Ways to increase FA Cup prestige

Watch
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Declining attendances, managers suggesting they "could do without" the FA Cup, weaker sides...it's all pointing to a decline in the prestige of the FA Cup.

Whilst Wigan fans will remember their cup glory last year much longer than they would have remembered a 17th place finish...can clubs be blamed for not putting an emphasis on the competition? The incentive isn't as great - the cash on offer is nowhere near the sums that clubs get for getting into/staying in the Premier League.

I heard Jason Roberts on 5 Live yesterday and he suggested offering the cup winners a chance for Champions League qualification by giving them a 3rd round qualifying spot.

Ways to increase the competition's importance would be:
- scrap replays - the fixture list is congested as it is.
- save Wembley for the final and host semi-finals at Old Trafford and Villa Park again.
- get rid of the pink ball.
- give coverage back to the BBC rather than ITV (last night's highlights show was appalling).

What about your view?
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've thought about this quite a lot over the past couple of years and I think for me the main problem is that English football is very antiquated in it's views of cup competitions. As a result of the English love of tradition and cup football we literally have so many of these things ... the FA Cup, the Football League Cup, the FA Trophy and the Football League Trophy all have varying degrees of crossover in terms of the clubs that can compete and as a result none of them mean a whole lot because it's all run together. Of the other top leagues in Europe only France and Portugal have two domestic cups and their league cups are fairly modern additions, meanwhile in Italy, Spain and Germany there's now only one domestic cup and it's treated as more important for it.

So my first move would be to scrap every other domestic cup competition in England apart from the FA Cup. Controversial maybe, but if you want to make a tournament stand out and feel unique it has to be the only one of its kind. End the Capital One Cup, and expand the FA Cup out so that it uses those early league cup midweek slots in the first half of the season. That gives you the fun of the midweek night aways at grounds you wouldn't often get to go to (which fans love) and then the big weekends of cup action after Christmas. Then I'd throw all the teams in at the first round, including your Man Uniteds, Liverpools etc. Straight knockout tournament. No replays, straight to penalties on the night if it ends a draw so that your fans get a conclusive ending and don't feel short changed. Semis at Villa Park and Etihad, and then final at Wembley AFTER the Premier League season has ended. Whole day of build up to the final on TV like it used to be, make a huge deal of it.

This would suit all teams and fans better IMO despite having to break up the tradition. The lower league clubs have more chance of benefiting as they'd be able to meet the big teams from round 1 onwards, so sides who would never normally even still be in the cup by the time United get into it in January could potentially bag a £600,000 plus gate at Old Trafford. It doesn't affect the clubs in Europe as the fixtures would replace the league cup games so there's no extra congestion, and it's better for the fans as with no replays you get what you pay for in terms of buying a ticket to see a team go through and a team go home. Not to mention a wider choice of opposition and a longer run of games to the final. Plus by building up the final as it's own event after the league season it makes it feel like a prestigious trophy not just an add-on to the Premier League.
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Scrap the replays. Final at 3PM on a Saturday after the end of the season. Matches all on BBC. No replays. No Wembley semi-finals. Much more prize money (taken from the stupidly large Premier League fund).
Kutta
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Agree with the BBC Part

Other Ways -

- Increase the financial prize
- Winner gets CL, A bit controversial but would increase the prestige A LOT!
- Home and Away Semi's - Final at Wembley
- Winner becomes "Un-Relegatable" - again unrealistic but would make things interesting
- Bonus points in the league?

Mine are bit unrealistic and controversial but I think it would make things so much more interesting and increse the prestige of the cup. With it being shown on BBC it would be valued more highly as well..
Seathestars
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Scrap replays as already said. Increase prize money, give it more coverage on mainstream TV, etc.
manchesterunited15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
No replays, straight to penalties on the night if it ends a draw so that your fans get a conclusive ending and don't feel short changed.
It must have been even more annoying when the actual final could go to a replay...
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kutta)
Agree with the BBC Part

Other Ways -

- Winner becomes "Un-Relegatable" - again unrealistic but would make things interesting

Mine are bit unrealistic and controversial but I think it would make things so much more interesting and increse the prestige of the cup. With it being shown on BBC it would be valued more highly as well..
I like the idea but unfortunately the winner getting CL would never happen, can you imagine if we sent Wigan into the CL? :lol: It would lower England's coefficient as well.

The winner being unable to be relegated is one I've never heard before, would be fun if it happened
Solivagant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've thought about this quite a lot over the past couple of years and I think for me the main problem is that English football is very antiquated in it's views of cup competitions. As a result of the English love of tradition and cup football we literally have so many of these things ... the FA Cup, the Football League Cup, the FA Trophy and the Football League Trophy all have varying degrees of crossover in terms of the clubs that can compete and as a result none of them mean a whole lot because it's all run together. Of the other top leagues in Europe only France and Portugal have two domestic cups and their league cups are fairly modern additions, meanwhile in Italy, Spain and Germany there's now only one domestic cup and it's treated as more important for it.

So my first move would be to scrap every other domestic cup competition in England apart from the FA Cup. Controversial maybe, but if you want to make a tournament stand out and feel unique it has to be the only one of its kind. End the Capital One Cup, and expand the FA Cup out so that it uses those early league cup midweek slots in the first half of the season. That gives you the fun of the midweek night aways at grounds you wouldn't often get to go to (which fans love) and then the big weekends of cup action after Christmas. Then I'd throw all the teams in at the first round, including your Man Uniteds, Liverpools etc. Straight knockout tournament. No replays, straight to penalties on the night if it ends a draw so that your fans get a conclusive ending and don't feel short changed. Semis at Villa Park and Etihad, and then final at Wembley AFTER the Premier League season has ended. Whole day of build up to the final on TV like it used to be, make a huge deal of it.

This would suit all teams and fans better IMO despite having to break up the tradition. The lower league clubs have more chance of benefiting as they'd be able to meet the big teams from round 1 onwards, so sides who would never normally even still be in the cup by the time United get into it in January could potentially bag a £600,000 plus gate at Old Trafford. It doesn't affect the clubs in Europe as the fixtures would replace the league cup games so there's no extra congestion, and it's better for the fans as with no replays you get what you pay for in terms of buying a ticket to see a team go through and a team go home. Not to mention a wider choice of opposition and a longer run of games to the final. Plus by building up the final as it's own event after the league season it makes it feel like a prestigious trophy not just an add-on to the Premier League.
This. Entirely.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kutta)
Agree with the BBC Part

Other Ways -

I can just imagine it now, Wigan playing in the 2013/2014 Champions League, Sunderland would have been relegated last season and who would United be playing on Tuesday
So Instinct
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Agree.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kutta)
- winner gets CL
Ridiculous idea. Why should winning a national cup allow you to play in Europe? Would you like it if some random ****ty French team got in because they won one of their cups?

Agree with the rest though.
Spaghetti
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jordooooom)
Ridiculous idea. Why should winning a national cup allow you to play in Europe? Would you like it if some random ****ty French team got in because they won one of their cups?

Agree with the rest though.
This. I'm not sure on the exact figure of games you need to play to win the FA Cup, but I suspect it's less than in the league. A mediocre team could stop giving a **** about the league and focus just in the FA Cup, and then get big money in Europe.

Silly idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stannisbaratheon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Better walk out music than the champions league
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stannisbaratheon)
Better walk out music than the champions league
Impossible that music that gets played on Champions league nights

Vintage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How about seeding teams? IE the big guns - Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle etc.

Automatically give them a home game. Draw out the 'lesser' teams - Give them a chance to play a big club - Bringing in extra income for them.

Then have a 'play-off' between the FA Cup Winner & The team that finished 4th in the league for the place in the champions league.

I know people have said offer the winner a CL place straight away but don't forget English clubs performance in the competition affects the reputation & how many places that domestic league gets offered.
Vintage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

You do realize the FA Cup doesn't begin at Round One don't you? It starts in September Qualifying Round One. Surely you wouldn't throw Man Utd in with the likes of Blyth Spartans, Norton And Stockton Ancients Or The Metropoliten Police Fc would you?
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Semis at Villa Park and Etihad
Etihad? How come? OT, St. James' & Goodison before those imo.

Agree with a lot of the post though, just not getting rid of the League Cup.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I like the idea of not having teams playing in Europe in league cup but, how do you justify giving a European place to the winner? If you don't give them one, isn't it then just a glorified fa trophy.

Tbh we've got way too many cup competition. The fa trophy is seriously pointless and clubs don't even take it seriously. I mean two of the three clubs that've won it the most don't even exist anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Etihad? How come? OT, St. James' & Goodison before those imo.

Agree with a lot of the post though, just not getting rid of the League Cup.
Yep it should be rotated everytear. Have one played in Southern region minus london and the played up
North.

Posted from TSR Mobile
skotch
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Those people saying stuff like the FA Trophy and Johnstone's Paint Trophy are pointless should try supporting a lower league team, then come back and tell me those competitions are pointless...

Sure, they're pointless if you support a premiership team, but spare a thought for those of us that don't. We still value cup competitions and the hope of getting to a final just as much as you guys.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.71%
No (647)
65.29%

Watched Threads