Dad wants to come to concert with me...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I feel really awful putting this on here - but I have no idea where else to seek advice - I can't talk to my friends about this because they will laugh at me.

Basically for christmas my dad got me 2 tickets to see Katy Perry. Great I thought - I said to him "Now I just have to choose someone to come with me" - thinking I'd choose out of my friends. But he said "I'm coming with you" and laughed.

I thought he was joking and laughed too but then I realised he was being serious.

A couple of days later I couldn't tell him how I felt so I just said I've been thinking and just want to sell the tickets as I'd rather have the money. In my eyes he bought the tickets for me so technically they're mine. But then he said he feels insulted (which I understand) and that he'd go to the concert on his own instead if I didn't want to go.

I know he likes Katy Perry's music and everything but I feel really embarrassed going with my dad. It's not even like I'm 13 or 14 going to my first concert... I'm 20. And we're seated in the aisles so it's not like I can blend in with everyone else and pretend I'm there alone (which sounds bad enough).

I have no idea how to deal with this - please help
Dusky Mauve
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No one apart from you is going to care that you're there with your Dad.
Do you not like doing stuff with him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Dusky Mauve)
No one apart from you is going to care that you're there with your Dad.
Do you not like doing stuff with him?
I've been to concerts with him in the past (Foreigner, Meat Loaf) but I'd feel awkward going to a Katy Perry one with him..
Mindless Behavior
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally, I'd just go with him. I doubt anyone is going to be paying any attention to you they'll be paying attention to the performer(s). So there's no need to be embarrassed really. And it sounds like he really wants to go!
jefw123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What an awesome Dad... go with him! Meanie :P
Dusky Mauve
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been to concerts with him in the past (Foreigner, Meat Loaf) but I'd feel awkward going to a Katy Perry one with him..
I'm sure there'll be quite a few Dads there. I'd stick it out if it'll make him happy.
I think you'll find you still have fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
cant_think_of_name
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
An old friend of mine once said that her Dad accompanied her to an N-Dubz concert. She was 13, tbf, so I can understand it, but apparently he sat at the back reading a book while Dappy and Tulisa and the other one did all sorts of naughty things on stage :rolleyes:

So, in other words, it can't get worse than that. Just go with him He sounds like a cool guy!
spspsp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lighten up! have a pint with your dad before you go! he sounds great!
beckaroo7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd just go with him. Nobody's going to care but you. You can still have a nice time
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I feel really awful putting this on here - but I have no idea where else to seek advice - I can't talk to my friends about this because they will laugh at me.

Basically for christmas my dad got me 2 tickets to see Katy Perry. Great I thought - I said to him "Now I just have to choose someone to come with me" - thinking I'd choose out of my friends. But he said "I'm coming with you" and laughed.

I thought he was joking and laughed too but then I realised he was being serious.

A couple of days later I couldn't tell him how I felt so I just said I've been thinking and just want to sell the tickets as I'd rather have the money. In my eyes he bought the tickets for me so technically they're mine. But then he said he feels insulted (which I understand) and that he'd go to the concert on his own instead if I didn't want to go.

I know he likes Katy Perry's music and everything but I feel really embarrassed going with my dad. It's not even like I'm 13 or 14 going to my first concert... I'm 20. And we're seated in the aisles so it's not like I can blend in with everyone else and pretend I'm there alone (which sounds bad enough).

TBH when I read your comments I assumed that you were 13 or 14 but you are an adult - why on earth would you find this embarrassing
Freier._.lance
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go with your dad, in 20 years or so you'll look back and be glad you went with him. Parents are only around for so long.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Santana, ACDC, Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society, Black Stone Cherry & Black Sabbath.

All bands I've gone to watch with my mum, never been the slightest bit embarrassed! I love that we have a small overlap in music taste so that we get to go to gigs together. It's nice you know - being able to spend time with a parent doing something you both enjoy. Go with your dad, have a couple of drinks and enjoy the night. Tbh, it might just be the kind of thing your dad wanted to do with you so he can have some time doing fun things with his kid.
PPPPatrick
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

If I had a daughter I'd love to go to a concert with her!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TenOfThem)
TBH when I read your comments I assumed that you were 13 or 14 but you are an adult - why on earth would you find this embarrassing
No need to make this personal. :confused:
I'd much rather go with my friend so I can have a good night out. I've been to at least 5 concerts with my dad. I know a couple of my friends who I could ask as they're massive fans of hers.
Thanks for your opinions anyway everyone.
username504651
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I went to Katy Perry with both my parents for her teenage dream tour and i'm going with them again for her prism tour because they got them me for Christmas. no one cares who you're at the concert with, just go with him!
Anonymous #1
I've had a re think and I'll go with my dad now. I suppose most dad's would rather be seen dead then going to a Katy Perry concert... so I should be grateful that he wants to go with me. Thanks everyone
MissDavies
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cant_think_of_name)
An old friend of mine once said that her Dad accompanied her to an N-Dubz concert. She was 13, tbf, so I can understand it, but apparently he sat at the back reading a book while Dappy and Tulisa and the other one did all sorts of naughty things on stage :rolleyes:

So, in other words, it can't get worse than that. Just go with him He sounds like a cool guy!
My mum went to see N-Dubz with me when I was 18 and it was great fun.

OP, I don't see the problem with going with your dad? No one will notice or care and if you both like Katy Perry then it sounds like a nice, thoughtful gift.
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No need to make this personal. :confused:
You were asking about a personal issue :confused:

I'd much rather go with my friend so I can have a good night out. I've been to at least 5 concerts with my dad. I know a couple of my friends who I could ask as they're massive fans of hers.
I don't get what the issue is - if you want to go to a concert with friends then surely you buy tickets and go

Your Dad has bought tickets for him and you to go - if you like Katie Perry then this seems like a nice gift
Deshi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol, reminds me of this:

http://www.studentbeans.com/worldwei...certs5193.html

http://static3.beanscdn.co.uk/module...tionerdad8.png
http://static1.beanscdn.co.uk/module...tionerdad9.png
Delph123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've had a re think and I'll go with my dad now. I suppose most dad's would rather be seen dead then going to a Katy Perry concert... so I should be grateful that he wants to go with me. Thanks everyone
I think you've made the right choice, he obviously wanted to go with you 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise