The Student Room Group

Do I have a good dress sense? I'm 19, sometimes get criticised by my peers

I almost always wear jeans, mostly black or dark wash. I wear alot of polo shirts mainly from UCLA, tommy H, Ralph Lauren. Most of my sweaters are from Zara, black or burgandy v neck. I like to wear those look work type coats with collars from all saints. I wear trainers that look like vans but are from Fred perry and Ralph Lauren. I am wondering because i get critisised sometimes by teens saying that i dress too posh or like a old man. Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could be off putting because it makes you look like care about your looks or money more than someone who wears a hoodie and jeans, but it all really depends on your mannerisms-you can dress nice and not get criticized based on your personality. If they criticize you then see if they are truthful in anyway-if they are wrong, then ignore them, you haven't done anything wrong by being yourself. X)
Original post by mhassan
I almost always wear jeans, mostly black or dark wash. I wear alot of polo shirts mainly from UCLA, tommy H, Ralph Lauren. Most of my sweaters are from Zara, black or burgandy v neck. I like to wear those look work type coats with collars from all saints. I wear trainers that look like vans but are from Fred perry and Ralph Lauren. I am wondering because i get critisised sometimes by teens saying that i dress too posh or like a old man. Thanks in advance

You sound like you dress nice, they're just jealous because they they look like hobos on acid.
Reply 3
Original post by mhassan

nah it looks good.

they just hating.

Though, the UCLA and big pony polos are naff.

plz no
Reply 4
zara ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Original post by mhassan

Erm you have listed brands and generic clothes? A picture of an outfit would be better, ie the mixture of colours/material/styles.
Original post by FranticMind
Erm you have listed brands and generic clothes? A picture of an outfit would be better, ie the mixture of colours/material/styles.

What this guy said, so we have an idea what your talking about. Maybe a photo of you on a regular day? Or if not you, Google someone with a similar dress sense to you? :smile:
Reply 7
I love Zara clothes! My boyfriend shops there as do I but still. It doesn't sound like you dress bad, sounds nicer than the majority of the people now who think dressing scruffy is the thing to do.
Reply 8
no pics no judgement
Reply 9
Original post by mhassan

I would say your dress sense is good :smile: I also wear some of the brands you have mentioned like Ralph Lauren (great polo's), Zara, I have vans as well but i don't really buy so much of the smart stuff.
Too many labels. No wonder.

You're like a walking designer kid, and no 19 year old student would normally be able to afford that kind of thing without their daddy or mummy chipping in. :colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Sounds a bit labelled for my taste, I find it looks a bit contrived when a guy wears so much stuff like this, like he is trying to hard. Its a bit of a turn off for me when guys care this much about clothes. You should relax your style a bit maybe.
Reply 12
Original post by LolaLowe
Sounds a bit labelled for my taste, I find it looks a bit contrived when a guy wears so much stuff like this, like he is trying to hard. Its a bit of a turn off for me when guys care this much about clothes. You should relax your style a bit maybe.
. I still think my style is better than most people my age who are covered in hollister and superdry. IMO brands such as all saints, zara, tommy H are much better. More sophisticated and Discrete. I hate the look of people wearing a brand just to show it off such as the pig pony ralphies or those hollister shirts with the big writing.
Reply 13
Original post by hollywoodbudgie

You're like a walking designer kid, and no 19 year old student would normally be able to afford that kind of thing without their daddy or mummy chipping in. :colone:
. I get £500 pound to spend each month. I spend £100 pound on clothes and another 100 on day to day stuff. So i save £300 pound each month. Everyone gets pocket money, don't they?
Original post by mhassan
. I get £500 pound to spend each month. I spend £100 pound on clothes and another 100 on day to day stuff. So i save £300 pound each month. Everyone gets pocket money, don't they?

£500 x 12 months of year = £6,000
3 years of university x £6000 = £18,000

Are you telling me, your parents would have provided you around £18,000 'pocket money' by the time you'd have graduated and you see think that is normal?

Jesus. :lolwut:

And I thought people staying away from home learn some independence smh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
£500 x 12 months of year = £6,000
3 years of university x £6000 = £18,000

Are you telling me, your parents would have provided you around £18,000 'pocket money' by the time you'd have graduated and you see think that is normal?

Jesus. :lolwut:

And I thought people staying away from home learn some independence smh.

I am very independent. I can cook, drive, clean etc. not my fault i get this much money. Pocket money has nothing to do with how independent you are. There are cons involved, I receive no financial support such as grants or loans.
Reply 16
I would rather a guy bought in primark than all those designer labels. It is attractive for girls to wear nice clothes but for guys it is different, they should dress presentable and have good hygiene standards, but it should end there
Reply 17
Sounds like you dress well :smile:
Reply 18

Jealousy ain't nice, sweetie.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Jealousy ain't nice, sweetie.

:curious: Neither is saying 'sweetie', unless you enjoy suddenly evoking an image of an old perverted man with terrible teeth...

Anyway, it's not about 'jealousy', it's about living within your means. Just because you have cash to splash, it doesn't mean that you should on such trivial things, esp when the cash isn't even yours to begin with. It's about having the common sense that when you're surrounded by students, of which some are struggling to pay for decent food half the time, you flaunting your ass in designer everything is going to give the first impression that you're a bit of a pomous git. Now, the OP may be the nicest most humble person in the world, however, that's not relevant. The point is that the OP stated that people say that he dresses too poshly and he asked for our opinion on the matter of it- of which, it's yes, he probably does.

:h:

Quick Reply

Latest