The Student Room Group

It's hard out here...not for people like you, Lily

I apologise in advance, as this is a bit of a rant.

Lily Allen's new song, albeit catchy, is not entirely correct. In the music industry, it is much easier for women, no matter how terrible they are, to make into the mainstream and become successful, if they are attractive. For males, by and large, a lot more talent is required. Looking beyond the music industry, Lily Allen is complaining about what she considers to be rampant objectification of women. Studies have shown that, by and large, life is easier for attractive people, and women in particular. Can men get jobs merely because they are attractive? It's not as commonplace.

For attractive women, life is much easier. Men cannot rely on their looks for employment, some women can. What Lily Allen should admit is that it is not 'hard out here' for women, but rather much easier if they are attractive. She complains that 'if you're not a size six, and you're not good-looking, well you'd better be rich, or real good at cooking'. Women have a lot harsher standards when it comes to potential male partners. 'If you don't have a six pack, or drive a Ferrari, you'd better be rich, or a celebrity'. Let's face it, women are a lot more picky, and shallow, on the whole, than men are, because they have more choice.

Finally, her song is flawed, because it clearly doesn't apply to her. It's like Jennifer Lawrence keeps going on about being 'fat in Hollywood' and claiming that she 'eats loads'. These situations do not apply to her, as she is in a privileged group. She is attractive, talented, and, let's face it, white middle class. If everything she claimed is true, then why have people like Adele and Susan Boyle become so successful in the music business? Female artists only have to resort to tactics that result in their objectification when they do not have the talent to back up their appearance, no matter how attractive they may be.

'Hard Out Here' is just the latest in a long line of faux-feminist anthems that sing about a percieved problem, while the singer flounces about, clearly unaffected (see 'Pretty Hurts' by Beyonce). I am the biggest male feminist, but I do think that women need to take a hard look at their position in society, and then we can see how hard it is out there.

Hey Lily, try being a Muslim black man in Britain, and then we'll talk about being instantly judged on appearance (and name), and see how hard it is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey wait a second, I'm not a major feminist but life is very hard for women in certain industries. Now forget lily Allen I don't give a s* about her but if your a woman who isn't pretty then what happens to you? It's a lot harder for you to get somewhere in the world than if u were an unattractive man?! And women who are pretty only get places because of their looks - that's not fair for men and women full stop. Women can be exploited for these reasons too and that's not ok / but attractive men wouldn't be

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply