The Student Room Group

Moving into a new university accommodation tomorrow. Would appreciate any tips/advice

Hi, I didn't get off to a great start last term and kind of missed the boat making friends with my hallmates to the point at which it got awkward to be around them. I've been given a chance at a fresh start this term as I'm moving into new halls. Obviously friendship groups will already be formed as it's the second term and I'm worried about it being awkward to just suddenly turn up as one of their new hallmates, especially in the kitchen. Really would like some advice about it. Thanks.
The best advice is what you are told do do during freshers. Be chatty, introduce yourself and act interested in their course/lives/etc. The first thing to get you talking to them would be asking which cupboard/ shelf is free for you to put your stuff (if you're self catered). If they're quite a close flat they'll probably all eat dinner at around the same time. Make sure you're in the kitchen then at least sometimes. Sit with them and talk, or if that's too daunting just try and chat while you're cooking. If you run into one of them in the hall/kitchen/outside always at least say hello.Personally, I'd be honest and say that you never got close with your first flatmates and you didn't feel at home. If they're half decent people they won't mind you joining in.

One of my flatmates switched flats into ours and she's so much happier here because we don't ignore her like her old flat did!
Reply 2
HPF
OP
Original post by feathered-soul
The best advice is what you are told do do during freshers. Be chatty, introduce yourself and act interested in their course/lives/etc. The first thing to get you talking to them would be asking which cupboard/ shelf is free for you to put your stuff (if you're self catered). If they're quite a close flat they'll probably all eat dinner at around the same time. Make sure you're in the kitchen then at least sometimes. Sit with them and talk, or if that's too daunting just try and chat while you're cooking. If you run into one of them in the hall/kitchen/outside always at least say hello.Personally, I'd be honest and say that you never got close with your first flatmates and you didn't feel at home. If they're half decent people they won't mind you joining in.

One of my flatmates switched flats into ours and she's so much happier here because we don't ignore her like her old flat did!

I'm just really nervous about it that's all...thanks for the advice.
Just talk to people. Honestly.

Remember when the new kid started at school? They always made friends fairly rapidly - or at least that was the case at my school, with the exception of the girl who never spoke to anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest