I know that this theory is extremely unlikely to be true but I find these kinds of paradoxes interesting

I don't think that's very likely tbh, because why would a human action cause a new universe to be created? And also, why would you pick up a remote in one universe but not another if in both you are in exactly the same scenario (down to the atomic level). If your brain is identical in both universes, why would one of them want to pick it up and the other want to leave it down?

I know there are things at the quantum level which are truly random (like nuclear decay and some other quantum effects) so I guess they could cause another universe, but since quantum effects are generally sub-atomic I don't think there would be any observable difference in the universes :frown:
Original post by Skepz

While it is indeed improbable, it still remains a possibility.

On top of that though, considering that we are talking ad infinitum, then there are also divergent universes where your actions are repeatedly different, i.e., in the 3rd universe, you pick it up with your left foot (don't ask why). in the 4th, you pick it up using your thumb and index fingers only and in the 5th, you have psychic powers so you don't need to pick it up (again, don't ask).
Reply 25
I put this topic into google because I had a strip of acid and this is what my trip was. It was horrible and i'll never be the same again after what I so. In my trip we all came from the same energy at the point of the big bang where we were all one single consciousness are energy split off into everything that is the universe and we are everyone and everything all at the time we live every living life until the universe falls back in on itself and we become one again where we have what seems like an eternity just in your own mind and working out every possibility what can happen (and every possibility does happen) and how to start it again and that's the cycle forever. **** that some nasty stuff happens to some people and animals but i suppose you can't get any fairer I hope its nor right I've been trying to research cosmology,physics and quantum mechanics to put my mind at ease but everything I've researched so far has made it worse there's much more I didn't know who or where i was for about 14 hours. Basically were all ****ed but were doing it to ourselves
Yes, I believe that this is probably true. In fact as long as we can one day hope to have enough information about previous times (i.e. on a quantum scale), we will be able to reconstruct (ideationally or in a simulation) exactly how it felt to be any person on earth at any time, which is functionally equivalent to experiencing their consciousness.
Reply 27
wow

asking inane questions is not philosophy
We are all one and only one and we are all equal because we are all we all one?I dunnoSounds kinda like communism to me
Original post by MemeyBoi
We are all one and only one and we are all equal because we are all we all one?I dunnoSounds kinda like communism to me

dude you are 5year late
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
At the moment as you're reading this, you know that you are you and no one else, right?
But could it be possible that before you were born, your exact same consciousness that you're experiencing right now was in a different body such as your parents or friends for example. Meaning that we could all have one consciousness simultaneously but can only experience them individually?
Extra: If this idea was true and we were able to scientifically prove that it was true, do you think that everyone would be extremely kind to each other, and violence would immediately stop since people know that 'If I punch you or bomb you then I will inevitably be on the receiving end of it one day'. And 'If I give this homeless man £10k to help him out, then that would be me directly helping myself out in another lifetime"

Yes. I believe this to be the truth. I can feel it too. I had to become everybody in order to forgive everybody and in doing so I am able to forgive myself. We are all just children here and have no real understanding on why we are here and I think everyone just does the best they can with what they got. I feel like enlightenment feels a lot like schizophrenia at first. Or maybe they are just the same thing.
No. I cannot be the postman who just delivered my letter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending