Walcott gesture - what's your view?

Watch
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
We've all seen the Theo Walcott gesture to the Tottenham fans by now. He put up his fingers to signal the score (2-0) and was reportedly pelted by missiles as he was stretchered off.

What's your view of it?

There is a certain extent of if the fans ARE going to give him stick, they do need to take it. But, where do you draw the line? Walcott's gesture WAS provocative (perhaps not to the same extent of Jack Wilshere at Man City the other week) and I think the FA need to remind him of his responsibilities as a player. Spurs fans throwing missiles is inexcusable and CCTV footage may lead to finding them.

I think the FA will give him a slap on the wrist and a warning, but I think this sets a bad precedent. It shouldn't be okay to do what Walcott did - he could have incited a riot after all. I'm a Liverpool fan and it was all very entertaining for the neutral. But what's your take on it?
Soul of Mischief
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely fine. The Totteringham scum were screaming 'Let Him die' (incidentally the only thing I heard from them all match) and as Wenger said, the coins and bottles were being thrown at him before he even was on the stretcher. How do I know? I was about 10 feet away from it in the Arsenal end. Football fans dish it out and Theo gave it back with a completely non offensive gesture. Hope they caught those scumbags on CCTV and they all get banned. ****s.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever,
MJ1012
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The fans need to be able to take what they give. It was their reaction that changed it from banter to aggression not Walcotts and the responsibility shouldn't be pinned on the player just because it's "easier"
SHOO
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
He did the right thing. Tottenham fans that were there are real scums I swear. Saying let him die and throwing things before he even done anything. I'm quite happy Walcott did that.. Killed them on the pitch and killed them off it!
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good but to be honest does risk those around him stretchering him off.
xDave-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It was pretty stupid. Provoking them not only endangered himself, but also all the staff carrying him. Obviously the fans shouldn't be throwing stuff but they do it anyway, so the players need to be more behaved in those areas of the ground. I know they were already throwing a few things at him, but that just encouraged more. But anyway, no one got hurt and it was pretty funny.
Kim-Jong-Illest
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
best bit of football trollery in a while
chickenonsteroids
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Who cares. The Tottenham fans reacted like babies who didn't get the presents they wanted for Christmas. Nothing wrong with it.
User995789
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's Walcott it's expected.
glousck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Tottenham fans who were throwing coins (and a bread roll, lmao) at him but chose to get outraged when Walcott did the gesture are idiots. Don't give it out if you can't take it. Also strange to see how the media has picked up on this rather than the deliberate stamp on Monreal, but meh. Banter between players and fans is what makes derbies like the NLD even better, it just intensifies the rivalry greater like Henry's celebration in front of the Spurs fans years ago.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
We've all seen the Theo Walcott gesture to the Tottenham fans by now. He put up his fingers to signal the score (2-0) and was reportedly pelted by missiles as he was stretchered off.

What's your view of it?

There is a certain extent of if the fans ARE going to give him stick, they do need to take it. But, where do you draw the line? Walcott's gesture WAS provocative (perhaps not to the same extent of Jack Wilshere at Man City the other week) and I think the FA need to remind him of his responsibilities as a player. Spurs fans throwing missiles is inexcusable and CCTV footage may lead to finding them.

I think the FA will give him a slap on the wrist and a warning, but I think this sets a bad precedent. It shouldn't be okay to do what Walcott did - he could have incited a riot after all. I'm a Liverpool fan and it was all very entertaining for the neutral. But what's your take on it?
My take is you're moist. Very moist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
Nothing wrong with the gesture really, giving as good as he gets really. I'm sure it wasn't till after he realised that he may put the staff in danger either and probably apologised. Noone was hurt in the end and nice to see a bit of character in a game, really.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Couldn't care less. Was pretty funny as well.
Straight up G
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't really understand how anyone can say he put the staff in danger? Telling Spurs fans the score is hardly justification for them throwing coins and bread rolls (LOOOOL) at him.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Straight up G)
I don't really understand how anyone can say he put the staff in danger? Telling Spurs fans the score is hardly justification for them throwing coins and bread rolls (LOOOOL) at him.
WHAT?! No way.
ElGenioEstúpido
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely loved it, consequently, it's now my avatar!
ElGenioEstúpido
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by glousck)
The Tottenham fans who were throwing coins (and a bread roll, lmao) at him but chose to get outraged when Walcott did the gesture are idiots. Don't give it out if you can't take it. Also strange to see how the media has picked up on this rather than the deliberate stamp on Monreal, but meh. Banter between players and fans is what makes derbies like the NLD even better, it just intensifies the rivalry greater like Henry's celebration in front of the Spurs fans years ago.
When I saw that I thought it would be a straight red, or a yellow, and it was only a couple of yards ahead of the Linesman, can't believe it, if Monreal shown pain, then it defo would've been.
Schichtoe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What is frustrating me is the way in which the media create this paradigm of the football fan as practically primal. The 'crowd' are regarded as one, unitary actor with no expectation of the values were would hold as basic and enforceable in any individual. Just because you're part of a group doesn't excuse the relentless abuse, both verbal and in this case physical. He was lying on the ground hurt, and a large group of people were screaming at him. We've all been on terraces and heard the utterly inexcusable things fans will shout.

The problem here isn't Theo Walcott. Don't tell me that a gesture with a smile is an 'incitement to riot' like these fans have no mind of their own, like they cannot be helped. Throwing coins is assault. There is no excuse. That Walcott's reaction is so controlled, so mild mannered, and so without aggression is exceptional in its restraint. Tottenham fans should be ashamed, because a small number of complete idiots have created a representation of the 5,000 there as thugs who are uncontrollable and can't even be blamed for acting in a sub-human way. Let's stop talking about Theo being bad. Let's talk about the fans and their utterly unacceptable behaviour. The onus is on THEM.
glousck
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 419)
My take is you're moist. Very moist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Level of moist: David Moist

(Original post by Mackay)
WHAT?! No way.
Coins, half a bread roll, a lighter and a plastic pepsi cup. Proper hard, those Spurs fans. Bet Theo was traumatized.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (686)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (861)
42.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.11%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed