The Student Room Group

I can't decide what courses I want to do?

In September 2014, I have a couple choices of subject combinations;

Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.

Maths, Computing, Physics and Philosophy.

Philosophy, Psychology, English Literature and Ancient History.

But I really don't know what to do.. Could someone please give me details about the courses above, and their experience and tips on how to chose what I want to do?

I am the most indecisive person ever and not knowing what I want to do, is making me loose sleep. :frown:

Thanks in advance for answers.
Reply 1
I did the top 4 (Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics) and really enjoyed all of them.

Maths by far has the least content out of the lot, but is really interesting at the same time, especially if your school lets you pick the applied modules that you do. Chemistry was my favourite as the theory is fun to learn and the practicals break up lessons so it's not like you're constantly writing. Biology has the most content and is more about rote learning than comprehension in places but then there are areas which are really interesting, I personally really enjoyed the topics on DNA replication and respiration. Physics was the biggest jump from GCSE to A Level, with the first module being really mathematical but then there's lots of qualitiative stuff on quantum theory that you get to learn.

Do you have any idea what you'd like to do at university?
Reply 2
Original post by alow
I did the top 4 (Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics) and really enjoyed all of them.

Maths by far has the least content out of the lot, but is really interesting at the same time, especially if your school lets you pick the applied modules that you do. Chemistry was my favourite as the theory is fun to learn and the practicals break up lessons so it's not like you're constantly writing. Biology has the most content and is more about rote learning than comprehension in places but then there are areas which are really interesting, I personally really enjoyed the topics on DNA replication and respiration. Physics was the biggest jump from GCSE to A Level, with the first module being really mathematical but then there's lots of qualitiative stuff on quantum theory that you get to learn.

Do you have any idea what you'd like to do at university?

I have a couple ideas for University which are Biochemistry, Physics, Computer Science or a Social Science degree such as Philosophy or Sociology.

I'm not entirely sure what I would like to do, but those are the general ideas of what I like the sound of.

How hard was doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology? Apparently it is a hard combination, but well respected when apply for Universities (in the Science departments).
And is it true that universities like prospective students having a more essay based subject to show they can do essays and more written based learning?
Reply 3
don't do these: computing, philosophy, psychology, eng lit, ancient history
Reply 4
Original post by noxxie013
I have a couple ideas for University which are Biochemistry, Physics, Computer Science or a Social Science degree such as Philosophy or Sociology.

I'm not entirely sure what I would like to do, but those are the general ideas of what I like the sound of.

How hard was doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology? Apparently it is a hard combination, but well respected when apply for Universities (in the Science departments).
And is it true that universities like prospective students having a more essay based subject to show they can do essays and more written based learning?

Well that's a pretty wide range! For Biochem obviously you shoudl do biology and chemistry. If you apply to physics it does look very good to have done Further Maths (although it's not a requirement). Compsci would need maths and probably another science like Chem or Physics too.

Philosophy and Sociology are obviously very essay based so it would be a good idea to do essay subjects at A Level. Have you thought about doing something like Physics with Philosophy?

I didn't find it too hard, obviously it is different for each person but for me biology was the most difficult due to the massive amount of content and maths the easiest as it comes easily to me.

Unless you're applying to a subject or uni where they want you to be well rounded (e.g. I think at UCL for medicine they like an essay subject), not doing an essay subject wont matter. I've applied this year with no essay subjects and got all 5 offers for physics so they obviously didn't care.
Reply 5
Original post by alow
Well that's a pretty wide range! For Biochem obviously you shoudl do biology and chemistry. If you apply to physics it does look very good to have done Further Maths (although it's not a requirement). Compsci would need maths and probably another science like Chem or Physics too.

Philosophy and Sociology are obviously very essay based so it would be a good idea to do essay subjects at A Level. Have you thought about doing something like Physics with Philosophy?

I didn't find it too hard, obviously it is different for each person but for me biology was the most difficult due to the massive amount of content and maths the easiest as it comes easily to me.

Unless you're applying to a subject or uni where they want you to be well rounded (e.g. I think at UCL for medicine they like an essay subject), not doing an essay subject wont matter. I've applied this year with no essay subjects and got all 5 offers for physics so they obviously didn't care.

I did think about Philosophy and Physics but I wasn't too sure about it. I haven't read too much into it so I might do that at some point.
Reply 6
Original post by noxxie013
I did think about Philosophy and Physics but I wasn't too sure about it. I haven't read too much into it so I might do that at some point.

You should :smile: always good to explore all of your options!
Do what you're good at and what you enjoy - A-levels are tough and if you don't enjoy your subjects you won't feel motivated to do them... motivation is key.

If I were you I'd go for the science route as it opens up a much wider range to you in terms of uni courses. Although having 3 sciences and one essay subject shows that you are well rounded (I'd probably go for English lit or history here), however beware, I don't recommend taking physics without maths.
If you don't like your subjects you can simply swap them during the first two weeks of being in year 12. Any later and it'll be hard to persuade your teachers but it's definitely possible... I was able to take on an A2 subject three months in to the academic year despite only being in year 12.
Reply 8
I took English lit, History, Maths and Physics and now I am doing English at uni (talk about random combination right? Is what everyone said when I told them!) But I enjoyed them.

Never ever take Physics without Maths.
Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics - Really hard :/

Maths, Computing, Physics and Philosophy - Might be the best

Philosophy, Psychology, English Literature and Ancient History - Kinda weak combination
Maths, chemistry, biology and physics (especially if the exam board is AQA) will be very hard. Although i loved biology it was really tough :frown: i'd opt for the middle option but go with what option you would enjoy and what would be most helpful :smile: you will more than likely succeed if you enjoy the subjects than putting loads of pressure on yourself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I have similar decision, between further maths or biology.. Computing is really hard at GCSE I'm really struggling and I'm not thick... However if philosophy is something you really want to do it might be good. Nonetheless its not known for being the most academic. I'd do the first...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest