Men don't get pregnant, so aren't allowed an opinion in the abortion debate

Watch
This discussion is closed.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I apologise for this being my second thread on abortion. Before I begin I want to make it clear that my honest opinion on abortion is that I'm undecided. I think there are valid points that both sides make which I'll admit sounds a bit cowardly (and who knows maybe you're right), but I suppose if I was asked to pick a side I'd class myself as being pro-life, even though there are aspects held by many pro-lifers that I disagree with e.g. "Personhood begins at conception"

Anyway to what I'm asking. One 'argument' I often hear, is that men should have no say in the abortion debate because they can't get pregnant. Now I really cannot get my head around how anybody who seriously wants to debate thinks this is at all a valid argument. Firstly. The arguments for and against abortion are either valid or invalid irrespective of who is making them. And secondly the pro-life position is that abortion involves the death of an innocent child, and so they'd believe that abortion isn't just a personal preference, it is universally wrong.

What are your opinions?
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's an impossible situation to solve, a woman shouldn't be able to take away a man's chance at a child and shouldn't be able to force a man to pay for a child he didn't want... but it's also not fair to force a woman to put her career in jeopardy, her body at risk, and generally force her to become a mother if she doesn't want to
I agree that men should have a say in the abortion debate and any decent woman would take a man's views into account when deciding whether or not to abort, but in practice there is no fair way to fix it
Reynolds's#
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Should men have a say in abortion despite not being pregnant?

It affects men as well, because it determines whether or not they becomes fathers, but I feel that in regards to getting an abortion, his input means nothing unless it aligns with the mother's.
harry_007
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's like saying only murderers should debate murder.
Kutta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But I might not want my son/daughter to get murdered?
Are you Shaw?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most ridiculous argument ever.
BioIz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you can have an opinion as a man but I think that ultimately, it always has to be the woman's decision as she is the one who has to carry the baby. A woman should never be coerced into either keeping a baby or having an abortion when it's not what she wants.
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They did take part in making a baby or life in the first place
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree that women should not be forced to have or keep a baby.. But it's ironic, a woman has a child she can't support she gets benefits and housing, a guy has a child he doesn't want or can't pay child support for, he goes to jail.
harry_007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by StrangeBanana)
No it's not; murder is a crime, and murderers are criminals. Getting pregnant is not a crime in any way, shape, or form. Moreover, murderers often act alone; pregnancy only occurs when two people have a sexual relationship.

But I do agree that the argument out-lined in the first post is ridiculous!
I'm not talking about what type the act is.

She said abortion should only be discussed by those who are pregnant.
They're the ones who have the babies.

I think we can both understand the idea behind the thread even though it is ridiculous. You're right it does take two.

But what I'm saying it is akin to saying only the murderer can speak about murder as he did the act in the same way the woman is doing the act of being pregnant.

My point was it sounds silly.
aranexus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Still think that when it stops becoming a collection of cells and resembles a life then to abort is murder! JMHO
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It still gets me that people argue over this. There's no right or wrong (or easy) answer, it's all down to what someone individually thinks.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm allowed an opinion on whatever the hell I want to have an opinion on. Whether it's an informed and reasonable opinion is a completely different matter.
NeeceLondon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm personally pro-life so I'd have a strong opinion on this anyway, but from an objective point of view I think that argument is just as stupid as the 'If you don't like abortions, don't have one' argument. I think it's ridiculous to base your argument on the idea that if something doesn't directly affect you, you don't have a right to an opinion on it. Should a woman without the ability to conceive not have an opinion on abortions? Of course they should, even though they wouldn't be affected at all, because something as sensitive and serious such as the topic of abortion is open to discussion and demonstration by anyone - so the opinion of a man who could lose a potential child to an abortion is just as significant as the opinion of a woman.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's better for the child if both parents want it, otherwise abort it.
fuze-mo25
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
I think it's an impossible situation to solve, a woman shouldn't be able to take away a man's chance at a child and shouldn't be able to force a man to pay for a child he didn't want... but it's also not fair to force a woman to put her career in jeopardy, her body at risk, and generally force her to become a mother if she doesn't want to
I agree that men should have a say in the abortion debate and any decent woman would take a man's views into account when deciding whether or not to abort, but in practice there is no fair way to fix it
Listen to what you are saying, youd rather kill a life so someone can have a career? are you being serious? there is absolutely nothing that gives you the right to take a life. If you are ready to **** you are ready to look after the child.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fuze-mo25)
Listen to what you are saying, youd rather kill a life so someone can have a career? are you being serious? there is absolutely nothing that gives you the right to take a life. If you are ready to **** you are ready to look after the child.
this thread was about whether a man should get a say in the abortion debate, not whether abortion is right or not...

but for the record, I take all the precautions I can so if I found out early, then yes I would have a termination because I am no suitable place in my life to have a kid, I would lose out on my career and my child would have no opportunities and I would not be abel to provide much for them as I'd have no money... I don't think abortion should be abused and used because people can't be bothered to think about a condom, but I don't believe people should bring children into this world that are unwanted/that can't be well provided for
Zorgotron
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Arguments don't have penises.

If you have a problem with me being male, I'll bring my girlfriend along and whisper what I want to say in her ear. Then she can forward my arguments. Can't use the sex card on me now, because it's the woman who is voicing the arguments.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't really see how a man can stop a woman from getting a termination?

What's to stop him from doing a runner after the baby is born and leaving her with a child she never wanted? Or how could you prove a woman got a termination behind the fathers back or even that she was ever pregnant in the first place?

Moral arguments aside, is it even practical​ to give the man a say?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.6%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.04%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (35)
16.51%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.62%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
26.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.34%

Watched Threads