Thoughts & Advice on SE ASIA and AUS

Watch
Nilsdejongh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hopefully setting off in March - My Rough Plan.

Aus - 2/3 Months travelling up from sydney to gold coast/brisbane.. thoughts? Other options?

Then maybe NZ Fiji after Aus - not sure on where yet..

Then S-E Asia - Laos, Cambodia, Thailand.. As they're bordering each other do you require flights between them or can it be done easily with trains etc..

So - Aus, ?? , Laos, Cambodia, Thailand

Would love some advice and stuff!

Thanks x
shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nilsdejongh)

Aus - 2/3 Months travelling up from sydney to gold coast/brisbane.. thoughts? Other options?

Then S-E Asia - Laos, Cambodia, Thailand.. As they're bordering each other do you require flights between them or can it be done easily with trains etc..

Thanks x
I did the Australia section of your trip - Sydney to Cairns - and it was brilliant. If you can also make time to get over to Perth then do it - I didn't get there personally but have heard people say it was their highlight of their Oz trip. I found Brisbane a bit of a letdown, so you might shorten your time there - and there's a place called Townsville in Queensland where lots of people stop that is a complete waste of time (nothing there).

I don't have any experience of SE Asia - but do bear in mind that Oz is *pricey*. Although your money will go much much further in SE Asia, you might find you don't have much of it left after three months on the east coast!

Have a great trip!
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nilsdejongh)

Thanks x
I travelled a lot within SE Asia, outside of Singapore and Malaysia rail transport isn't that fantastic.

There is a train service between Thailand and Laos, be prepared for lots of delays.
There is a train service between Thailand and Cambodia, not sure if it is running now as it was suspended as off early last year, tracks are in a perpetual state of disrepair and locomotives do breakdown a lot.

Travelling between countries in SE Asia your best bet is to rely on Air Asia or Jetstar, if you buy it early enough then the tickets are really cheap and it is far more secure than relying on ground transportation.

There are coaches between these countries, road conditions in Thailand is fairly good these days and there are lots of private vans that go between these countries. I wouldn't recommend them for a first time traveller but it is a fairly economical and for the most part safe way to travel.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (37)
17.45%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed