The Student Room Group

AS AQA Mathematics Core 1 MPC1 June 2014

Anyone else got this exam coming up in the summer? It's on 19/05/14.
Please feel free to share any revision resources or links you find useful!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CD223
Anyone else got this exam coming up in the summer? It's on 19/05/14.
Please feel free to share any revision resources or links you find useful!

Instead of butt raping the A-level section have you tried to put in the maths section? Better chance of a response that way :smile:
Reply 2
Sorry! I've just started using TSR again and had no idea you could specify subjects!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Ok so this is next Monday - who's got last minute tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Always remember to do plus or minus when you square root a number and learn all properties of a circle because anything from gcse can come up!
Reply 5
Original post by lukejohnston13
Always remember to do plus or minus when you square root a number and learn all properties of a circle because anything from gcse can come up!

Thank you very much! I'll bear both of those in mind! I've been fooled by plus or minus with square roots before...

Posted from TSR Mobile
No worries! What grade are you hoping to get?
Done all the past papers, what do I do now lol? :frown:
Do solomon past papers, they're harder! Or just do all the past papers again and see if you've learned!
Reply 9
No worries! What grade are you hoping to get?

I'm hoping to get an A which I know will be hard but I've managed to scrape one in the last 3 papers I've done so who knows haha!

Thanks for the tips they're really helpful - I think I'll just go over past papers between now and Monday - not much else left to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
HELP PLEASE! :confused:

When doing integration and differentiation questions, do you have to write down the '+c' (intercept)? Will I lose marks if i don't write it down?
Original post by sadeqrahman

When doing integration and differentiation questions, do you have to write down the '+c' (intercept)? Will I lose marks if i don't write it down?

+c is used only in integration. this is because in differentiation the equation is 'reduced' so to speak (this is how i think it is any way), whereas in integration we are trying to find the whole equation from the reduced, so we do not know what number is last (assuming we follow: ax^2+bx+c)

hope this helps, i hve C1 on 19 May as well
Reply 12

Firstly, differentiation doesn't require a constant '+c'.

Secondly, you won't lose marks for not writing it down in C1 - a lot of the mark schemes say "condone no +c". In general it is good practice to write a +c when integrating infinite integrals with no boundaries, but with definite integrals (ones that specify between 2 and 0 for example) you needn't put the +c as you will be taking one +c away for the other when you subtract anyway.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Firstly, differentiation doesn't require a constant '+c'.

Secondly, you won't lose marks for not writing it down in C1 - a lot of the mark schemes say "condone no +c". In general it is good practice to write a +c when integrating infinite integrals with no boundaries, but with definite integrals (ones that specify between 2 and 0 for example) you needn't put the +c as you will be taking one +c away for the other when you subtract anyway.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :biggrin:

ALWAYS write it down when intergrating, better to be safe than sorry as you wont lose any marks for writing it
Reply 15
Thanks! :biggrin:

No worries! I reckon I'll just do past papers for the next two days. Doesn't help that this is my busiest week for exams!

How is everyone finding Core 2? I personally make more mistakes on Core 1 as I don't have the luxury of a calculator, haha!

I made a thread for Core 2 here by the way:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2555532

And Mechanics 1 if you're also doing that :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2555533

Posted from TSR Mobile
I remember doing the jan 2013 paper and it asked to integrate a question and you could actually work out what the c... So always write it down or you'll miss that like me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I remember doing the jan 2013 paper and it asked to integrate a question and you could actually work out what the c... So always write it down or you'll miss that like me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it does help in that case I totally agree, but with limits it seems silly to write a +c if it is being taken away straight away :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Reply 19
You guys ready?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest