Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 50 years ago
Hi,

I'm 14, and have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety for roughly a year now. My self-esteem has never been good.

I have been taking Zoloft for about 9 months now. Things are bad again, though. I've missed 21 days of school so far, & I'm not even halfway done with the school year. I went to a partial hospitalization program back in February. When school is back in session, I will be attending the program to help get my life back in order again.

All of these events are sadly stressing me out even more - including a tear-filled meeting with my counselor (outside of my schooling, I attend from once a week all the way to once every other week).

I really just need some advice to give me some peace of mind while I'm once again working for recovery. Will I have to retake my grade due to the amount of schooling I've missed? I've always been an A student, but my current grades are Cs and Ds because of many missing assignments due to anxiety attacks. Will I have to make those up? Should I tell (most likely email) my teachers about my situation to hope for them to be a little more flexiable? We have talked to the social worker at my school - but unfortunately our personalities don't work well together and it left me more confused about what to do.

Any advice? Thank you in advance.
CreatorGal14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I'm 14, and have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety for roughly a year now. My self-esteem has never been good.

I have been taking Zoloft for about 9 months now. Things are bad again, though. I've missed 21 days of school so far, & I'm not even halfway done with the school year. I went to a partial hospitalization program back in February. When school is back in session, I will be attending the program to help get my life back in order again.

All of these events are sadly stressing me out even more - including a tear-filled meeting with my counselor (outside of my schooling, I attend from once a week all the way to once every other week).

I really just need some advice to give me some peace of mind while I'm once again working for recovery. Will I have to retake my grade due to the amount of schooling I've missed? I've always been an A student, but my current grades are Cs and Ds because of many missing assignments due to anxiety attacks. Will I have to make those up? Should I tell (most likely email) my teachers about my situation to hope for them to be a little more flexiable? We have talked to the social worker at my school - but unfortunately our personalities don't work well together and it left me more confused about what to do.

Any advice? Thank you in advance.
Hey

I would say go and talk to one or all of your teachers, or your head of year if you have one. When I get hit by anxiety I feel as if I have to talk to someone but don't because I'm scared of being judged. Don't let that happen to you, I know GCSE year is hard, I'm in year 11 and it is awful to be hit with all that worry around exam time and in general life. I can't imagine what it must be like with depression as well!

If your teachers aren't helpful go and find someone with higher authority. I have a mix of fair and unfair teachers and if you get all the fair ones on your side, they often convince the unfair ones to help out. Maybe you could ask for one on one help? I do that in Spanish because I hate talking in front of classes so I needed to practise my speaking where I felt a bit more comfortable.

I know how you feel when you talk about your grades but if you're still getting C's without as much help as others, then you are still doing good! It's a pass!! A 'C' is enough to get you into sixth form and if you can do that while feeling bad, then imagine what you can do when you feel good! I don't really know how depression works but you can try to use this as motivation, and believe in yourself. I think you can re-sit Maths and English and maybe the sciences, at least you can at my school, in sixth form if you want to

If you want to talk to anyone (even if I'm not an expert ) then feel free to PM me
I hope this helped a bit!
Wowss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
wow
cherrybomb115
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1970??
Wowss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this is history
maniali123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ancient internet...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.71%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (237)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads