The Student Room Group

Why should you employ women?

This is not my question, I overheard it at a pub and was quite shocked, but I'm wondering how tsr will react to this.

"Why should you employ women? "
(These are the points they made against it) (try to counter them or if you agree say so)

Here are some reasons why they said employers wouldn't.

1) They get pregnant, men don't - you still have to pay women when they are not working

2) You can't swear at a woman like you can to man saying "get that ****ing done" or "you ****ing messed up" if you did she would cry or getting upset and probably sue you

3) She may have a family and you can't have the lads banter at the local pub like you do with a man

4) They are eye candy and distract the male workforce from task at hand. Eg secretaries - wont go further than that.

5) Unless the employer is gay - a man can't woo him to get a promotion like is notorious in banks.

6) We had people like thatcher in power and was the most hated person especially with mining and milk snatching etc.

7) Dentists who are surrounded by women all day are infuriated by their arrogance and unpleasantness - see the tsr thread on for those of you who want to become dentists.

Anyway like I said I overheard these views, but its interesting to see how the feminists will react to these specific views.
just for the bewbage (some feminist mod is going to card me now, talk about freedom of expression)
Reply 2
I can't wait for the feminists to see this.

As much as I don't associate myself with them, this is pretty damn bad, from any woman OR man's POV.
Reply 3
I would definitely employ men over women.
Reply 4
Original post by blueray
This is not my question, I overheard it at a pub and was quite shocked, but I'm wondering how tsr will react to this.

(These are the points they made against it) (try to counter them or if you agree say so)

1) They get pregnant, men don't - you still have to pay women when they are not working

Employers shouldn't pay them whilst they take time off, but their job should be available when/if the woman wants to return.

2) You can't swear at a woman like you can to man saying "get that ****ing done" or "you ****ing messed up" if you did she would cry or getting upset and probably sue you

Unless they're joking employers shouldn't swear at anyone regardless of their gender if it's serious. But people who want special treatment because of their gender (like not swearing at a woman because she may get upset) is patronising.

3) She may have a family and you can't have the lads banter at the local pub like you do with a man

Doesn't make sense?

4) They are eye candy and distract the male workforce from task at hand. Eg secretaries - wont go further than that.

LOL. Can't take that opinion seriously tbh. If people can't get their work done without getting distracted then they should change jobs.

6) We had people like thatcher in power and was the most hated person especially with mining and milk snatching etc.

Had nothing to do with her gender... ideology, and she wasn't particularly feminine.

7) Dentists who are surrounded by women all day are infuriated by their arrogance and unpleasantness - see the tsr thread on for those of you who want to become dentists.

Dental nurses? :s-smilie:

The choice someone makes to hire someone should be on their capability to do the job.
I somewhat agree with only the first reason out of those.
There are certain jobs where you need to hire a woman.

Queen, for example.
Original post by blueray

5) Unless the employer is gay - a man can't woo him to get a promotion like is notorious in banks.

Anyway like I said I overheard these views, but its interesting to see how the feminists will react to these specific views.

1. This is really the only legitimate concern to be honest. I can understand that losing a woman to that can be difficult, but men can take paternity leave and often you are just losing the woman for a few months. If you lose them permanently then you just find another person to do the job!

2. You shouldn't be swearing at men to get the job done. There are way better ways of motivating people. I'd be pretty offended if my boss swore at me...

3. Why do you need to have the lads banter with everyone you work with? I doubt you would invite every man to the pub. Or you could go to the pub with the woman and talk about other things :rolleyes: At the end of the day, if you think your conversation is going to offend someone, it's not really respectful to have it in their presence, I don't think.

4. Or you could focus on your work, or other things, rather than lusting over women. If a worker is going to be distracted by something as every day as a woman in the workplace, perhaps they're not right to work for you :rolleyes:

5. I'd argue that anyone trying to do this shouldn't be working for you :smile: Not all women will use their bodies to get what they want.

6. Right. So for that reason, we shouldn't have any Germans in positions of power, because of Hitler, not to mention any Chinese (Mao) or in fact anyone from anywhere, as I'm sure most countries are represented in one way or other by some form of controversial leader...

7. I haven't read the thread so I'm not really qualified to talk about this one. It does seem a bit of a blanket generalisation though.

I'm not a feminist, particularly, but if any of the above are your sole reasons for choosing a man for a job rather than a woman, I think you're a little silly :wink:
Reply 8
What about women who never want a family (like me)?
:rofl: just lol at number seven.

Just a few points;

- I sympathise with the pregnancy point. Not all women want a child, but it's obviously a statistical likelihood. Trust me, it's annoying from a woman's point of view too, but there's nothing you can do about nature. We just have to try to be the best person for the job, or offer to take unpaid maternity leave.

- The Thatcher point is just odd. Practically every prime minister ends up unpopular - you don't look at Blair and say all men are like that.

- People who sue are a******es, but they're not all women. It's a shame we have this reputation, but I honestly think it's at least in part a relic from when women were uneducated and put on a pedestal. Most women can take swearing, it's just that men don't like swearing at them.

- If you employ based on lads' banter, that's your business. Same with eye candy - there's nothing we can do about your preferences except, again, try and be qualified for the job.

My opinion on the whole is that, as a woman and human being, if I want a job I can get it if I work harder than everyone else. If these things are barriers (in reality I don't think many employers do think like that), then I may have to work harder than other people, but everyone has issues and most people deal with them.
Reply 10
lol, "you can't swear at women". You should hear the language used by some of my female colleagues in the staff room.
(edited 10 years ago)
Agreed. If we are allowing cheap labour in to fill our low skill jobs then let's make ourselves more competitive by cutting maternity leave and holidays in general. Lazy British.
The truth be told, that when a female is better at a male for doing a particular job, then she will get the job. If a male is better at a particular job, he will get the job over the female.

The OP however raises some interesting points and women generally have more protection in certain situations. That's how it's always been.

-QED
Reply 13
The question of pregnancy is an interesting one. Because to be honest I'm struggling to see how we could possibly implement a system there that is 'fair.

Is it fair that a company has to pay for somebody who isn't working there, because of a personal choice they made?

Conversely would it be fair for companies to punish women purely because of their biology? After all women didn't choose to be the ones that bear the most physical strain in reproduction. And lets not forget that women having children is a vital part of society.
Reply 14
Original post by blueray
x

Not every woman wants children. Some women cannot have children. Even so, both men and women get time off around their child's birth, and whilst it's not ideal for an employer, I'm sure, nature is as it is, which most employers will understand. If a woman is a good candidate/is good at what she does, the potential inconvenience to the employer shouldn't be too big an obstacle.

As others have said, employers shouldn't swear at their employees full stop. A lot of women can take some swearing, though. We're not faint little daisies.

:confused: What does a woman having a family got to do with lads' banter? Also, what people are interested in varies from person to person. Not all men like the same things, and the same goes for women. There are men who really aren't up for "lads' banter" and there will be women who can give as good as they get.

Men aren't animals who can't control themselves. If they get that easily distracted, though, they may not be suitable for their role.

There are female employers as well. Plus, the vast majority of women want to be promoted based on their skills and talent.

We've had Tony Blair in power, who was a lapdog to George Bush and went into war based on false claims.

:confused:
Reply 15
Why to employ women?

Female brains work differently than male brains, offering different perspectives and different ways of problem solving, hence balance in workplace is beneficial.

As for the, "women get pregnant" thing, current proposals are that from 2015 maternity leave can be shared between the parents...does this mean that at interviews people should be asked if they intend to have children in the future?

Swearing and abuse of staff in the majority of workplaces is not tolerated and a disciplinary/sacking offence.

As for chatting in the pub...if you haven't heard the mouths on some women and the conversations that go on with them then you need to start listening...we easily put men to shame at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blueray

Yeah men get the women pregnant so it's their fault. Why should women not be employed because evolution has made it so we have to keep the population growing? There are also many women that don't have and don't want children.

I don't mind it if I get sworn or shouted at. I currently get abuse for no reason in my current job and I don't run home crying. In fact I've been groped at and had a butter knife thrown at my head recently (I did storm out after the knife incident). I give as good as I get, If they swear at me I'll do the same back, and I think there are lots of women that do too.

Is it essential that you need to have a bit of banter in the with a fellow colleague? Some people have more important things to do. I don't mind have a bit of a banter in the work place or outside and many other women in my workplace do too.

Men should stop being such lechers. I see hot guys at work doesn't mean it stops me being able to work like I would usually. Have some self-control.

Women are to blame really for being stupid enough not to see through it but any honourable man wouldn't do such a thing anyway.

Supporting the argument with a single example of where a women messed up cannot be generalised to the entire female population. There are plenty of other women out there that have a great deal of responsibility and do a really good job of it such as Angela Merkel, Eleanor Roosevelt and Queen Elizabeth I just to get you started. How many men have screwed up big time? Hitler, Stalin, Mao Tse Tung, Genghis Khan, Gadafi and countless other men have taken massive dumps on people. So if you want to play who took the biggest dump it's going to be men by far.

Okay I agree with this one. Women can be really very horrible to other women and maybe more vindictive then men emotionally. I don't know why this is but women that are sensible try to limit how much they divulge this side to their personality.

P.S. I'm not a men hating, bra burning lesbian with pubic hair down to my knees before people start thinking that. Rant over :biggrin:
Why were a group of seven year old boys discussing employment practices in a pub?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending