JadeMay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi I'm currently revising for my mocks and don't really know how to revise for English Lit. I was thinking of getting a revision guide but don't know what one to get. The two texts I've studied are 'An Inspector Calls' and 'Of Mice and Men'. Thanks in advance for your help.
Admor1994
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't recommend a revision guide. From my experience, you will struggle to get the high grades by using revision guides. They promote certain meanings to the texts and highlight some literary devices more than others. To get a good grade you need to develop your own opinions.
I used to revise by, firstly, making a time line of the key event of the text then find examples of similes, rhetorical questions etc and think about what they bring to the readers perception of the character or authors feelings.
You might feel like you are revising a lot for English lit but done efficiently, little can go a long way.
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Practise essays, write notes

I bought revision guides but didn't really use them - pretty much pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gibber96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Revision guides are pretty awful for English Lit.I pick some past essay questions and write standalone "perfect paragraphs" in response to those questions, focusing on in depth text analysis and structuring your paragraphs so that they are concise, original and meaningful. You don't need to practise writing whole essays, in my experience, but definitely think about how you would approach past questions.
JadeMay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks, I don't think I'll get a revision guide now. Had my mock exam today and it was awful, so hopefully your tips will help me for next time! Thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (40)
5.96%
Uncertainty around my education (78)
11.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (85)
12.67%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.51%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (37)
5.51%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (72)
10.73%
Financial worries (42)
6.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (29)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (40)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (21)
3.13%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (65)
9.69%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (53)
7.9%

Watched Threads