The Student Room Group

AS AQA Physics PHYA1: Particles, Quantum Phenomena & Electricity

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by physicso
Anyone else get majorily stuck on potential divider type questions with a load of elements in series and in parallel?

I swear to god each time theres a new way of calculating things

Electricity is such a marmite subject. I hope there's less difficult questions on it this year given the heavy emphasis in unit 3...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by wyntersugar
I have the exact same as you in addition to chemistry on friday.

The only thing I hope for is that the questions are just repeats of what came up in the past paper and that there is only one 6-marker On something like describe the photoelectric effect, or describe how fluorescence tube works which I don't think has come up yet.

The easiest 6 marker I've come across is differences and similarities between hadrons and leptons but that came up fairly recently, I hope it's not on oscilloscopes :/
Reply 22
Original post by CD223
It's nice they're all on different days though! Core 2 & History on the same day will suck! What's your prediction for the 6 marker for physics? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch, I have no idea :/ it might be something completely different to every other paper :/
Reply 23
Original post by Jords13
The easiest 6 marker I've come across is differences and similarities between hadrons and leptons but that came up fairly recently, I hope it's not on oscilloscopes :/

It'd have to be an in depth topic that you could get six marks on.. Particle sorting would be great but that was June 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anyone shed any light on question 6b and 6bii/iii?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-QP-JAN13.PDF

I have NO idea how to calculate the PD across the different resistors - i got completely wrong answers!

Plus are you supposed to use a potential divider argument for part 2 of the question? :frown:
Original post by physicso
Could anyone shed any light on question 6b and 6bii/iii?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-QP-JAN13.PDF

I have NO idea how to calculate the PD across the different resistors - i got completely wrong answers!

Plus are you supposed to use a potential divider argument for part 2 of the question? :frown:

I'm also doing this paper now and I can't do this question as well.Questions like these seem to me as if they change the rules.Electricity is what frustrates me but everything else is fine.
Reply 26
I'm also doing this paper now and I can't do this question as well.Questions like these seem to me as if they change the rules.Electricity is what frustrates me but everything else is fine.

I believe it's 2V between C and D because it's 6V and 4V on either side, so the differences is 2V?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by CD223
It'd have to be an in depth topic that you could get six marks on.. Particle sorting would be great but that was June 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah:/ Its a shame:/ not ready for this tomorrow...
Reply 28
For 6 markers:

Jan 12 - Electricity
June 12- Electricity (Oscilloscopes)
Jan 13 - Electricity
June 13 - Particles (Hadrons and leptons)

My guess is that it could be on quantum phenomena for example line spectra or the photoelectric effect (this is based on the last 4 past papers)

However darned AQA could throw in yet another boring old elec one, who knows...
Reply 29
Original post by Jords13
Yeah:/ Its a shame:/ not ready for this tomorrow...

Agreed. Not in the mood to revise either! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Kingnig
For 6 markers:

Jan 12 - Electricity
Jan 13 - Electricity

My guess is that it could be on quantum phenomena for example line spectra or the photoelectric effect (this is based on the last 4 past papers)

It best not be electricity again or I'll cry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kingnig
For 6 markers:

Jan 12 - Electricity
Jan 13 - Electricity

I don't think its going to be on electricity because that has come up too much( but you never know with AQA). I really want it to be about the fluorescent tube because that hasn't come up already.
Reply 32
I don't think its going to be on electricity because that has come up too much( but you never know with AQA). I really want it to be about the fluorescent tube because that hasn't come up already.

#prayforparticles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Does anyone know if it's possible to get extra paper before an exam starts so as to not have to wait to put your hand up mid-exam? I always need extra paper in physics because my handwriting is massive and takes up virtually two lines, and didn't know if this was possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34

Yeah fluorescence is probably one of the most likely actually, thats a good call
Reply 35
Good luck for tomorrow everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by CD223
Agreed. Not in the mood to revise either! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i didnt do any revision yesterday, far too tired and definitely not in the mood anymore!
That paper was alright though...
Think i ****ed up the electricity questions...
Reply 37
I thought it was rather tough but that there were place you could pick up marks - how did everyone else find it"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by CD223
I thought it was rather tough but that there were place you could pick up marks - how did everyone else find it"

Posted from TSR Mobile

SO glad fluorescence came up, revised it last night, but yeah i was very satisfied with the paper
Do you have an idea how you did? What sort of marks out of 70 roughly?
You know for the 6 mark question, I was really running low on time so I think I botched up. I wrote that I would place resistor in water bath? With thermometer, and take 5 degree increment readings, whilst adding ice to the water. Then plot a graph of voltage against temperature? Is this totally wrong? If it is, am I able to salvage any marks at all?

Original post by Kingnig
SO glad fluorescence came up, revised it last night, but yeah i was very satisfied with the paper

Quick Reply

Latest