Best (if is one) route into teaching between; Degree with qts or degree then PGCE? Watch

bethrellim
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello! I'm currently studying at Edge Hill Uni doing an English degree. I've just done my first semester and other than the awful parking situation, the uni is really nice I've wanted to go into teaching since AS in college, doing my work exp was so fun! I'm just wondering what is actually the best route into it? There are a lot of cliches attached to this question such as 'do whatever route is best for you' but is that really the case? Sometimes when researching this online I see the degree with qts is more common in primary teaching, whereas a degree then pgce is more common in secondary. I was intending to do my degree then a pgce, but that's ANOTHER year to wait until im employed, and ANOTHER 9,000k debt along with other student finances - im bored of exams and assessments, im bored of living at home with my mum, I want to get my hands stuck in! So if anyone can tell me if going into secondary education looks better with a degree and pgce, or the latter? I've applied to do Secondary Education English with QTS at Edge Hill, I have an interview in 2 weeks time!

Thanks!
lozzielizzie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on person, you get far more time to learning teaching on a undergrad teaching degree. Am on one for physical education and it's majority about teaching and subject knowledge. We get four placement over the fours years. One of my lecturer said it's the best route too take too get into teaching. The thing is I get four years to learn to teach than those on PGCE who only have a year too get it right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
myblueheaven339
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bethrellim)
Hello! I'm currently studying at Edge Hill Uni doing an English degree. I've just done my first semester and other than the awful parking situation, the uni is really nice I've wanted to go into teaching since AS in college, doing my work exp was so fun! I'm just wondering what is actually the best route into it? There are a lot of cliches attached to this question such as 'do whatever route is best for you' but is that really the case? Sometimes when researching this online I see the degree with qts is more common in primary teaching, whereas a degree then pgce is more common in secondary. I was intending to do my degree then a pgce, but that's ANOTHER year to wait until im employed, and ANOTHER 9,000k debt along with other student finances - im bored of exams and assessments, im bored of living at home with my mum, I want to get my hands stuck in! So if anyone can tell me if going into secondary education looks better with a degree and pgce, or the latter? I've applied to do Secondary Education English with QTS at Edge Hill, I have an interview in 2 weeks time!

Thanks!
If you are already on a degree course how is switching going to save you any time/money compared to doing a PGCE afterwards?

I did a PGCE, and I don't know anyone in my school that didn't do a one year training course after they completed their undergraduate degree (as opposed to doing an undergraduate degree with QTS).

Posted from TSR Mobile
bethrellim
Rep:
?
Im using my 120 credits to transfer, so it will be a 2 year course. First year as you already probably know is pretty pointless Maybe its a new thing then, this whole Degree and QTS combination! Ahh so confused at what to do!
bethrellim
Rep:
?
Thanks Lozzielizze, is there many examinations on the course or is it mostly coursework and placement assessed?
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks!
Youll most likely have more placements and have more time to get to grips with your teaching if you do the degree with QTS. It is an unusual route into secondary teaching as not many unis offer it. When you're looking for jobs they may want to see evidence of your English knowledge, but so long as you have modules in just English (not teaching modules) you'll be fine.
myblueheaven339
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im using my 120 credits to transfer, so it will be a 2 year course. First year as you already probably know is pretty pointless Maybe its a new thing then, this whole Degree and QTS combination! Ahh so confused at what to do!
I see. I have met people that have taken that route into primary but it's not very common in secondary. I have absolutely no idea if employers would take any notice of the difference. If the outcome would be the same, but you're saving yourself a years worth of tuition fees it definitely sounds worthwhile!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lozzielizzie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had a mix of exams, coursework, practical assessment as my course is pe and placement which is also needed too be passed. I just started my first six week placement. When I go back I got more practical assessment, two coursework assessment and I think two exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
61.02%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.9%
No- I want it (120)
26.73%
No- I don't want it (33)
7.35%

Watched Threads