The Student Room Group

How would you cope if your son was due to be executed by lethal injection?

I feel really sorry for people in America who are on death row and whose lives are to be taken away by the people in authority.

Imagine if you were the mother of a man and you are sitting in the audience on his execution day with people who are wanting him dead and waiting with anticipation for him to die , how would you feel that a man/woman in a white coat is about to come along and take his life away by sticking poisonous needles in his arms with huge doses of fatal substances that leads to his massive heart attack and shut-down of his body?

that is your son who you brought into this world and what gives anybody the right to take him out of this world and so inhumanely?

how would it make you feel?

I think it's disgusting but I guess it doesn't matter what I think because here just going to keep on doing it anyway so....................

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Those who are on the death row have committed the most inhumane and callas of crimes. You have expressed your sympathy to the family's of the perpetrators but what about justice for the victim and the victims family? You have said that killing is wrong, yet those on death row have killed people, some have more than one victim, what gave them them the right to take their victims life? in which they enjoyed because they are ill and sadistic. I feel that the death row is the answer, it provides justice for family's, saves money, they do not deserve to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
is this an everyday issue ?
Reply 3
Prison_Break.jpg
Original post by TQueen
Those who are on the death row have committed the most inhumane and callas of crimes. You have expressed your sympathy to the family's of the perpetrators but what about justice for the victim and the victims family? You have said that killing is wrong, yet those on death row have killed people, some have more than one victim, what gave them them the right to take their victims life? in which they enjoyed because they are ill and sadistic. I feel that the death row is the answer, it provides justice for family's, saves money, they do not deserve to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True justice does not exist. By executing that man, you are killing more than just one man. Any country that still has the death penalty unfortunately is still living in the dark ages.
Beats staying in prison and wasting taxpayers money :rolleyes:
Original post by TQueen
I feel that the death row is the answer, it provides justice for family's, saves money, they do not deserve to live.

The cost of executing a prisoner by lethal injection is, on average, higher than the cost of life imprisonment [source]. There is a huge amount of bureaucracy involved, all of which costs money - it isn't just a case of spending $20 on cyanide.
Reply 7
Original post by TQueen
Those who are on the death row have committed the most inhumane and callous of crimes. You have expressed your sympathy to the families of the perpetrators but what about justice for the victim and the victims family? You have said that killing is wrong, yet those on death row have killed people, some have more than one victim, what gave them them the right to take their victims life? in which they enjoyed because they are ill and sadistic. I feel that the death row is the answer, it provides justice for family's, saves money, they do not deserve to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What gives you the right to take the perpetrator's life? Whatever the crimes they have committed, they are still human beings! :smile:

OP: The death penalty horrifies me :angry: If I knew a friend (son seems unlikely) who was sentenced to such a fate, I would be campaigning viciously in an attempt to save them, but I think that that is something anyone who is against capital punishment should be doing, regardless of whom the accused is or whether you have any actual close relationship to them. It only seems right :dontknow:
I've always thought two wrongs don't make a right, killing more people is not right, anyways if my son was getting executed I would be devastated but he must have done something unacceptable in everyone's eyes although I would question the barbaric actions of the executer.
Original post by Forever me
I feel really sorry for people in America who are on death row and whose lives are to be taken away by the people in authority.

Imagine if you were the mother of a man and you are sitting in the audience on his execution day with people who are wanting him dead and waiting with anticipation for him to die , how would you feel that a man/woman in a white coat is about to come along and take his life away by sticking poisonous needles in his arms with huge doses of fatal substances that leads to his massive heart attack and shut-down of his body?

that is your son who you brought into this world and what gives anybody the right to take him out of this world and so inhumanely?

how would it make you feel?

I think it's disgusting but I guess it doesn't matter what I think because here just going to keep on doing it anyway so....................

I think you're missing the point slightly. I completely agree with you that the death penalty is absolutely disgraceful, but not because of the reasons you've given. One problem with the death penalty is the fact that it's completely hypocritical. If the state executes someone because they disagree with them, they're putting themselves on the same level as the person they're executing. There is no universal right or wrong; just because the masses agree with something does not make it objectively right. We can hate criminals as much as we want, but it doesn't give us the right to take their life from them. Additionally, execution is the easy way out. Whilst it might seem absolutely terrifying, being killed swiftly and painlessly is actually a lot easier for criminals than facing a lifetime of hellish solitary confinement. Additionally, it allows supporters of the criminals to call them martyrs.

Perhaps the most important objection to the death penalty is the fact that it doesn't prevent crime. If a person is insane enough to commit a murder, they're not going to care about the consequences. It's a proven fact that the death penalty does not reduce crime rates - it simply serves to satisfy people who want revenge. The justice system shouldn't be about giving people their sadistic revenge, it should be about stopping crime from happening in the first place. And whilst the right-wing adamantly refuses to accept this, the uncomfortable truth is that 95%+ of violent crime is the fault of our society, for alienating the poor, forcing them into gangs since they are the only social groups that accept them. Once a person slips into the net of gang-culture, it's only a matter of time before they go into crime.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Ceryni
What gives you the right to take the perpetrator's life? Whatever the crimes they have committed, they are still human beings! :smile:

OP: The death penalty horrifies me :angry: If I knew a friend (son seems unlikely) who was sentenced to such a fate, I would be campaigning viciously in an attempt to save them, but I think that that is something anyone who is against capital punishment should be doing, regardless of whom the accused is or whether you have any actual close relationship to them. It only seems right :dontknow:

You say you will campaign viciously for your friend, but I dont think you understand what your 'friend' has done to deserve the death row. What happens if your friend murdered your whole family, will you still be campaigning for him then? If so then kudos to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by 2710
You say you will campaign viciously for your friend, but I dont think you understand what your 'friend' has done to deserve the death row. What happens if your friend murdered your whole family, will you still be campaigning for him then? If so then kudos to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, as I would if it weren't a friend!

Sentencing ANYONE to death is wrong :fuhrer:

Spoiler

Reply 12
If someone whom I know is on death row, and they deserved it, I wouldn't protest.
Reply 13
It's an indulgence of hatred, veiled under the cover of 'justice'. You are not just harming the criminal when you execute somebody.
Wouldn't mind swapping with any of those people right now
We were talking about something similar in English a while ago, and we were saying that if we were going to do the whole 'An eye of an eye' thing, then you would have to victim killed, the murderer killed, then the executioner would be killed for killing someone else, and so the next executioner would be killed for killing again. (My class talks about strange things :tongue: )
You'll never please anyone because death is simply wrong. Taking someone's life because they took someone else's life makes you as bad as them. We all have family, someone would always be hurting inside. :dontknow: It's a lose - lose situation :s
Reply 16
Original post by Ceryni
Yes, as I would if it weren't a friend!

Sentencing ANYONE to death is wrong :fuhrer:

Spoiler

Ok. But what happens if the criminal is just too dangerous to live on? Like multiple murders every time they are released?

And before you say life sentence, jails are becoming overcrowded, what happens if space is running low?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Well I'd be upset but if they'd committed a crime which merited their punishment then I can't fully sympathise with them. I'd always love them but if they'd murdered people then I wouldn't boycott the penal system.
Murdering a mass murder is not stooping to the same level as the criminal, I think that's a very stupid argument that gets thrown around a lot.

The criminal murders the innocent, more often than not unprovoked. The state isn't senselessly murdering the innocent. The death penalty is used only on the most extreme cases.

Personally, I don't see life in jail without parole as that much more humane of a punishment than death. I think the death penalty is actually more humane and merciful than locking someone up in solitary confinement for the rest of their lives.
Reply 19
This is crazy, so if a loved one got tortured and brutally murdered, you'd be happy to pay your taxes knowing it is going to the person who killed your loved one? You wouldn't want them to die? Two wrongs don't make a right, but you should treat others how you would like to be treated. If you take a life, your life should also be taken. Period

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply