Has the current government flipped people's attitudes towards those on benefits? Watch

The_Guv
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
During Labour, generally speaking, people on benefits were seen as scum, leeches, people who need to "get out there" and "get a job", adults saying "in my day we could go out looking for a job and come back with one in time for tea", or people claiming to be ill to get benefits. I've even heard schoolchildren react to someone being unemployed with "you're living off my taxes", even though the person may never have been on JSA nor had the kids paid taxes during their time at their public school.

It seems now people have sympathy toward those on benefits. People who were previously anti-benefits have been made redundant and found themselves on it, or know someone who has. I think we all know a bunch of unemployed people our age (who are legitimately trying). There's the coverage of Atos, people being declared fit for work while on their hospital bed, or dying a week later. A4e, and copycat companies like Maximus, having their true intentions exposed regularly. The bedroom tax's effect on the disabled. The sanction targets.

The paralympics in London allegedly helped the image of the disabled (though personally I don't see how seeing disabled people do amazing athletic things helps, seems to me like a big "I told you so" for the scrounger-accusers).

Do you think the current government has turned people on benefits from 'scroungers' to 'victims', or are they still massively discriminated against by the general public? When will people's perceptions flip, and why?

(Excluding the chavs who have tonnes of kids without giving a **** and aim to live on benefits for the rest of their lives because it's easier, of course)
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People, especially the media, like to complain. So under Labour, they highlighted those who were living best on benefits, as they represented a failure (the government failing to spend money wisely). Now the coalition is aiming to crack down on benefit abuse, they will inevitably end up hitting a few people who need and deserve the benefits (sadly, a government of the size which we have will always more resemble a mallet than a scalpel). As such, the media will highlight those who are being left without the benefits they need (the victims), as they now represent the failure of policy.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the government is partially responsible. They've failed to sell welfare reform effectively, leaving a gap for the various opponents to flow in to.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
While the social attitudes surveys have shown some degree of sympathy towards those on benefits compared with previous studies, we should note that the British public remains hostile to the unemployed. In general, sympathy lies with those who genuinely need it; especially the disabled. The Government's welfare reforms are generally quite popular among the public and are among the most popular policies implemented.

Apologies for using the word 'general' a lot but when dealing with public opinion, there are no definitive answers, only trends.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The_Guv)
During Labour, generally speaking, people on benefits were seen as scum, leeches, people who need to "get out there" and "get a job", adults saying "in my day we could go out looking for a job and come back with one in time for tea", or people claiming to be ill to get benefits. I've even heard schoolchildren react to someone being unemployed with "you're living off my taxes", even though the person may never have been on JSA nor had the kids paid taxes during their time at their public school.

It seems now people have sympathy toward those on benefits. People who were previously anti-benefits have been made redundant and found themselves on it, or know someone who has. I think we all know a bunch of unemployed people our age (who are legitimately trying). There's the coverage of Atos, people being declared fit for work while on their hospital bed, or dying a week later. A4e, and copycat companies like Maximus, having their true intentions exposed regularly. The bedroom tax's effect on the disabled. The sanction targets.

The paralympics in London allegedly helped the image of the disabled (though personally I don't see how seeing disabled people do amazing athletic things helps, seems to me like a big "I told you so" for the scrounger-accusers).

Do you think the current government has turned people on benefits from 'scroungers' to 'victims', or are they still massively discriminated against by the general public? When will people's perceptions flip, and why?

(Excluding the chavs who have tonnes of kids without giving a **** and aim to live on benefits for the rest of their lives because it's easier, of course)
Teaddict and Lib are correct.

I still believe the majority of the public are in support of more welfare limitations and will continue to be however the failure in implementation of the spare room subsidy and disability reviews means that there are a few select examples which will come back to bite the government. Personally i place the blame entirely at Ian Duncan Smith who i consider to be the least competent minister I've ever seen and i say that as somebody who's voted Conservative for 6 straight years and proudly carries a membership card.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
During Labour, generally speaking, people on benefits were seen as scum, leeches,
Actually if you look at any of the coverage of people signing on during 2008 as unemployment started to rise you'd find that really wasn't the case.

For most of the time they were in office unemployment was at multi-decade lows so there was little talk of it then.

So where did you get this idea from?

Edit:
Stuff like this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8040217.stm
illegaltobepoor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think people just genuinely hate the disabled. But the thing with British people is they are pure cowards. For example. They are scared about being called racist but don't mind cutting welfare payments to disabled people who view those payments as a life line.

I think British people should just say what is on their mind and act upon it instead of being the cowardly yellow bellies they've always been.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
I think people just genuinely hate the disabled. But the thing with British people is they are pure cowards. For example. They are scared about being called racist but don't mind cutting welfare payments to disabled people who view those payments as a life line.

I think British people should just say what is on their mind and act upon it instead of being the cowardly yellow bellies they've always been.
You do only seem to mention the disabled. Never carers, never those made redundant...

Its like you have a vested interest or something...
GrumpyCat
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Perhaps i've been living under a rock. But this current government hasent shift views from peeps on benefits at all, it has infact intensified the views that those on benefits are scroungers.
345rty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If anything I think it has intensified views. I say this as someone who hasn't known anyone out of work or struggling to find work who has actually made serious efforts to look.
345rty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by illegaltobepoor)

Alright then...

Either your family should look after you or you should find what work you can do however difficult. I don't want to pay for your family to shirk their responsibilities.
The_Guv
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
where did you get this idea from?
Just life.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just life.
Rrrriiiggghhttttt....

And the creation of JCP with its modern office like atmosphere and abolision of the traditional 'dole queue' kinda passed you by did it?

Labour did quite a lot to take the stigma of claiming.
The_Guv
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Rrrriiiggghhttttt....

And the creation of JCP with its modern office like atmosphere and abolision of the traditional 'dole queue' kinda passed you by did it?

Labour did quite a lot to take the stigma of claiming.
Oh ****, it's an internet arguer.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh ****, it's an internet arguer.
You're on the internet, on a forum.

What d'ya expect?
The_Guv
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
You're on the internet, on a forum.

What d'ya expect?
Wow.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep.

Angers been moved from the banking crisis, MP pay rise

towards benefits and immigration and the disabled.

Brilliant.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Always held fairly similar attitudes on welfare that it is a social insurance and only those who had paid into it should benefit from it else you're a scrounger.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (136)
18.21%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (76)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (128)
17.14%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (106)
14.19%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (74)
9.91%
How can I be the best version of myself? (227)
30.39%

Watched Threads