Macroeconomics - reduction in Government spending and the effect on national income

Watch this thread
lauramercier
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
If the government were to cut their spending, what effect would this have on national income?
I need to answer this question through the use of the aggregate supply and aggregate demand framework.
Can anyone help me?
lauramercier
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Any economic guru willing to help me? Pleeeeeassseeee
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lauramercier)
If the government were to cut their spending, what effect would this have on national income?
I need to answer this question through the use of the aggregate supply and aggregate demand framework.
Can anyone help me?
The AD function is C+I+G+X-M

so if a government cuts their spending, AD falls

using AD/AS analysis, we can shift back AD like this:

as a result, national income falls (Y1 to Y2 due to equilibrium shift)
lauramercier
Rep:
(Original post by Mike_123)

Fab! Thank you!!
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Can anyone help me?
As well as what the post above says, in terms of reducing aggregate demand, think of the potential supply effects. If government cuts investment in infrastructure, roads, railways, airports, or education, or support for science/research etc it could also reduce the aggregate supply potential of the country too.

This would mean that as well as the AD curve shifting inwards, the AS curve would shift upwards (ie at every level of Y there is a higher P).
Olga tatarentcev
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Assume that real GDP in Aspacifica is currently equal to the potential level. (Aspacifica is a hypothetical, small economy in the Asia-Pacific region.) Next, assume that the country experiences a major slump in business investment.
Using no more than two AD-AS (also known as ADI-SRIA) diagrams, illustrate the short-run macro-economic effects of this investment shock.
Provide appropriate explanations, using full sentences.

Please help will happy with any help especially illustration and explanation Thank youuu!!
pmc:producer
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mike_123)

Nice of you to provide a diagram!

Can anyone help me?
Obviously your questions have been answered here, it might also be worth noting the fall would be deltaG x the multiplier (derived from the consumption function), not sure of what exam you're sitting but it might score you extra points!
samboJ
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pmc:producer)
Nice of you to provide a diagram!

Obviously your questions have been answered here, it might also be worth noting the fall would be deltaG x the multiplier (derived from the consumption function), not sure of what exam you're sitting but it might score you extra points!
deltaG x multiplier {multiplier = 1 / 1 - MPC)

Resulting effect in RNI = deltaG / 1 - MPC

Am I correct? AQA level student hoping to take econ at uni. Just interested.
pmc:producer
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by samboJ)
deltaG x multiplier {multiplier = 1 / 1 - MPC)

Resulting effect in RNI = deltaG / 1 - MPC

Am I correct? AQA level student hoping to take econ at uni. Just interested.
c1 = MPC
1 - C1 = MPS
= 1/1-C1

In your equation substitute MPC for MPS!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (66)
16.14%
The paper was reasonable (200)
48.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (101)
24.69%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.27%

Watched Threads