Global warming and ice ages.

Watch
vindiboy3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is man responsible for global warming and ice ages or did we have them before we inherited the Earth?
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moved to society
Et Tu, Brute?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
regardless of what maturestudent36 and the rest of the backward thinking anti-climate change crew say, they'll be here eventually, man is largely responsible for the recent rise in temperature yes.

The fact of the matter is that greenhouse gases do cause a rise in temperature, humans are currently producing excessive amounts of these gases into the atmosphere.

As well as bringing carbon into the carbon cycle which would have been on the side lines for quite some time (fossil fuels) we are also removing forests which help to reduce CO2 levels. Cellular respiration and photosynthesis pretty much balance each other out, but we are currently removing some sources of photosynthesis.

In short, these gases will cause heat to be reflected and that includes reflection back to earth, rising the temperature. Given that a large amount of these gases are from human activities then how can anyone argue that man isn't at the very least partially responsible. It baffles me.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What does it matter - the suggested actions to tackle CO2 emissions in order to reduce the impact of climate change are the sort of things we should be doing anyway:

- reducing energy wastage
- improving energy efficiency
- diversifying energy production sources
- finding energy sources that don't rely on a finite resource

If you don't believe the science - fine, whatever, some people believe in fairies.
If you use that belief to argue against the sensible measures listed above - then you're doing a massive favour for a few very rich and powerful industries who have a vested interest in keeping control of finite resources to stay rich and powerful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads