RIP Eusebio Watch

Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
One of the greats of the 60s has passed away sadly.

R.I.P to one of the best Central forwards ever to play.
Padwas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
rip he will be missed

though i bet the younger members will have no idea who he was
ninuzu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Malevolent)
One of the greats of the 60s has passed away sadly.

R.I.P to one of the best Central forwards ever to play.
Not just that, but one of the greats of all time for sure.
733 goals in 745 professional matches.
RIP to a truly magnificent footballer.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by ninuzu)
Not just that, but one of the greats of all time for sure.
733 goals in 745 professional matches.
RIP to a truly magnificent footballer.
Oh yeah most definitely just meant his best period was the 60s
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One of the greatest of all time. His performance in the 5-3 against NK was incredible, and he was great for Benfica too. My thoughts go to his family.
ninuzu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Malevolent)
Oh yeah most definitely just meant his best period was the 60s
I know what you meant! I was just expanding on it
Solivagant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh. RIP. Top player.

Up there with the best.
little_tom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
An all time great. Its such a shame. Its weird because I was watching the Football Greatest documentaries again yesterday and saw Eusebio's as well. I remembered this part (24:45 in this video) and its quite sad

He was a gentleman on and off the pitch, there wont be another like him again.

IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Top footballer. Part of Benfica's greatest team when they were a super power of the European game, winner of the European Cup against a great Real Madrid side, four finals in a decade but the thing I'll always remember about him is THAT shot that Alex Stepney saved at Wembley. One of the all time iconic images in English football history.

Sad to hear that he'd passed away, always seemed to come across as a very nice gentlemen as well as an all time great football player.
ra-ra-ra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Huge respect for this man. Might have played for Benfica but an absolute Portuguese great.

Eusébio’s coffin has just arrived at the Luz with a huge Benfica flag on top and with 1000’s of fans paying their respects. He's been placed right in front of the huge eagle monument inside the stadium. Touching stuff. Benfica president said one of his last wishes was to have one final lap around the Luz, which if i understood correctly will take place tomorrow afternoon

I imagine there will be a wonderful tribute at the Benfica-Porto match next weekend adding an emotional dimension to the game too.
ra-ra-ra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Clearly the Portuguese way of doing things...

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  27.8 KB

Coffin open, eagle overlooking above it, friends and family going up to give Eusébio a kiss. Can't quite see his face in the picture but having seen it live on the television, it's pretty eerie stuff to watch.
Manchester United
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One of the greatest, and most underrated, players of all time.

RIP.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
RIP Eusebio.

Shame he gets hidden in the Pele-Maradona greatest of all time talk.

Unlike both of them, he was actually more humble and reserved.
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ra-ra-ra)
Huge respect for this man. Might have played for Benfica but an absolute Portuguese great.

Eusébio’s coffin has just arrived at the Luz with a huge Benfica flag on top and with 1000’s of fans paying their respects. He's been placed right in front of the huge eagle monument inside the stadium. Touching stuff. Benfica president said one of his last wishes was to have one final lap around the Luz, which if i understood correctly will take place tomorrow afternoon

I imagine there will be a wonderful tribute at the Benfica-Porto match next weekend adding an emotional dimension to the game too.
I bet there's a surreal atmosphere around the Luz tonight with the coffin being taken there. Quite an unusual thing to do but it must be a very emotional night for the fans. I'm sure they'll be taking flowers etc to the statue of him outside the ground as well?

It's a wonderful setting for such a tribute, I really enjoyed the Luz when I went there a couple of years ago. Such an enthusiasm for the game in Lisbon and such a great history at that club as well, great setting for a big game.
Kutta
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just saw some clips of him, He was truly a great player

RIP
ra-ra-ra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
I bet there's a surreal atmosphere around the Luz tonight with the coffin being taken there. Quite an unusual thing to do but it must be a very emotional night for the fans. I'm sure they'll be taking flowers etc to the statue of him outside the ground as well?

It's a wonderful setting for such a tribute, I really enjoyed the Luz when I went there a couple of years ago. Such an enthusiasm for the game in Lisbon and such a great history at that club as well, great setting for a big game.

Name:  Eusebio flags.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  66.0 KB

Yeah, the place is full of scarves from all sorts of teams. Majority Benfica (as expected) but a few Sporting scarves thrown in, i saw a Porto one earlier and even a Cape Verde scarf. As Jorge Jesus said earlier "Eusébio will never die in the hearts of Benfica fans." I think we can say that represents a lot of Portugal. The Government have declared three days of national mourning too. But yeah, it came across as a very peculiar atmosphere when just seeing it on the television before, i imagine it'll be even more strange to see it right in front of you though. Seems pretty fitting that Benficas next game is against Porto at the Luz as well. Couldn't have been a better game and no doubt Benfica will be up for it even more to win it for Eusébio.
PGtips
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Eusebio was a mega player, he was one of the best players ever in my opinion. He basically carried Portugual through the 1966 world cup, rescuing them from losing to North Korea in the quarters by scoring 4 goals in a row when they were 3-0 down. Also part of the Benefica team which was one of the greatest in the world at the time and maybe one of the greatest to have competed in Europe.

He's extremely underrated and overlooked when the media mentions great players from the past like Maradona and Pele. It's quite sad that I didn't know he existed until I did some research on the 1966 world cup back in 2006. A lot of people probably have no idea who he is, although they know about players like Pele, Hurst, Charlton and Beckenbauer who were playing in the same era.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Eusebio > Pele.
Kallisto
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That is very sad for football. No doubt, one of the greatest footballer who have ever played.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (48)
5.85%
Fairly positive (263)
32.07%
Just another year... (323)
39.39%
Is it 2020 yet? (186)
22.68%

Watched Threads