The Student Room Group

Cockiest sentence from your personal statement?

You don't have to quote exactly, if you're worried about plagiarism.
It may be better if you change it some.

Mine was perhaps "English was my highest GCSE grade and after gaining full marks in my AS exam, I can't wait to get involved in an even more advanced, degree-level of learning."

Or "The subject caught my attention when applying to college because the people that surrounded me had never been the type to question our reality, unlike me and my skeptical ways, and so the idea of being in a class full of people who did was exciting."

Sorry Mum.

Scroll to see replies

The first sentence: "In order to understand the world one would need to understand humanity. Such is the fundamental reason as to why I aim to study Psychology."

Hmm, could have been worded better, but whatever. My entire personal statement was about my desperation desire to understand the world and the people in it. :teeth:
Reply 2
I read my PS the other day again. 3 years on, it is the most cringeworthy thing I've ever read.
"There are so many unanswered questions in physics and incomplete theories, I look forward to working on and eventually solving some of them."
I have a big cock
Reply 5
Original post by Foo.mp3
Oh God, the whole thing was absolutely dire. My old school sent it me years after my original app as I had to reapply to uni through UCAS and I don't think I've wet laughed so much in my life! If y'all think I sound like a pretentious douche who doesn't have the first clue what he's on about now.. well, let me assure thee, you ain't seen nothin'!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish all trace of mine to be obliterated once I start University. As soon as I sent it I read it back and... instant regret. Since we all sound like dickheads, it must be what they're looking for :P

Original post by JindleBrey
I have a big cock

Interesting. Did it work?
'I also enjoyed debating such topics among other controversial topics in a debating group, of which I was the leader, thus gaining key leadership skills, the ability to create and prove an argument and organisational skills whilst also exploring a diverse range of topics.'

kill my PS with fire, someone, please.
Reply 7
'I think I am a prominent and determined student who counts with communication, critical reading and writing, independent thinking skills...'
Original post by Vixen47
The first sentence: "In order to understand the world one would need to understand humanity. Such is the fundamental reason as to why I aim to study Psychology."

Hmm, could have been worded better, but whatever. My entire personal statement was about my desperation desire to understand the world and the people in it. :teeth:

I like that.
Reply 9
Please don't post exact quotes if you're applying this academic cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
'I can't imagine being in a career where people weren't my priority; to be truly caring and to help others are two ambitions that I strive for every day'

Applying for psychology with clinical psychology after, reading that back makes me die, it's just so cringey! (5 offers though!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Definitely this part "I competed in a football tournament that was broadcast on television, this particular tournament event involved penalty shootouts. I was able to get through to the final and won by one goal difference thus winning a big trophy which is still one of my most valued possessions."
Original post by mrmicrosoft
I read my PS the other day again. 3 years on, it is the most cringeworthy thing I've ever read.

I just had a re-read of mine now, and I read that and thought "That's actually pretty...good" :biggrin: So the exact opposite :smile: - unlike my facebook posts...
Reply 13
Original post by Black Cat
Definitely this part "I competed in a football tournament that was broadcast on television, this particular tournament event involved penalty shootouts. I was able to get through to the final and won by one goal difference thus winning a big trophy which is still one of my most valued possessions."

I thought Football was a team game? Congrats tho ^^
Reply 14

I liked how you followed probably the poshest adverb ever 'thus' with the premodifier 'big' ;D
me
I am a highly motivated individual, and always have been

ha
Reply 16
I'm glad my personal statement wasn't cringey ahha our teachers told us to read it to friends and if they laughed at a sentence then we should change it so it sounded more like us

is that true though or twisted facts?

It's not cocky if its true...
Original post by dada55
I thought Football was a team game? Congrats tho ^^

I was competing in penalty shootouts against other players on my team went to this foxkids soccercamp thing back in the day.

That's why it was on TV :biggrin:
Can't actually find an obviously cocky sentence, but I just sound like I'm trying way too hard :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest