F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm pretty confused here.

I thought the Glomerulus receives blood in this order:

Renal artery ----> smaller arteries ----> afferent arteriole ----> glomerular capillaries

However I'm reading somewhere in my lecture notes that it recieves blood via the Arculate arteries Are these the same as the 'smaller arteries' I was referring to above??

Thanks to anyone that can help!
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by James A)
I'm pretty confused here.

I thought the Glomerulus receives blood in this order:

Renal artery ----> smaller arteries ----> afferent arteriole ----> glomerular capillaries

However I'm reading somewhere in my lecture notes that it recieves blood via the Arculate arteries Are these the same as the 'smaller arteries' I was referring to above??

Thanks to anyone that can help!
Yes. The blood supply to the kidneys is a ***** to remember but it goes:

Renal artery -> (posterior/anterior divisions -> segmental arteries -> lobar arteries -> interlobar arteries -> arcuate arteries -> interlobular arteries) -> afferent arterioles -> glomerular capillary networks -> efferent arterioles

Much easier to substitute to the bit in brackets with "smaller arteries", don't you think? :p:
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)

Renal artery -> (posterior/anterior divisions -> segmental arteries -> lobar arteries -> interlobar arteries -> arcuate arteries -> interlobular arteries) -> afferent arterioles -> glomerular capillary networks -> efferent arterioles

Much easier to substitute to the bit in brackets with "smaller arteries", don't you think? :p:
Oh yes it is haha

Thanks for clearing it up!
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)

Hello again

Sorry to bother you, but I'm reading through the Distal Convoluted Tubule on a website and the first paragraph says this:

The distal convoluted tubule is the section farthest away from the renal corpuscle, and the cells that line it are able to actively pump potentially harmful substances, such as ammonia, urea and certain drugs, out of the blood and into the urine.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how can cells that line the DCT, pump substances from the blood vessel (capillary surrounding it) ?? I don't understand..... Surely the DCT can pump substances from the surrounding tissue (cortex) into the DCT but not directly from the blood vessel

Thanks in advance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.91%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.57%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise