Intermediate 2 exams in Scottish schools. Why some do them others don't? Watch

Millymuldoon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello everyone.
i'm just unsure and wondering if anyone can clear it up for me?
My son has done standard grades last summer and also intermediate exams.
At my friend's son's school they only do standard grade but no intermediates.
I thought all high schools did the same exams. Is there a reason for only doing the standard grades and not the intermediates?
Thanks in advance for any help.
kylerfc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Millymuldoon)
Hello everyone.
i'm just unsure and wondering if anyone can clear it up for me?
My son has done standard grades last summer and also intermediate exams.
At my friend's son's school they only do standard grade but no intermediates.
I thought all high schools did the same exams. Is there a reason for only doing the standard grades and not the intermediates?
Thanks in advance for any help.
All schools have the ability to present pupils for any level. For most subjects there is not a massive difference between standard grade and intermediate exams. Whether it is the standard grade exams or intermediate is done to the school policy or even that of the subject department head. Some schools will only do SG exams for S4, others allow for a mix of SG and intermediate. The important part is they are can be regarded as practically the equivalent of the other I.e if a 1 at SG is asked for then an A at Int 2 is generally seen as the roughly the same. For example, in my school the maths and English departments preferred the SG exam so we sat that whilst the science and social science departments preferred the intermediate exams.

Although, if anything, the intermediate exams can be better at preparing you for the Higher though as a result that can be seen to make it more difficult. However this isn't always the case, and important it is not a problem for your son to have done both, just the same as it is not a problem only doing SGs.
Millymuldoon
Rep:
?
Thanks for your quick reply!
My son did 3 Int2's and got an A in each of them. So, is this basically equivalent to 1's at SG then?
He got a 3 for his maths and english, maybe not the best, but did his best!
He's now doing Int 2 in these subjects. Would i be correct in saying he's not therefore allowed to sit the Higher in these subjects as he did'nt get a 1 or 2 in the SG.?
Thanks again.
Maureen
kylerfc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Millymuldoon)
Thanks for your quick reply!
My son did 3 Int2's and got an A in each of them. So, is this basically equivalent to 1's at SG then?
He got a 3 for his maths and english, maybe not the best, but did his best!
He's now doing Int 2 in these subjects. Would i be correct in saying he's not therefore allowed to sit the Higher in these subjects as he did'nt get a 1 or 2 in the SG.?
Thanks again.
Maureen
Yeah basically equivalent, if not slightly better than that.
And I assume he is doing these Int 2 exams for Maths and English in S5 if so, then provided he gets an A or a B (usually down to school though what grades they want to be able to sit the higher) he should be allowed to sit it in S6.
Millymuldoon
Rep:
?
Hi again.
Thanks for your reply again, really do appreciate it.
I am now a lot clearer of the exam situation. Yeah, my son's doing Int 2 Maths and English in 5th year. Also, Int 2 Biology, Higher Graph Comm and Higher Product Design.
Not sure of what 6th year will bring. Ideally would like an Apprenticeship of some sort rather than going back for a 6 th year.
Thanks again.
Maureen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (164)
17.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (82)
8.72%
No I am happy with my course choice (560)
59.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (134)
14.26%

Watched Threads