6 word story Watch

AFreeman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've recently come across what is called a "6 word story" which has been attributed to Ernest Hemingway and the story goes like this. For sale:baby shoes, never worn.

Can you guys figure out, what the story is actually saying?
Do you think it counts as a "story"
Can you write a 6 word story of your own?
kylobe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i think its supposed to highlight the tragedy of stillborns? the child is dead, the parents have put an ad up to sell the clothing they brought for it.... and it most definitely counts as a story, i mean, it depends how you define "art" haha bc anything and everything can be a story by the words true definition. what defines art, what defines an emotional experience lol

my own story (but its a bit pants): i called her to know myself.
Delta, Δ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Then they lived happily ever after! =D
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Giovanni do not eat that lizard
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I warned you Adele. Now look.
AFreeman
Rep:
?
(Original post by kylobe)
i think its supposed to highlight the tragedy of stillborns? the child is dead, the parents have put an ad up to sell the clothing they brought for it.... and it most definitely counts as a story, i mean, it depends how you define "art" haha bc anything and everything can be a story by the words true definition. what defines art, what defines an emotional experience lol

my own story (but its a bit pants): i called her to know myself.
I think you've got the concept of the story spot on and i completely agree with you that it is in fact a story, and could you explain the concept of your 6 word story cause i cant seem to figure it out
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your daughter was negged to death
AFreeman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Delta, Δ)
Then they lived happily ever after! =D
One could argue whether this is a story or not because it doesnt have a beginning and middle but only and ending

(Original post by the bear)
Giovanni do not eat that lizard
I actually really like this one
kylobe
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AFreeman)
I think you've got the concept of the story spot on and i completely agree with you that it is in fact a story, and could you explain the concept of your 6 word story cause i cant seem to figure it out
sure!! i was thinking about the futility of trying to get love to complete you, and i was thinking about phoning your s.o. to try and find a piece of yourself. goodness knows, its up for interpretation, and im sure whatever you were thinking of is true and valid!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Turn left at the baldacchino Excellency
AFreeman
Rep:
?
(Original post by kylobe)
sure!! i was thinking about the futility of trying to get love to complete you, and i was thinking about phoning your s.o. to try and find a piece of yourself. goodness knows, its up for interpretation, and im sure whatever you were thinking of is true and valid!
Ahh, now I understand and that idea sort of reminds me of a quote from the film 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' I know i've gone completely off topic but oh well the quote goes “Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a ****ed-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours.”

HSRMJ
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is a load of ****
kylobe
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh, now I understand and that idea sort of reminds me of a quote from the film 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' I know i've gone completely off topic but oh well the quote goes “Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a ****ed-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours.”
thats such a good quote and thats what i was trying to get across ahh!!!! thank you for showing me ^__^
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Putin stroked the elderly German's moustache
Delta, Δ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One could argue whether this is a story or not because it doesnt have a beginning and middle but only and ending

I actually really like this one
No one said this is an ending.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sale: Parachute, never opened, used once.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
is it fixed yet Sir Jimmy ?
AFreeman
Rep:
?
(Original post by EsomR)
Sale: Parachute, never opened, used once.
This is actually genius, you couldn't have possibly just come up with it on the spot right now, if so bravo to you my friend you have potential to be a great writer one day!
cant_think_of_name
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Forest of doubt hides tree inside.

Hmm...
Sparkle24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you think it counts as a "story"
Can you write a 6 word story of your own?
Yes,I think it still counts.
My story:
Three,two,one.What?Let's party!
What a story :eek: I amaze myself
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (150)
18.56%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.78%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.57%

Watched Threads