The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No. You know your parents, could you get into their bank account?
Reply 2
Because today when I got a call, they knew my name, address and date of birth.. They then asked me to give them my bank details but I told them to **** off... So there is no way they could actually hack into my bank even if they phoned every single bank in the UK?
Reply 3
DanGrover
You know your parents, could you get into their bank account?

Yes!
Batman
Because today when I got a call, they knew my name, address and date of birth.. They then asked me to give them my bank details but I told them to **** off... So there is no way they could actually hack into my bank even if they phoned every single bank in the UK?

There's a reason they asked for your bank details.... If they didn't need them, they wouldn't have bothered. How would phoning the banks help?
Reply 5
DanGrover
There's a reason they asked for your bank details.... If they didn't need them, they wouldn't have bothered. How would phoning the banks help?

They could use my Identity and then ask the bank to transfer money or something?
Reply 6
You do need a pasword surely. Details won't help.
Batman
They could use my Identity and then ask the bank to transfer money or something?

Wah?! How?!

"Eeer, Hi. My names Dan Grover, I live at xxx and my date of birth is the 18th June, 1988. Can I transfer some money please?"

You think it works like that?!
Reply 8
:laugh:
Reply 9
It's not actually a stupid question.

However, they will need to know where you bank, and go throught the security procedures (usually mother's maiden name). If all they've got is your name, address and date of birth, they can't do much.

They could forge ID documents and then open new accounts, but unless they know where you bank they would risk trying to open an account where you already have one.
Reply 10
By the way, are you thinking of hacking a bank account?
Reply 11
Nuheen
By the way, are you thinking of hacking a bank account?

No way..
Reply 12
Hmmm..
Reply 13
Batman
Hi there, Im just wondering is it true that people can actually hack into your bank by just knowing your name, address and date of birth? Its just i got a phone call from a call centre today and they knew my name and address already including my DOB... Just wondering??

Don't worry about it.. If you had actually given your bank details like account numbers, sort codes and securty numbers then there might have been a problem...

Details such as your name, address and d.o.b are no use to fraudsters...
Reply 14
Batman

Hello Batman, it's Batman; would you be so kind as to pay me the sum of fifty pounds?
Batman
Hi there, Im just wondering is it true that people can actually hack into your bank by just knowing your name, address and date of birth? Its just i got a phone call from a call centre today and they knew my name and address already including my DOB... Just wondering??

Who did they say they were calling from?

And no they cant do it that easily. In order to get into your bank account they would need your actual bank details account number, sort code, verification code, card number start date end date, or issue number. Well not all of them but some of them.

To get into your bank account over the phone they need your MMN and password.

To do it over website you need card number possibly start dates and verification code.

Its not that easy, plus banks use a computor system called FALCON and HUNTER to track unusual activity for instance fi you use your card for small things then buy a car the bank automatically stops it as its outside your usual spending habits.

To do it online they have to hack the banks encyption devices which is not easy to do.

Getting your name address and DOB is easy hall of records will supply it. Getting bank details is harder.
Never give out back details over the phone n proper company would ask you for them except sales companies. They may ask if you call them though but thats fine
Cadre_Of_Storms
Who did they say they were calling from?

And no they cant do it that easily. In order to get into your bank account they would need your actual bank details account number, sort code, verification code, card number start date end date, or issue number. Well not all of them but some of them.

To get into your bank account over the phone they need your MMN and password.

To do it over website you need card number possibly start dates and verification code.

Its not that easy, plus banks use a computor system called FALCON and HUNTER to track unusual activity for instance fi you use your card for small things then buy a car the bank automatically stops it as its outside your usual spending habits.

To do it online they have to hack the banks encyption devices which is not easy to do.

Getting your name address and DOB is easy hall of records will supply it. Getting bank details is harder.
Never give out back details over the phone n proper company would ask you for them except sales companies. They may ask if you call them though but thats fine

What if the fraudsters phone the bank and say that they have lost the card and can't remember the account numbers, sort code etc and say that they have no bank statements aswell because I have thrown them away?
Reply 17
Glamour Girl
What if the fraudsters phone the bank and say that they have lost the card and can't remember the account numbers, sort code etc and say that they have no bank statements aswell because I have thrown them away?

It would explain why they're fraudsters, I suppose.
Glamour Girl

Simple without the password the bank will simply lock the account, a new card will not be sent out.
Then the card holder realises hey hang ona minute my cards not working call the bank and find out whts been done. Chances are the proper card holder kows the sevurity details or at least enough so the pass word can be reset
What password?

You mean the PIN NO?

Latest

Trending

Trending