Am I the only who finds the royal family's educational qualifications embarrassing?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I bet they wish they could have paid enough attention on their studies to gain better grades, but their life is completely different to ours. But to be honest, their grades weren't bad. Sure, they may be laughed out of TSR, but that's nothing new with all the A*A*A*A*A*A*A* "I did a thousand A Levels" students we have here.

As for the Queen, she's almost 90, how much education do you honestly think was available for women when she was younger? Women in those days would have been lucky to get to a high school instead of becoming a housewife (or helping their Mother until they were old enough themselves, at least). Upper class or not, education still wasn't what was prioritised.
Jack Robinson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by midnightice)
It isn't embarrassing. Like you said, any idiot can get an A*; I know a lot of very dumb people with great grades. This just shows that grades mean nothing. Why would a member of the Royal family even try that hard in their exams when they don't need to to succeed in their life? They have everything on a plate for them.
exactly that. EXACTLY that. yup it's unfair. it's theocratic and post-modernist. it's ubiquitous. they have it all on a silver platter. yup that's what the problem is. glad you brought it out to fore, at long long lats.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
I don't want to turn this into a generic "monarchists vs republicans" thread but point 2 is nonsense considering France has no problem attracting tourists despite no longer having a monarchy. Tourists come here to see the palaces and so on, not the royals themselves - no reason why that still couldn't happen if we became a republic.

In response to the OP's point - yes, you're right, but the basis of monarchy is being born into the particular position, it has nothing to do with demonstrating intelligence or aptitude. So yes, you make a reasonable point...but it's not really the most relevant argument against the monarchy imho.
Unfortunately Point 1 in that list (that Royals don't have any power) is also subject to doubt. The Monarchy does retain some powers, the armed forces for example swear allegiance not to Parliament or the people but to the Queen. This may seem symbolic, but if push came to shove, it might not be.

Then there is the Privy Council, an unelected, secretive body which has members of the 'great and the good' and senior politicians, is allegiant to the Monarch and seems often to be involved in decisions. The PM rules sometimes by 'Royal Prerogative', by-passing Parliament and taking decisions with the Privy Council; eg, with the leave of the Monarch.

Then there's all that correspondence between Prince Charles and various government departments and hundreds of things he and the Queen are consulted about by ministers and apparently (we are told) not going forwards with legislation because they don't agree with it. The Guardian have tried for years to get the full details of this correspondence but keep being thwarted, a sure sign that it is less than democratic.
DJMayes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My thoughts on the whole William/Cambridge issue:

Being a Cambridge student (And actually knowing one of the students who is being quoted as pro-monarchy in the media articles personally), I do not think that there is as widespread controversy in the students of the university as the media seems to be implying. At first, it does seem like an insult. Purely looking at the letters, ABC is miles below the A Level entry requirements and whilst A*AA is cited as the entry requirements I do not know of a single person who did not get higher. However, complaints based on these grades are short-sighted - first of all, the A* didn't exist at the time is A Levels were set, and arguments could be made based on grade inflation etc. that ABC could be roughly equivalent to A*AB, for example, which people have been known to get in with, though I don't know any personally. Moreover, they are not even his most recent qualifications, and so are sort of irrelevant. Then, you need to factor into the course. It is not an undergraduate degree, so the A Levels aren't most relevant. The degree would take more priority, and I have no clue what the entry requirements for the sorts of course he is taking are.

The only true outrage I see is that he is having a course tailor made for him, which I cannot and have not seen anyone else manage to justify. However, the media articles I have seen are "Royal studying at Cambridge University, only ABC instead of minimum entry requirements of A*AA" and if you just take that at face value I can see why people would be insulted and consider it unfair.
User1014865
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In terms of UK politics they are of no real importance. The fate of the country do not rest in their hands - they're figureheads. So you really cannot compare the Royal family to the current president of the United States.

Put the typical "substandard grades = not worthy of living" TSR fallacy to bed please. Their grades doesn't render them incapable of fulfilling noble tasks - they're good at what they do.

The fact they've been taught at the Britian's finest schools but yet received substandard grades is worth discussing, if anything.

Royal family paraphernalia sell like hot-cakes in London. The Royal family do attract attention which draws in the money.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jack Robinson)
Yes, considering Prince William's gotten himself into Cambridge, and though the course isn't a conventional one, I don't think anybody gotten in with more mediocre A levels than his. Then there's prince charles our future king, he's done 5 O levels and TWO A levels gettings Bs and Cs AND he got HIMSELF into Camb as well. Then there's the others who've done way sub-par subjects such Georgraphy, PE, politics etc for A level and have still gotten awful grades - Bs and Cs, the like. Then there's the cherry on the pie, the Queen herself - she's got no qualifications AT ALL according to the Telegraph.
Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? Surely not? We're being ruled by a pack of dunces. They admitted it themselves (Princess Diana did, at least)! What are we waiting for??? REVOLUTION!!!!!!
A lack of higher education doesn't make them dunces, that's snobbish nonsense. Honestly I couldn't care less about their qualifications, I really don't think it's entirely relevant to what they do.
User1014865
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
As for the Queen, she's almost 90, how much education do you honestly think was available for women when she was younger? Women in those days would have been lucky to get to a high school instead of becoming a housewife (or helping their Mother until they were old enough themselves, at least). Upper class or not, education still wasn't what was prioritised.
Good point - especially as she's in a family that epitomise tradition.
username878045
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DJMayes)
The degree would take more priority, and I have no clue what the entry requirements for the sorts of course he is taking are.

The only true outrage I see is that he is having a course tailor made for him, which I cannot and have not seen anyone else manage to justify. However, the media articles I have seen are "Royal studying at Cambridge University, only ABC instead of minimum entry requirements of A*AA" and if you just take that at face value I can see why people would be insulted and consider it unfair.
The entry requirements for the course he is taking are simply that you have the money to pay - it is a commercial course, with no academic requirements.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Consternations, deep ones because when drunk I can and do readily and unabashedly abandon all ppunctuation/grammar/things of that ilk and later I sorley sorely regret it..
:facepalm2: I meant what are the 'incriminating circumstances' you attach to William?
Jack Robinson
Rep:
?
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
A lack of higher education doesn't make them dunces, that's snobbish nonsense. Honestly I couldn't care less about their qualifications, I really don't think it's entirely relevant to what they do.
it's embarrassing seeing as Obama got into Harvard. and I like your ODE to TSR by the way, the bear is right, glory be to you
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're inbred. Low intelligence is one of the consequences - as is William going bald so young.
Jack Robinson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Birkenhead)
:facepalm2: I meant what are the 'incriminating circumstances' you attach to William?
I suggest you strip yourself of your title and call yourself from now onwards 'Squire Birkenhead' or 'Birkenhead, Esq.' because the title 'Lord' is false, it is all now clear as day to me, a LORD will not be as ambiguous as you were and then facepalm himself because of his own remarkless ingueinty. Now lsten, woudlnt' you say that being born into the roryal faimly be an INCRIMINAING cricumstnace? I'll expoiuund at length if you like, but ponder over it allitte first. Exert those logicalf faculties a bit.
username878045
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it's embarrassing seeing as Obama got into Harvard. and I like your ODE to TSR by the way, the bear is right, glory be to you
Obama is far more comparable in his role to Cameron than the Queen.
Jack Robinson
Rep:
?
(Original post by PythianLegume)
Obama is far more comparable in his role to Cameron than the Queen.
that isn't a generally known fact, besides she's taken all our moeny, what gives her the right since she hasn't got a proper enough set of grey cells in her head, what, i say, givees her the right, to be a proper parasite and such all our wealth? what iask of you? and i leave it to you.
castelo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aniaa)
seems that we have British Robespierre here.
I'm not from UK so I actually don't care who rules over you but I agree that its unfair that 'royal people' go to good unis while having bad notes. Ohhh, and I think you guys are too fond of your new baby prince
It seems you don't know English history. Cromwell killed the King of England almost 150 years before Robespierre killed Louis XVI.

PS : I'm not british either.
a-witty-name
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Yes but with the global coverage of the royal wedding etc, they're probably the ones giving us a lot of publicity recently.
O RLY?
fuze-mo25
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be honest qualifications are not the only measure of intelliegence, there are countless graduates who have no general smarts or common sense. Just because someone gets 100% in A level maths does not mean he or she is better than anyone else at anything but maths. And with regards to needing cleverer figureheads its not exactly the british empire era were there was important and country changing things to do. I dont even think they do anything anyway. Hardly makes a difference what qualifications they have.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
You didn't have to comment. About 3 other people have said the exact same thing. I get it.
I would disagree with their point anyway - the royals attract publicity to the UK, the influence of the royal family is not just due to the buildings they live in.
Namige
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Wild Youth)
Bs and Cs are not embarrassing grades to have.
Anything below an A is embarrassing to have. Considering almost everyone gets As nowadays.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Namige)
Anything below an A is embarrassing to have. Considering almost everyone gets As nowadays.
It's embarrassing that you didn't read the context.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (46)
13.37%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.03%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.44%
I'm finding things difficult (115)
33.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.72%

Watched Threads