The Student Room Group

17 y/o, looking to build up muscle in New Year, advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Super Troll
Do starting strength until you plateau and reset on all three lifts 3 times in a row. After this do any routine you like that revolves around Squats, bench, Deadlift, OH press and barbell rows.

This is what I did from 17 years onwards and I regularly squat 160kg+ 5 times a week, don't bother with Wendler's 5/3/1 it is far too advanced and will not work unless you are seasoned athlete and the progress is far too slow, my routine at the moment is very high frequency squatting, once you do a few cycles of SS you will have the skills and base to decide your own routine. When you get there I advise focusing on Deltoid, Back, Hamstring, Glutes, Calves and Biceps to give an extra illusion boost of size of that is what you are after.

I highly recommend eating a **** ton of food 24/7 and getting your macros, do not worry about "lean bulking" that is a myth peddled to morons to keep them weak. Eat BIG and clean, lift heavy, squat high bar and deep everyday and over the next few years you will do just fine particularly at 6'2 @ just 17 size and mass will come easy you will look big compared to many guys regardless just due to your bone structure. Also take your multis, fish oil and joint supplements, after 5 years of hard training you will only be 22 and you will be huge and strong, you MUST be consistent, you cannot take weeks off every other week, you MUST train hard nearly everyday with the very occasional deload, when it comes to your body you cannot be half arsed, to your genetic code and therefore your natural body large amounts of muscle is very inefficient and the human body will get rid of it ASAP particularly if you are not getting your macros, humans have evolved primates (in trees) ---> to on ground runners, this is why we have big lats still but also our bodies try to be thin and lean naturally, to over overcome this your need to get your macros and EAT and NEVER slack off both eating and lifting at the same time you have to both or one or the other, there will come a point where you know you are not doing it right because your legs hurt either from not squatting enough or not eating enough. Peace.

***bonus

If you have no gym do a solid body-weight routine until you can do a **** ton of muscle ups and hit your macros, this may also help when you do finally get access to a gym or equipment (you have to have at least barbells, plates and rack all of which you can pick up from Powerhouse for £20 a month on finance (which I recommend as at 17 you will not have a spare 900 £ + lying around) by building a base.

I don't want to start an argument but I really don't understand why people on here are so quick to recommend SS for beginners. Strength isn't everything. OP wants size, in which case OP can gain more size on a programme that encourages 8-12 reps with progressive overload as opposed to SS in which OP will gain ego strength, yet no real size gains, as many people have actually proven. I really do fail to understand this argument of 'Oh I you need to do SS to gain some strength to make real gains!' No, you don't. You just need to push your muscles with a progressive overload of what YOU can lift. The amount of muscle fibres being recruited by a person who can lift 100KG is exactly the same as someone who can lift 50KG because it's all relative to their personal strength.
Original post by andrew2209
I'm 17, at 6'2' and 10stone. As my weight indicates, I'm not very well built at all. I want to try and build up some muscle in the new year, but I don't know what the best way to start is, especially as I'm very out-of-shape, and always have been (I can barely do 15 push-ups). Any advice?

I'm the same height as you and started off being 9.5 stone. I've put on about a stone since and the difference is unbelievable already.

Firstly join a gym. You want to start out with compound exercises which are exercises that will use 2 or more joints. E.g. squats, chest press. This is because as a beginner it will be easy to put on muscle but if you do isolation exercise that only target one muscle like Bicep Curls then you'll get huge biceps and nothing else which will look stupid. So you need to build your strength up in the first couple of months before you incorporate some isolation exercises. A lot of people use the 5 x 5 programme but I use a routine I made myself and it's worked well for me so far. Diet wise just get your protein in and a caloric surplus since you are a hard gainer.
Original post by uktotalgamer
I don't want to start an argument but I really don't understand why people on here are so quick to recommend SS for beginners. Strength isn't everything. OP wants size, in which case OP can gain more size on a programme that encourages 8-12 reps with progressive overload as opposed to SS in which OP will gain ego strength, yet no real size gains, as many people have actually proven. I really do fail to understand this argument of 'Oh I you need to do SS to gain some strength to make real gains!' No, you don't. You just need to push your muscles with a progressive overload of what YOU can lift. The amount of muscle fibres being recruited by a person who can lift 100KG is exactly the same as someone who can lift 50KG because it's all relative to their personal strength.

SS is designed for novices, that is the sole purpose of the routine.

It allows the novice to practice simple compound movements, learn technique, and allows for a basic concept of progressive overload to be used.

The routine is not purely strength it WILL result in size too. If a novice has put 200lbs on his deadlift they will be bigger, the whole notion of "you either train size or strength, and strength training wont get you big brah" is an absolute MYTH especially if you are EATING correctly (aka: big). But it ain't all useful, 5/3/1 for example is no use to him. (in my experience)

I've never done a size routine in my life but in bigger and stronger than all of my peers who swear by "8 to 12 brah, muscle confusion brah". Take squatting for example, i squat daily but usually only a max, will i make more size gains doing 5 x 5 or 4 x 10? No, because muscle is not some kind of consciousness, take bodyweight, 3 x 3 of 100kg of bodyweight will feel the same as 3 x 3 of 100kg of barbell. Personally I've never seen a novice make good, efficient gains while learning good technique and habits by throwing them into an advanced or even intermediate bodybuilding split, Imo its a recipe for keeping small and weak. You say strength is not it but if you can deadlift over 500lbs generally speaking you will not be small, particularly op who is 6'2 @ just 17, he wont have even stropped growing yet ( in terms of mass) solid diet, macros, consistency, bodyweight, ss, and then whatever he likes and he guanteed to be all he desires, i don't think telling him to hit "dat der chest day 8-12 brah, get the pump" comprising of various exercises all requiring technique to learn to perform safely is best option, not even slightly.

In the end it's up to OP.
Original post by Super Troll
SS is designed for novices, that is the sole purpose of the routine.

It allows the novice to practice simple compound movements, learn technique, and allows for a basic concept of progressive overload to be used.

The routine is not purely strength it WILL result in size too. If a novice has put 200lbs on his deadlift they will be bigger, the whole notion of "you either train size or strength, and strength training wont get you big brah" is an absolute MYTH especially if you are EATING correctly (aka: big). But it ain't all useful, 5/3/1 for example is no use to him. (in my experience)

I've never done a size routine in my life but in bigger and stronger than all of my peers who swear by "8 to 12 brah, muscle confusion brah". Take squatting for example, i squat daily but usually only a max, will i make more size gains doing 5 x 5 or 4 x 10? No, because muscle is not some kind of consciousness, take bodyweight, 3 x 3 of 100kg of bodyweight will feel the same as 3 x 3 of 100kg of barbell. Personally I've never seen a novice make good, efficient gains while learning good technique and habits by throwing them into an advanced or even intermediate bodybuilding split, Imo its a recipe for keeping small and weak. You say strength is not it but if you can deadlift over 500lbs generally speaking you will not be small, particularly op who is 6'2 @ just 17, he wont have even stropped growing yet ( in terms of mass) solid diet, macros, consistency, bodyweight, ss, and then whatever he likes and he guanteed to be all he desires, i don't think telling him to hit "dat der chest day 8-12 brah, get the pump" comprising of various exercises all requiring technique to learn to perform safely is best option, not even slightly.

In the end it's up to OP.

I just find it bizarre that it's recommended so often. In reference to your first point I don't see how practising compound movements is a good thing of the routine because in reality doing those compound movements can be learned in any routine. I didn't start with SS but I learned all the compounds anyway.

It's not that strength won't get you big. Look at people like Derek Poundstone for example. It's the idea of what is the quickest route to GETTING YOU big. If you value strength as well as size then perhaps strength workouts are for you, but most people just wanna pack on the size, and to me doing a strength regime is purely just an ego boost.

It's also about finding which is best for you. I found more of a pump and growth using 6-8 reps rather than 8-12.

I think with SS you either love it or hate it. I'm the latter. All this stuff about 'learning the compounds' can be done under any program and in the early stages where new lifters are gaining 'noob gains' SS makes nowhere near of enough effort to do so. It also neglects Bi's and tri. I won't deny you get strong, and you may pack on some size, but how much you actually pack on may be less than what you think. Either way, it's up to OP.
Original post by andrew2209
I'm 17, at 6'2' and 10stone. As my weight indicates, I'm not very well built at all. I want to try and build up some muscle in the new year, but I don't know what the best way to start is, especially as I'm very out-of-shape, and always have been (I can barely do 15 push-ups). Any advice?

As well as getting into the gym and building muscle mass, you also need to change your lifestyle! Things like clean eating, regular sleeping patterns, your whole attitude to exercise you can't have a mindset where going to the gym is some form of punishment- it doesn't work and makes it so much harder to stick to When you work out, the most amount of time you'll probably spend in the gym will be 1 and a half, AT MOST, unless you become a fitness freak it's what you do with the other 22 and a half hours that really makes the difference. If you have Instagram there are many fitness related pages that will motivate you, give you workout ideas and tips on how to stay healthy! Also google is a great tool, there are so many pieces of information available
Reply 25
learn to bench, overhead press, rows, squats and deadlift.
Mind if I sidetrack here? Haha...I've a similar problem so I don't want to start a new thread.

Well, I'm 6"1 and 110kg and I've been training for the past 5/6months and need help with burning fat whilst making strength gains (specifically for rugby, not particularly to get shredded and have people mirin'). Any advice on anything that'll help me out?

Changing routines is pretty much out as I'm set to what my coaches in school give me and I can't add cardio to my gym-time as I've no time in my timetabled gym sessions. I'm guessing just a strict diet and some more cardio would work but I'm no good at all with building up diet plans and such haha
Reply 27
IMO, though you should base your routine around compound lifts, don't make the mistake I made at first which was to literally do nothing other than squat dead bench and OHP. Isolations are essential for a complete bodybuilding routine so make sure you're doing everything from curls, skullcrushers, lateral/post. delt raises, calf raises so on and so forth. After a year and a half of training I ended up relatively with a great chest and back but string beans for arms, don't fall into that trap

SS is a progressive overload program combined with large calorie surplus.

You are advocating a progressive overload program combined with large calorie surplus.

The difference is that SS uses 5 reps and you prefer 8-12 reps. Do you really think this is going to make an enormous difference?
Original post by Observatory
SS is a progressive overload program combined with large calorie surplus.

You are advocating a progressive overload program combined with large calorie surplus.

The difference is that SS uses 5 reps and you prefer 8-12 reps. Do you really think this is going to make an enormous difference?

Everywhere on the internet, every professional bodybuilder, every amateur bodybuilder generally use between 6-12 reps, not five.

Plus, I've already mentioned that SS leaves your biceps and triceps with no work, and arguably not enough work on every other part apart from legs.. Benching once a week when you've just started is nowhere near enough.

Not a brilliant source but... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek8.htm
(edited 10 years ago)
Everywhere on the internet, every professional bodybuilder, every amateur bodybuilder generally use between 6-12 reps, not five.

I don't think "every amateur bodybuilder" does that at all since many amateur bodybuilders just on this site alone use SS.

Plus, I've already mentioned that SS leaves your biceps and triceps with no work, and arguably not enough work on every other part apart from legs.. Benching once a week when you've just started is nowhere near enough.

Not a brilliant source but... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek8.htm

SS has you benching 1.5x per week (3x every two week cycle) and OHP 1.5x per week.

Biceps, I can grant. Add curls to SS if you like. It doesn't change a lot.
I don't think "every amateur bodybuilder" does that at all since many amateur bodybuilders just on this site use SS.

SS has you benching 1.5x per week (3x every two week cycle) and OHP 1.5x per week.

Biceps, I can grant. Add curls to SS if you like. It doesn't change a lot.

I'm classing amateur bodybuilders as those that lift for amateur competitions. Not some teenager on a website.

Benching 1.5x per week still isn't enough. When someone first starts lifting, their muscles are so receptive and unused to what they're doing. That's what promotes this 'noob gains' for the first few months. That's the time where you build your core technique and the time where you can make the most gains. Benching 1.5x a week doesn't achieve that. Plus, your only benching. If you said chest 1.5x a week, perhaps thats on the cusp, but still not enough. But you're just benching.. What about your upper chest? What about your inner chest?
I'm classing amateur bodybuilders as those that lift for amateur competitions. Not some teenager on a website.

Obviously a competition-standard athlete won't be using a beginners' program.

Benching 1.5x per week still isn't enough. When someone first starts lifting, their muscles are so receptive and unused to what they're doing. That's what promotes this 'noob gains' for the first few months. That's the time where you build your core technique and the time where you can make the most gains. Benching 1.5x a week doesn't achieve that. Plus, your only benching. If you said chest 1.5x a week, perhaps thats on the cusp, but still not enough. But you're just benching.. What about your upper chest? What about your inner chest?

Right but you also do OHP which also works triceps. The pecs are a single muscle; differentiating between "upper" and "inner" chest is not important for a beginner (if at all).
(edited 10 years ago)

Right but you also do OHP which also works triceps. The pecs are a single muscle; differentiating between "upper" and "inner" chest is not important for a beginner (if at all).

Yes but it doesn't change what rep range they use, does it? It's generally 8-12.

But it doesn't work them directly. I can't say that I've had DOMS in my tri's from benching and OHPing and I do chest/shoulders together..
Reply 34

Ss is recommended because it's a full body routine meaning it's good for strength gains and focuses on the big 3. You need to build a foundation of strength first to get size. It's hard to find a shredded person who is weak. Size follows strength. I'd say get your bench to at least 1 . 1xbw before going to splits which is more about size

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's a myth that pressing alone is enough for optimum tricep growth.

a big fat dirty myth
Original post by The_Blade
Ss is recommended because it's a full body routine meaning it's good for strength gains and focuses on the big 3. You need to build a foundation of strength first to get size. It's hard to find a shredded person who is weak. Size follows strength. I'd say get your bench to at least 1 . 1xbw before going to splits which is more about size

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you've completely missed what I've said. Strength is relevant only to the person that it pertains. It's a complete myth that you need strength to gain size. One person could find 50kg heavy and the other 100kg heavy. It doesn't change that amount of muscle fibres being recruited. All that matters it time under tension, recruitment of fibres and progressive overload. Strength doesn't matter.
I've never seen anybody with any size who got that way doing Starting Strength. From what I've seen you look pretty much the same as you did at the start, if not worse. Sure, you may gain a few lbs of muscle, but nowhere near as much as you would if you focused on hypertrophy, and with the inevitable fat gain, the small amount of muscle will probably be overshadowed and you won't look better as a result.

Also, the argument that strength athletes/powerlifters have great size, and they lift <5reps, therefore Starting Strength will result in some size gain, is simply wrong. They have the size they do due to A) Having lifted with a lot more volume than SS, for a long time. B)Incorporating higher rep work to purposely build muscle as a larger muscle can handle more weight. C) They often incorporate other things that are conducive to the muscles becoming larger................

The only reason I can see somebody doing Starting Strength is if A) They genuinely want to become a powerlifter/strength competitor. B) They've never lifted before and they're starting while also trying to lose fat/in a deficit. That isn't applicable to 95%+ of guys, who simply want to become bigger and look better.

If you want to become bigger, why wouldn't you follow a hypertrophy oriented routine that places becoming bigger at top of the priority list?
Reply 38
Do 5x5 because you'll be doing more reps than 3x8 and at a far heavier weight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JimmyGatz
Do 5x5 because you'll be doing more reps than 3x8 and at a far heavier weight

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strong logic..

Quick Reply

Latest