The Student Room Group

AQA GCE A2 Geography Unit 3 -12th of June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by gemma-t96
I did the tectonics 40 mark essay and I wrote the wrong type of plate boundary for my earthquakes! Majorly worrying now that it will really affect my marks! D:

Wrong type of plate boundary earthquakes form at all of them..
Original post by mashaw

my overall view was that technology can help reduce the impact of earthquakes but its not the best way because not everyone can afford it and in the most effective way so other methods of preparedness are more better because that doesn't have a price tag
did anyone do the world cities essay? what sort of things did people mention for it??
Reply 1383
I'm absolutely terrified.. I missed out an 8 and 10 marker from time issues. I felt the Weather and Climate essay was good and the Tectonics structured, so hoping all is not lost and I can bring my mark up by 4b.
Any thoughts on weather and climate 40 marker?
Original post by mashaw

I meant for my case studies its so frustrating because as soon as I got out of the room I knew what it was :mad:
Original post by DackSploit
Anybody that done plate tec 40 marker write down the points you said in the exam!!!

spent ages doing hazard resistant design, then prediction + evacuation and problems of prediction, preventing people from building on reclaimed areas from the sea, then reducing impacts of landslides using stuff like rock bolts and spraycrete. i concluded saying technology is the best way, was going to talk about community preparedness but ran out of time!!!!
Original post by DackSploit
Anybody that done plate tec 40 marker write down the points you said in the exam!!!

my overall view was that technology can help reduce the impact of earthquakes but its not the best way because not everyone can afford it and in the most effective way so other methods of preparedness are more better because that doesn't have a price tag
Original post by Kumis
I know soooo easy

Legend
I did my whole exam on the computer today and I don't think I did but if I did put down the wrong numbers for questions (I was rushing) would the examiner use his common sense and mark the right question?
Reply 1389
For the development v security question what was the actual wording of the question? Was it correct to just discuss how security is needed before development and then the opposing view?
was I the only one that found that quite hard? :s-smilie: I can't tell how I've done but I really need a C so I'm praying
For the plate tectonics essay there were so many ways you could go with it. Some people said why technology was the best, then explained the negatives of the other ways to manage them. I described different technology types used in prediction and preparation (building types) then said it wasn't the best and talked about other way's that reduce the impacts such as education, aid, preparedness.
For the tectonics essay I spoke about the strengths and weaknesses of early warning systems and seismometers for prediction. Then compared it with what else might be the 'best' way, but assessed those and came to the conclusion there is no 'best way' as it all depends on natural factors, and only so much can be done to limit the impact.
Original post by Kumis
I know soooo easy

I didn't say it was easy - but I just thought it was good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used lots of mini case study examples to illustrate my points in the essay, rather than 2 or 3 in depth. I know you have to show comprehensive and detailed evidence of synopticity , so now I'm worried :/ I had quite a few statistics and explanation of my points though, do you think I will be ok?

Also how much did everyone write? I filled the entire 12 page booklet and had 5 minutes to go (wasn't really worth starting a new one). Over 4 pages for the essay; I'm quite happy :smile:

*waits for TSR to say how they filled 5 booklets each with 20 page essay :redface: *
So how many marks could I have lost if I didn't write an opposing side for discuss in the 40 mark essay and the 10 mark tectonics question
Original post by Comeback
I used lots of mini case study examples to illustrate my points in the essay, rather than 2 or 3 in depth. I know you have to show comprehensive and detailed evidence of synopticity , so now I'm worried :/ I had quite a few statistics and explanation of my points though, do you think I will be ok?

Also how much did everyone write? I filled the entire 12 page booklet and had 5 minutes to go (wasn't really worth starting a new one). Over 4 pages for the essay; I'm quite happy :smile:

*waits for TSR to say how they filled 5 booklets each with 20 page essay :redface: *

I filled the first booklet and 1 page on the next so pretty similar yeah :smile:
Original post by gemma-t96
I did the tectonics 40 mark essay and I wrote the wrong type of plate boundary for my earthquakes! Majorly worrying now that it will really affect my marks! D:

Aw man I forgot to write which plate boundaries my case studies were at! I'm sure it won't matter too much.
Original post by Comeback

I did this too about the case studies! but also used synopticity by linking to other topics.
haha i did 18 pages! but really big writing :smile: and i did my plans on the paper
Original post by vogueegirl
was I the only one that found that quite hard? :s-smilie: I can't tell how I've done but I really need a C so I'm praying

The people who find these difficult tend to be the ones who did best, assuming you revised well and knew your stuff.

If people said an exam is 'easy' it is possible they were complacent and did not cover enough ground/over simplified things.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest