Why is postmodern architecture so hideous? Watch

Are you Shaw?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anyone else think modern architecture is so ugly it is safe from kidnappers? Take a look at the Gothic styles, or Neoclassical, Victorian. Modernism and postmodernism is a crock of relative ****. We truly have a murderer walking the streets.

Take a look at this:
Boston City Hall 2010: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Boston_city_hall.jpg

The **** is this? Fascist architecture?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think postmodern architecture is hideous. I admit, I don't particularly like the building you've attached but the existence of one distasteful postmodern building does not automatically make everything else terrible. There are lots of really nice postmodern buildings, such as the Sony Canari building and Parkview Square in Singapore.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Are you Shaw?)
Does anyone else think postmodern architecture is so ugly it is safe from kidnappers? Take a look at the Gothic styles, or Neoclassical, Victorian, heck even Modernist, postmodernism is a crock of relative ****. We truly have a murderer walking the streets.

Take a look at this:

It's Brutalist architecture, another example closer to home is the old Birmingham Library (now replaced)

Are you Shaw?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Architecture-er)
It's Brutalist architecture, another example closer to home is the old Birmingham Library (now replaced)

This is clear proof there is no God. Modernism has now been placed on my list as well
Luketreherne
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone else think postmodern architecture is so ugly it is safe from kidnappers? Take a look at the Gothic styles, or Neoclassical, Victorian, heck even Modernist, postmodernism is a crock of relative ****. We truly have a murderer walking the streets.

Take a look at this:

I think it is a matter of intended consequences. Architecture that was considered great and pioneering for example the barbican estate however as the needs of the population changes over time , the architecture is favoured. How were the architects supposed to know what people in the future want , whilst in that topic there's a great video surrounding this topic it's rather long.

I'll post in my next post below this one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Luketreherne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.elevatinglondon.co.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Luketreherne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1388864319.549551.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  9.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is clear proof there is no God.
Mm, the modernist movement (including Brutalism) was somewhat crippled by a mindset that, by creating architecture in a certain way, a society could be shaped and moulded into a unified utopia.

Obviously sounds a bit abhorrent in hindsight, but coming out of the World Wars it had a lot of traction, as a way of portraying the host nations as triumphant and resilient.

That's why so many highrise estates in this country are from the 1950-1960's, it was thought that these concentrated residences would maximise efficiency and allow for a more 'rational' urban planning to take place. However people soon realised that citizens were rather fond of their neighbourhoods retaining identity and soul, and would rather kill themselves than live in anonymous pigeon holes :rolleyes:
Are you Shaw?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Architecture-er)
Mm, the modernist movement (including Brutalism) was somewhat crippled by a mindset that, by creating architecture in a certain way, a society could be shaped and moulded into a unified utopia.

Obviously sounds a bit abhorrent in hindsight, but coming out of the World Wars it had a lot of traction, as a way of portraying the host nations as triumphant and resilient.

That's why so many highrise estates in this country are from the 1950-1960's, it was thought that these concentrated residences would maximise efficiency and allow for a more 'rational' urban planning to take place. However people soon realised that citizens were rather fond of their neighbourhoods retaining identity and soul, and would rather kill themselves than live in anonymous pigeon holes :rolleyes:
Well that backfired. They've created a dystopia for my eyes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads