Personal statement: applying for two different courses HELP

Watch this thread
ellllieeee1994
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello!

So I've decided to apply for uni this year and the courses I've applied for are English and Marketing Management.
I have always had a passion for English and would love to study it but since I left sixth form two years ago I have developed an interested in all aspects of marketing too. Therefore I've applied to do both, along with an English & Film course. I am interested in all of them equally. So I have three choices;

Marketing management
English
English & film

And here's my problem. How do I write a personal statement that combines my love for English AND marketing!?

Do I mention that I'm applying for both courses? Or do I be really vague?

I just have no idea where to start at the moment. Please help!

Thanks in advance
smd4std
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
i'd focus on one. also call the universities and see what they say
ellllieeee1994
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Anyone else!?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You really should make a choice. You can probably get away with applying to the two different English related courses, but marketing might be a stretch. Think from the perspective of an admissions tutor, would want an applicant who doesn't seem to like the course enough to make a firm decision about studying it.
English is a very popular course too, so bear in mind that you will be competing with people who've written a PS all about English. Have you checked for courses combining English with some aspect of business? And bear in mind that an English degree can still lead to a job in marketing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
English is a very popular course, and a PS that also focuses on marketing will count against you when getting offers. Equally marketing courses are going to be less likely to give you an offer when parts of your PS are devoted to English and film.

Universities want to see a comitment to your course choice, so any PS that makes it obvious that the candidate is still undecided will count against that candidate. They may consider a candidate who is undecided at this stage is more likely to drop out early, which is something the university wants to avoid.

You would have to make a decision between the courses in the next couple of months anyway, so it would be much better to decide now, and write a personal statement focused on one course. This will increase your chances of getting a higher number of offers.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
My friend managed to write a personal statement that got her an offer for both English Literature with Creative Writing, and then BIOLOGY. These were both from Lancaster. (She applied for four english lit and creative writing and one biology). It is possible! She mainly focused on english literature and creative writing, and did a small paragraph on biology. She's managed to get 4 offers so far, even with the biology section in her PS. You just need to be clever about it, though it could depend on the competitiveness of the universities you're applying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
cambio wechsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You should write your PS as for English but in the style of corporate or commercial marketing. Covers both angles, see?

'If you liked William Empson, you're gonna love elllieeee1994', 'you too could be the lucky recipient of my cribbed and hungover reflections on the Wasteland'. That kind of thing.
Zottula
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The problem with writing a personal statement for several different subjects is that it can show a lack of dedication, especially if they are very different subjects. Marketing management, English and Film are quite different. At some point you will have to decide between your choices and pick one. Really you are better off trying to narrow down your options before applying and making the inevitable decision now so that you can write a stronger, more focused personal statement.

However, I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is worth considering how this may impact on your application and chances of offers. Some universities place a lot of emphasis on the personal statement, whereas others may not.
muzika
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Firstly I emailed to uni (surrey) asking if its ok to have a personal statement written for different course. They replied saying that its ok if I have good enough grades. So I received an offer to study Tourism management with personal statement for Geography course
Good Luck
ThisIsn'tSpam
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If you're mainly interested in English and Marketing Management, then I would recommend that you focus the statement on that, but include suitable references to film where you can in order to show your interest in the subject.

Just out of interest though, where have you applied? Certain Universities (such as Durham) occasionally allow you to create a secondary personal statement if you are applying for multiple subjects.

If the University generally doesn't, then I would also recommend contacting the admissions office of the department and talking to them about it. However, I would suggest that you prepare yourself before you do so, in case they start to ask you questions about the subject, yourself and whatnot.

A friend of mine applied for single honours courses in French, Spanish and International Relations (and joint honours regarding the other two options) and managed to obtain five offers (Three of those offers were from Royal Holloway), so it's still possible to receive an offer despite the fact that you're applying for three different courses.
Jkizer
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I've seen more 'different' courses get offers at more competitive universities, so definitely possible.

Just try create a link between the 2 subjects when you talk about it.
Pops103
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi last year I applied for 2 different courses both in health and unis didn't like that as it shows your not completely sure and also not fully focused on one course.. so don't write what courses just write about stuff in your personal statement that relates to both subjects.. if you get what I mean
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (95)
28.27%
It went fairly well (159)
47.32%
It didn't go too well (55)
16.37%
TERRIBLE! (27)
8.04%

Watched Threads