Would you date a person, more intelligent than you? Watch

EmmaBxoxo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The title

Considering this is the student room and all, and dating/going out with someone smarter would be unlikely; but yeah would you do it.

I for one, couldn't do it, but I am interested to hear what other people would do/are doing.

EDIT ---- I mean in terms of grades primarily but also with things like languages and other activities that require intellectual prowess like playing instruments etc.http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/9.5/im...lies/smile.png

Also assuming the other person would be willing to go out with you.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Although I wouldn't date, regardless. I'd certainly be reluctant to marry someone who has on average better grades then me :sad:.
ihatebrownbread
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lol there is no such thing
CG1012
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I probably would, but then it depends on whether they're willing to accept me, lol
EmmaBxoxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
Although I wouldn't date, regardless. I'd certainly be reluctant to marry someone who has on average better grades then me :sad:.
Yeah haha, I am the same. Its kind of like a turn off.

(Original post by ihatebrownbread)
lol there is no such thing
Haha, what do you mean?
ipoop
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everyone I've dated has been smarter than me
rizzyg2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Absolutely! I love it when people challenge me. It'd push me to do better. I'd also be able to learn loads from them
Seathestars
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I interact fairly regularly with people much smarter than me. Sure, probably wouldn't be too much of a problem if they're not the condescending type.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hell yeah. I'd prefer someone more intelligent than me.
ipoop
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vixen47)
:flutter:
Le Papillon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Exactly this. But more intelligent in what way? For me it would be languages and skills (i.e. musician, sports)

Particularly when it comes to languages, I would seek out someone who is trilingual or a polygot.

I feel that with this, I would always push myself to be equal with my partner.
EmmaBxoxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by CG1012)
Yeah I probably would, but then it depends on whether they're willing to accept me, lol
I meant to put that as a 'given that' scenario.

(Original post by ipoop)
Everyone I've dated has been smarter than me
Fair enough

(Original post by rizzyg2)
Absolutely! I love it when people challenge me. It'd push me to do better. I'd also be able to learn loads from them
Thats true, and a good analogy

(Original post by Seathestars)
I interact fairly regularly with people much smarter than me. Sure, probably wouldn't be too much of a problem if they're not the condescending type.
Yeah

(Original post by Le Papillon)
Exactly this. But more intelligent in what way? For me it would be languages and skills (i.e. musician, sports)

Particularly when it comes to languages, I would seek out someone who is trilingual or a polygot.

I feel that with this, I would always push myself to be equal with my partner.
I meant in terms of grades primarily but also with things like languages and other intellectual prowess like instruments
Hellcat12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would love to, but but.....I have given up on guys. Girls probably.
HashimKF
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't mind dating someone who had better grades than me but if someone was actually more clever I don't think I'd like it lol. I'd ideally have someone equally as smart so we can challenge each other.
WinOrDie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think it's possible.. the smartest woman on the planet has intelligence equal to the average man. And being smarter than the average man makes this impossible for me.
Hellcat12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WinOrDie)
I don't think it's possible.. the smartest woman on the planet has intelligence equal to the average man. And being smarter than the average man makes this impossible for me.
Open you eyes, brother.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would rather someone on the same level of intelligence as me.

For me, a cleverer partner would be like a daily blow. How could I win?

But then, too much less intelligent then me I'd get bored with them.
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I seriously don't think that would be possible for me.
Interstellar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I consider my girlfriend as intelligent as I am, and I don't think having someone who is even more intelligent than yourself is bad unless they're arrogant about it, or make you feel 'dumb', in which case I wouldn't date them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WinOrDie)
What utter rubbish is this?I think you'll find that women are smarter than men on average if you look at the GCSE and A-Level Results there does however seem to be a trend where the geniuses are mainly males though due to the massive inconsistency of males.

In answer to the thread I probably wouldn't like it because I am very competitive but its unlikely they would be much cleverer than me because I got 11A*s and 5As at GCSE and my predicted AS grades are A*A*AB and you can't even get an A* at AS.I would prefer an intelligent girl so that I could teach her what I know and have interesting discussions but not one who is more intelligent than me and I wouldn't prefer a dumb girl either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (141)
18.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
10.09%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (132)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (110)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (236)
30.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed