The Student Room Group

Preparing for University Study

When I go to uni this year it will have been two years since I left sixth form and I'm worried about how I will get back into learning. I will be doing a combined honours degree (Theology and History) as these subjects interest me greatly and I think I have a bit of a flair for them.

Can anyone advise me on how to prepare for these subjects over the next 9 months, especially History as I haven't studied this since AS level. I have a huge pile of books but is it enough just to read them?
Doing some accademic reading would be a good idea, and will probably help you when you start in September. However, try not to worry too much.

First year (especially the first term) is designed to ease you in to university level study. Many people will be in similar situations to you, having been on a gap year, or having spent time away from education. There is often support available for things like essay writing, if this is something you are worried about (although you do have to look for/ask about this). Don't forget your first year doesn't usually count towards your final grade, so as long as you pass everything at first, and start improving towards the end of the year you will be fine.

Getting into the habit of doing regular reading/study again before you start might be helpful though.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice, would you recommend taking notes from the reading? Or is this a bit much? I want to do other stuff as well such as visiting museums and attending talks.
Hey,
What did you do in that gap from study?....I think for that type of degree there are a lot of essays so maybe practice one or two
Reply 4
I'm working for Sainsbury's. I'm saving like mad.

Do they teach you how to write a uni standard essay? Do they also teach you how to research?
Original post by Add!ction

Do they teach you how to write a uni standard essay? Do they also teach you how to research?

May I ask how you found your job, I'm having a lot of difficulty finding one :frown: ... at least sainsbury's is good experience! I'm not sure , didn't do history ...what are you planning to do with your degree or are you just pursuing your interest for now?
Reply 6
Original post by Legendairy
May I ask how you found your job, I'm having a lot of difficulty finding one :frown: ... at least sainsbury's is good experience! I'm not sure , didn't do history ...what are you planning to do with your degree or are you just pursuing your interest for now?

I used a website called indeed.co.uk, it's updated all the time. Supermarkets are great to work for as they're really flexible and it's great work experience.

My plan is to finish my degree and then do a PGCE. Teach for a few years in order to save to fund postgraduate study. I'd love to do a Phd, just hope I'm smart enough lol!
Reply 7
Original post by Add!ction

They might have some sessions on researching for an essay but normally its a case of heres the reading list, heres the question go and find books which are relevant, that bit isn't too hard as its normally obvious which books are. From my experience they might may vague statements about how to write an essay but really your left to do it yourself. If you have any problems though your tutors are normally happy to help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending