The Student Room Group

When should I start revising for 11 Exams.

For maths I got C1 - (C) C2 - (C) S1 - (D) = Overall I got a C
Economics unit 1 - (C) Unit 2 - (B) = Overall I got a C
Sociology Unit 1 (B) Unit 2 (A) = Overall I got a B

I'm retaking AS Maths C1 and S1, Economics Unit 1 and 2.

5 A2 exams - C3, C4, M1 Maths.
Unit 3 and 4 Economics
Unit 3 and 4 Sociology.
I have 11 exams to sit in May/June.
When should I start revising and how likely is it to get AAA
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sonya786
For maths I got C1 - (C) C2 - (C) S1 - (D) = Overall I got a C
Economics unit 1 - (C) Unit 2 - (B) = Overall I got a C
Sociology Unit 1 (B) Unit 2 (A) = Overall I got a B

I'm retaking AS Maths C1 and S1, Economics Unit 1 and 2.

5 A2 exams - C3, C4, M1 Maths.
Unit 3 and 4 Economics
Unit 3 and 4 Sociology.
I have 11 exams to sit in May/June.
When should I start revising and how likely is it to get AAA

Hello :smile:
Firstly I ought to say that everyone is different when it comes to revision. Some revise for months, others cram for a few weeks. I would start by thinking about how you have revised before, could you improve your methods? How would you alter it to fit your busy exam period? (Allow more time etc). Then I would start thinking about revision methods. I don't know anything about economics or sociology but for maths it's all about past papers. Aim to complete them all. twice. (I know there are tons so this is a big ask - basically do as many as you can but doing them a second time is often helpful so bear that in mind).

Okay...AAA. For a grade A at A2 you need 480/600 ums. I can only really advise about maths. Having studied C3 and C4 retaking C1 should be a good opportunity to get a good mark as lets face it...having done C4 C1 is okay.
What I would do is take that 480 and minus your C2 ums (on your results sheet) then minus what you think you'll get in your retakes, you can then see what you need to aim for.

Hope that is of some use
:smile:
Nobody can say for certain since it varies depending on how you revise and how you're getting on with the subjects - what's important is you learning what you need to, rather than doing an arbitrary amount of revision. However with that amount of exams it's realistically going to take quite a while, so better start sooner than later.

As for your hopes of getting AAA, I think it may be a bit optimistic given that you're essentially taking your entire Maths and Economics A-levels in one sitting, and didn't do too great the first time round. Can't rule anything out but it would be one hell of an achievement if you could somehow manage it.
Reply 3
Hi, what questions came up in your unit 1 sociology paper? Are you with aqa?
Reply 4
Original post by Alevelrhm
Hi, what questions came up in your unit 1 sociology paper? Are you with aqa?

Yeah I'm with AQA :frown: and it was on theorists view on family and gender
Reply 5
Original post by g.k.galloway
Hello :smile:
Firstly I ought to say that everyone is different when it comes to revision. Some revise for months, others cram for a few weeks. I would start by thinking about how you have revised before, could you improve your methods? How would you alter it to fit your busy exam period? (Allow more time etc). Then I would start thinking about revision methods. I don't know anything about economics or sociology but for maths it's all about past papers. Aim to complete them all. twice. (I know there are tons so this is a big ask - basically do as many as you can but doing them a second time is often helpful so bear that in mind).

Okay...AAA. For a grade A at A2 you need 480/600 ums. I can only really advise about maths. Having studied C3 and C4 retaking C1 should be a good opportunity to get a good mark as lets face it...having done C4 C1 is okay.
What I would do is take that 480 and minus your C2 ums (on your results sheet) then minus what you think you'll get in your retakes, you can then see what you need to aim for.

Hope that is of some use
:smile:

Thank you so much for your advice! I'm retaking C1 and C2 now :smile: Yeah i'm finding C1 and C2 much easier.. Is C3 n C4 really hard? I got just about a D for S1 38/75.. Total paper is 450.. To get an A I'll need 360. 450 - 38= 412. 412 - 360= 52. I can only lose 52 marks in the 5 exams to get an A. :frown:
I panick when I revise and get a question wrong which I really hate!
I've started revising since the start of January.. Do you think I started late?
Reply 6
Thank you so much for your advice! I'm retaking C1 and C2 now :smile: Yeah i'm finding C1 and C2 much easier.. Is C3 n C4 really hard? I got just about a D for S1 38/75.. Total paper is 450.. To get an A I'll need 360. 450 - 38= 412. 412 - 360= 52. I can only lose 52 marks in the 5 exams to get an A. :frown:
I panick when I revise and get a question wrong which I really hate!
I've started revising since the start of January.. Do you think I started late?

No. I havent even properly started yet. Start early = burn yourself out
Reply 7
I would resit C2, our maths tutor says it's better to resit C1 and C2 than S1 as you have built on these with C3 and C4 so should be easy and you should easily get a high mark, would be better than learning all the formula's for S1 but if you want do S1 as well :-)
Reply 8
Original post by ssjt
I would resit C2, our maths tutor says it's better to resit C1 and C2 than S1 as you have built on these with C3 and C4 so should be easy and you should easily get a high mark, would be better than learning all the formula's for S1 but if you want do S1 as well :-)

Do you think I can get an A? I've started revising for it this month.. is it late?
Reply 9
Original post by Jkizer
No. I havent even properly started yet. Start early = burn yourself out

How many exams do you have?
Reply 10
How many exams do you have?

In total, i think i have 7 A2 exams and 2 AS resits.

With economics, you probably only need to 'revise' unit 1. The rest will be backed up further my A2.

Only you can decide what grade you will ultimately get. But i would rather say begin 'light' revision at this time and build it up progressively, otherwise you will exhaust all the past papers and forget the stuff you learnt.
Honestly, it's all about learning the way you learn. I revise progressively through the year, by doing notes / read over notes and understand them / do textbook questions on the run up to the exams, then a month before I start doing past papers and mark each one and do another string of past papers and generally ask my teachers lots of questions.

P.S. If you find panicking a real problem, then you really need to resolve it, as it can cost you marks in exams over silly stuff you *know* you know. So whenever you can't do a question, don't stress, leave it, do some other work and go back to it when you're calm.
Reply 12
Original post by AmyAintDead
Honestly, it's all about learning the way you learn. I revise progressively through the year, by doing notes / read over notes and understand them / do textbook questions on the run up to the exams, then a month before I start doing past papers and mark each one and do another string of past papers and generally ask my teachers lots of questions.

P.S. If you find panicking a real problem, then you really need to resolve it, as it can cost you marks in exams over silly stuff you *know* you know. So whenever you can't do a question, don't stress, leave it, do some other work and go back to it when you're calm.

Thanks! Gona hopefully do all ques in text book n then move on to past papers :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Jkizer
In total, i think i have 7 A2 exams and 2 AS resits.

With economics, you probably only need to 'revise' unit 1. The rest will be backed up further my A2.

Only you can decide what grade you will ultimately get. But i would rather say begin 'light' revision at this time and build it up progressively, otherwise you will exhaust all the past papers and forget the stuff you learnt.

Thank you! When should I start doing past papers?
Reply 14
I think it's completely possible to get an A. If it's any help I got a C at AS and hoping to push it up to an A. Starting to go through past papers just a couple a week from now til exams. Good luck you can do it :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ssjt
I think it's completely possible to get an A. If it's any help I got a C at AS and hoping to push it up to an A. Starting to go through past papers just a couple a week from now til exams. Good luck you can do it :smile:

how many exams do you have and what are you studying?
Reply 16
I would start now..

Quick Reply

Latest