The Student Room Group

What if you have okay GCSEs, but fantastic A-Levels?

When I did my GCSEs, I was a pretty don't-carish student, and thus my results were two A*s in English and English Literature, As in Biology, Maths and ICT, and Bs in Biology, Chemistry, Statistics, and Global Perspectives. However, I picked up my act, and on my A-Levels, I've been predicted A*s for Biology, Psychology and Chemistry, and an A for Math. Provided I get those results (I've been doing really well on mocks and such recently), is it remotely possible that I get a place in a good university (it doesn't have to be Oxbridge, I'm not that ambitious yet), such as Bath, or Kings College, or maybe Manchester?
Sure it is.

If you meet the GCSE and A Level requirements as well as having a good personal statement then there's no reason why you wouldn't stand a chance.
It's better to have excellent A-Levels and poor GCSE's than the opposite (although obviously it's best to have both). As long as you're not applying to medicine, you should be OK.
Reply 3
Yes, you more than certainly have a chance :smile:
Definitely - your GCSEs aren't that bad, much better than most people's, and universities are mostly interested in your A level grades anyway - afterall at GCSE most of the subjects weren't that interesting to you/ relevant to your degree and they were longer ago...
Reply 5
Good GCSE's, Great Alevels. Lucky you. Universities will see that you have an improving pattern of work.
Plus your GCSE's are pretty good. A lot of people are overly satisfied with all Bs, Lol!
You'll be fine. Goodluck!
Reply 6
That's fine, but a bit unrealistic. GCSE's are a lot more "doable" than A-levels. I know people who've gotten A*'s in their GCSE's and B's in their A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest