The Student Room Group

Is there prejudice/discrimination against Oxbridge applicants?

Can certain things hinder your chances of getting in? Such as unusual hair styles, pierced/stretch ears, tattoos etc..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Judging by the look of some people in my college, I don't think so. Although it is best to look as normal as possible for the interviews.
:nah: Not really :nah:
Reply 3
You're not being very clear. One would get the impression that you're asking whether or not other universities might be biased against people who've applied to Oxbridge, which is pretty silly, needless to say. If you're asking whether Oxbridge dislikes unusual hair styles/piercings/tattoos, etc. then probably the answer would be no, as long as a person doesn't turn out an utter tramp at the interview, and of course as long as he has the proper academic requirements.
The admissions tutors expect you to look well-groomed and neat, so I would dress normally if I were you.
Original post by faketitle
You're not being very clear. One would get the impression that you're asking whether or not other universities might be biased against people who've applied to Oxbridge, which is pretty silly, needless to say. If you're asking whether Oxbridge dislikes unusual hair styles/piercings/tattoos, etc. then probably the answer would be no, as long as a person doesn't turn out an utter tramp at the interview, and of course as long as he has the proper academic requirements.

The title might have implied that, but the OP was pretty clearly nothing to do with that. :dry:

But yes, I'd like to re-iterate what people have said here - no serious discrimination based on how you look. Just don't look too scruffy; be presentable, like at any interview.
Reply 6
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7

And I suppose your luck's in if you're a gypsy..
Original post by faketitle

I was simply asking if an individual with what might be considered as an unconventional appearance might have a disadvantage in the admissions process.
Reply 9
Original post by Frannoooooooo
I was simply asking if an individual with what might be considered as an unconventional appearance might have a disadvantage in the admissions process.

Certainly, certainly.
Reply 10
Original post by tengentoppa
The admissions tutors expect you to look well-groomed and neat, so I would dress normally if I were you.

Well-groomed and neat... normal student... which one will it be? :colondollar:

Exactly. It's not the fact that they're turning away more black people than white, it's the fact that less black people obtain the necessary grades to get into Oxbridge. I've visited Cambridge on a school trip and seen black students, the whole discriminating against black people thing is just a misinterpretation of the ethnicity statistics.
No, there is no prejudice or discrimination on anything other than academic ability and teach-ability. You could go in looking like Darth Vader and they wouldn't notice.
I made a point of dressing especially well for my interviews, but now I'm here I realise that I actually didn't need to. I've seen people and lecturers wearing the most barmy things ever, and nobody even notices. I don't know whether my choice of dress did make a difference or not, but the only advice I'd give, is to stay clean, fresh and tidy. As long as you don't smell and go in with sensible clothing (i.e going in a Manchester City kit wouldn't be a good idea) then I'm sure it'll be fine!
Reply 15
I didn't look particularly smart for my interviews, my hair was a mess.

Got an offer though but both my interviewers were dressed really casually.
Reply 16
An admissions tutor told us that it doesn't matter too much. She says they won't discriminate based on appearance, and if you come in and are fantastic in what you know and how you apply it, they won't care. Then again, she said if people come in and don't seem to give across the right mentality dressed like that, they may then think 'he/she's not even bothered to dress smartly'.

Overall, it shouldn't make a difference. My assumption would be that it would just give a slight bias, which may have a minor effect if you're borderline - if I was interviewing someone who was dressed very unconventionally etc, I would probably think that they weren't that bothered about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by hogwartian1993
I made a point of dressing especially well for my interviews, but now I'm here I realise that I actually didn't need to. I've seen people and lecturers wearing the most barmy things ever, and nobody even notices. I don't know whether my choice of dress did make a difference or not, but the only advice I'd give, is to stay clean, fresh and tidy. As long as you don't smell and go in with sensible clothing (i.e going in a Manchester City kit wouldn't be a good idea) then I'm sure it'll be fine!

I don't think even wearing a City kit would be a particular problem, unless one of your interviewers was a die-hard United fan....
Reply 18
Lets not forget, the tutors themselves tend to be a bit of a dishevelled lot.
I went to Cambridge! After a stint working in London, I returned to my native Wales and worked in Cardiff! The bottom line is this. An Oxbridge education is utterly meaningless in Wales! If anything, there is out and out hostility which, I have no doubt, stems from a profound inferiority complex. I’ll give you one example. A chap was appointed as the head of an organisation I worked for. He was educated at Swansea university! As soon as he found out that I went to Cambridge (I’ll spare you the sordid details), he made it quite clear he did not want me there! As it transpired, I decided to move on in any event because I quickly realised that he was a complete buffoon! The moral of the story is that if you’re Welsh and you go to Oxbridge, don’t make the same mistake as I did! Stay in the south of England!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending