StressedStudent0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have 13 exams in the summer (including retakes) I completely messed up in my AS levels... and i couldnt retake the year
How many hours a day of revision should i do ? HOW should i specifically revise for each subject?
Any tips and tricks

btw Im doing math chem and bio
Solivagant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't focus on hours. Just do as much as you think you need to do to get the grade you need.
StressedStudent0
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJG21)
Don't focus on hours. Just do as much as you think you need to do to get the grade you need.
I have nooo idea how much i need to do :confused:
Solivagant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by StressedStudent0)
I have nooo idea how much i need to do :confused:
Then just do loads. If you do 1 hour per subject per night that will be more than enough.
Legendairy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No Jan exams really screwed you guys up! Or I guess you didn't want to do in Jan?
B19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Get organised ..Make a timetable of each subject and each of the topics from that you can work out how long you have and how many hours you could spend on each.
StressedStudent0
Rep:
?
(Original post by B19)
Get organised ..Make a timetable of each subject and each of the topics from that you can work out how long you have and how many hours you could spend on each.
hmm... thanks
gerrard1892
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CJG21)
I can only advise with Chemistry and Biology.

When you take apart each exam for both subjects, both seem to contain different styles of questions.

A level chemistry is based on knowing the basic material with more emphasis on things like reaction mechanism's and calculations. For this reason, I would read the books first, go through them and make sure that you understand them page by page. After that I would sit down and write all of the reaction mechanisms out, plus all of the maths stuff such as ph and equilibrium. The idea going through it this way is you learn all of the basic stuff from page to page then all of the extra chemistry stuff, that's the way i did it.

A-level Biology at AS is basic wrote learning, I never thought that I actually applied any of it to the exam where as A2 you have to apply the knowledge.

I based my revision around this idea, I read and understood the biology AS book. When it came to the A2 book, i sat down and went through it page by page taking the AS knowledge and applying it to the understanding of the A2 material.

Hope this helped, I went from DDEE as i missed quite a lot of time through illness at AS to ABB at a-level. I studied Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

I'm happy to answer any more questions
EvasiveRose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For each subject revise by using the set specification so that you're revising all the topics that could come up in the exam. If you start early (depends on how you learn), you won't have to do alot of cramming a month before the exam and can instead focus on past papers and weaker topics
Also as the above users have said make a timetable for what subjects you're going to revise each day and instead of alotting yourself a time instead put down your goal
StressedStudent0
Rep:
?
(Original post by gerrard1892)
I can only advise with Chemistry and Biology.

When you take apart each exam for both subjects, both seem to contain different styles of questions.

A level chemistry is based on knowing the basic material with more emphasis on things like reaction mechanism's and calculations. For this reason, I would read the books first, go through them and make sure that you understand them page by page. After that I would sit down and write all of the reaction mechanisms out, plus all of the maths stuff such as ph and equilibrium. The idea going through it this way is you learn all of the basic stuff from page to page then all of the extra chemistry stuff, that's the way i did it.

A-level Biology at AS is basic wrote learning, I never thought that I actually applied any of it to the exam where as A2 you have to apply the knowledge.

I based my revision around this idea, I read and understood the biology AS book. When it came to the A2 book, i sat down and went through it page by page taking the AS knowledge and applying it to the understanding of the A2 material.

Hope this helped, I went from DDEE as i missed quite a lot of time through illness at AS to ABB at a-level. I studied Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

I'm happy to answer any more questions

Thats kind of what i got at AS :eek:
When did you start revising for A2 and how did you go about with your revision... daily
In biology did you just read and understand or memorise the book
what exam board were you with ?
gerrard1892
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thats kind of what i got at AS :eek:
When did you start revising for A2 and how did you go about with your revision... daily
In biology did you just read and understand or memorise the book
what exam board were you with ?
The best advise that I can give you is to make a timetable as other people have said and then if you got that kind of grades at AS is to just read them all. All i did for about 4 weeks is just read the books. Try and understand the stuff, the AS stuff you will go through in know time the A2 takes more reading. After youve read them all there will be sections that you don't understand, go back over these a couple of times till you fully understand them.

A-level exams are using the knowledge to answer questions, especially at A2
StressedStudent0
Rep:
?
(Original post by gerrard1892)
The best advise that I can give you is to make a timetable as other people have said and then if you got that kind of grades at AS is to just read them all. All i did for about 4 weeks is just read the books. Try and understand the stuff, the AS stuff you will go through in know time the A2 takes more reading. After youve read them all there will be sections that you don't understand, go back over these a couple of times till you fully understand them.

A-level exams are using the knowledge to answer questions, especially at A2
Thanks!
gerrard1892
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks!
Just one extra point, look at past papers to see the style of questions that there asking.

Go through a couple of papers after you've read and revised the work. See how you do, if there are questions that you don't know the information on then go back and read that topic. this way you get both knowledge and revision of the exam papers.

A month and a half before the exams, then go into revision. The reading will have given you most of the info, but the last month and a half will enable you to polish off exam technique and get ready for the exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads