Please help! Bleeding on cerelle/cerazette, is this normal? Watch

Andylou122
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would say it is the pill I started taking mine after I had a miscarriage last August n had two normal periods started the pill and jus bled every day since. I stopped it last week because Iv had enough and coming off it is even more horrible felt so sick had shakes and pain In stomach doctor said it’s jus the effects. Wish I never started it been such a horrible experience.
orang3juic3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've been on cerelle for approximately 8 months? From my experience, the first 3 months were irregular and I would have periods every 2 weeks etc. However, they were much lighter than usual - I wanted to take the mini pill because I had heavy periods. Once 3 months passed, my periods began to settle for once per month. At the 6 months mark, I had no periods, but I started getting PMS symptoms, mainly cramps etc. Now, its been 8 months and I've started bleeding, not quite sure if its a period or spotting.Obviously, everyone reacts differently to the pill, but I would recommend sticking it out since you are giving yourself a daily dose of hormones which your body is not used to. Also sore boobs is a thing.
tiamaria96
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys!

There are quite a few scary & negative posts about Cerelle on different forums and because I very recently started taking Cerelle I just thought I'd share my experience in case it helps anyone else . I had been on the combined pill for 2 years from the age of 17 (I'm 22 now), but then stopped taking as it gave me severe migraines, so was a bit dubious about trying any other type of hormone contraception. I've always suffered from quite heavy periods so my doctor suggested that I try a mini pill as the lack of estrogen shouldn't cause any migraines. Thankfully I hadn't read any forums like this one before I started because I think reading about the negative side effects would have massively put me off!

I started taking Cerelle on day 2 or 3 of my period at the start of January (2019). My periods didn't always run like clockwork (sometimes there'd be 28 days between periods, sometimes there'd be 35 days) and I would occassionaly miss a period (maybe once or twice a year) but they were never more than 6 days long. However, my first period on this pill lasted 25 days!! This was absolutely horrific and just made me feel really down and fed up. I didn't have any severe cramps or pain, just the inconvenience of bleeding for 25 days straight, feeling bloated, having to spend loads of sanitary products etc- plus it made me feel unbelievably tired from all the blood loss, I actually started taking iron supplements during it. The first week was just like a normal period in terms of flow, but then from around day 7 to day 14 the bleeding became unbelievably heavy and (sorry for tmi) there was lots and lots of clots-so much so that I started to think maybe I was having a miscarriage. I did ring my doctor and she reassured me that this was a normal side effect and was a result of my body adjusting to the hormones, and that I should just stick with it as it can take 3 months for your body to adjust properly. It was around this point that I Google'd something like 'Cerelle prolonged bleeding' and was relieved to see that it appeared to be a common thing. When it got to around day 20 I'd become so down and frustrated that I almost decided to stop taking the pill because there just was no real sign of the bleeding stopping, but I decided to just stick with it because I thought that if I did stop, there would just be a withdrawal bleed and wouldn't really solve anything, and was worried that the drop in hormones might cause migraines. Then finally the last 2 or 4 days were just like a typical 'end of period' type bleed and it finally stopped!

I'm coming up to the end of my third pack and haven't had a period since that first horrible one (so I've missed 2 periods so far, and if I wasn't on the pill I'd be due to start the third monthly period next week). I'm in no way disputing that the people who experience irregular periods or even more prolonged periods are over exaggerating in any way, but I think if you're thinking of starting Cerelle/have been put on it by your doctor you shouldn't be put off by other people's experiences as every body is different and it clearly agrees with some people better than others in terms of negative side effects. I personally would suggest that if you like having a regular period and you haven't been told that you can't take the combined pill to consider taking that one instead because like I said, I haven't had a period since finishing my first pack so it might not suit you. On the other hand, I wouldn't take this in the hope that it will stop your periods completely because it may in fact just make them really irregular- I know that some people have a period every 2 weeks on Cerelle.

One last thing (so sorry, I know I've rambled on for ages now lol), I know that one of the most common negative effects of Cerelle is that it can make your skin really bad. During my second week on the pill (days 7-14 of my period, when the bleeding was at it's heaviest), my skin became unbelievably bad and I generally have quite clear skin so this made me feel so awful and rubbish about myself. It cleared up as soon as the heaviest part of my period was over though and I haven't had any skin issues since - but it's hard to know what exactly is causing yout skin to break out in spots, because I was really stressed with uni and of course stressed with the prolonged bleeding at this time so may have been the stress that caused the breakout rather than the actual pill. Also, others have experienced weight gain on this pill. I did when I was on Microgynon 30 (the combined pill) a few years ago, but I've actually lost weight since being on Cerelle - not loads, but just a bit of weight off my middle. Again, it's hard to say if this is because of the pill or because of other things.

Other than the horrible first month on Cerelle, I've had a positive experience and for me not having a period is a lovely bonus so far my experience has been much better than when I was on the combined pill. I've only taken 3 packs but (touch wood) I don't start getting any of the negative symptoms other people suffer with!
Anonymous #8
Report 1 month ago
It’s normal. The pills aren’t that string to fully stop periods and can cause bleeding,If you find any more abnormalities such as excessive heavy bleeding then go to a doctor but the bleeding should soon stop
(Original post by Tez09)
Am on cerelle and have been bleeding for 3 weeks now but I start taking it last year and had no bleed but now I am bleed all the time it slows down on a night but when I wake up am bleeding again and don't no if it is the pill
Madsmadyh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I been on the cerelle pill for 5 months in february i had 5 periods in that one month i stopped bleeding for a day slept with ny partner then straight after started bleeding again bled for about 2 weeks came off for a day and now bang bleeding again happens every time i come off and sleep woth ny partner i bleed then have a full on period for 2 weeks im currebtly bleeding now but the past 2 days i havent the pain is unreal i feel like im in labour having contractions most of the time its complete s**t if you ask me
Sarah Flynn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello i have the same problem has you can you recomened another pill for me to try thank you
Sarah Flynn
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by finchieface)
I was on cerazette for 5 months and took it exactly the same time every day. After the first month, I bled consistently without a break for 4 months - my doctor kept insisting it would settle down! Anyway, the second I went on another pill it stopped. I know these things work differently for everyone, as I have had friends who had no period at all on it etc!
Hello iam having the same problem has you can you recomend another pill has i getting fed up with it x
GRVH1991
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’ve been on this for 3 months and have had to come off it. My jaw and neck are covered in hormonal acne and I’ve become so depressed. I have horrid insomnia also. I’m like a zombie. I’ve struggled to do anything but sleep for a week now. My work has suffered as a result. Only, sort of, plus side is that I haven’t had a period since taking it. I would stay clear of this pill and most mini-pills.
Anonymous #9
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by GRVH1991)
I’ve been on this for 3 months and have had to come off it. My jaw and neck are covered in hormonal acne and I’ve become so depressed. I have horrid insomnia also. I’m like a zombie. I’ve struggled to do anything but sleep for a week now. My work has suffered as a result. Only, sort of, plus side is that I haven’t had a period since taking it. I would stay clear of this pill and most mini-pills.
So sorry you've had such a horrible time on this pill! When I first started taking it I had really bad acne and it did bring me down a lot - it did clear up once I started my fourth pack though. Good for you for stopping taking it because you're not supposed to suffer on any form of contraception, but I don't think you should tell other people to avoid these types of pills because every body is different plus doctor's do advise you to wait at least 3 months to allow your body to adjust to the change in hormones. Plus it's the only option for a lot of people!
I do hope you find a different method that works for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (508)
26.54%
The paper was reasonable (829)
43.31%
Not feeling great about that exam (374)
19.54%
It was TERRIBLE (203)
10.61%

Watched Threads