What is your favourite physical constant?

Watch
enceladus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So what is it?

I'm mainly asking those people who know it from memory.

Although its a pretty obvious one I'd say mine has to be Plank's 6.626x10^-34. Useful for so many things.

WHATS YOURS?
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Planck's does come up quite a lot, but more often than not h bar. I always like the Stefan-Boltzmann constant it just flows nicely 5678, although I didn't use it very often.
enceladus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fizzel)
Planck's does come up quite a lot, but more often than not h bar. I always like the Stefan-Boltzmann constant it just flows nicely 5678, although I didn't use it very often.

that's true although (even though I do remember 1.055x10^-34) you only need to know plank rather than hbar.

Stephan-Boltzmann does flow nicely I always think the same about the age of the Earth (going by meteorites) 4.567 Ba.
Solivagant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Madelung Constant.
AreebWithaHat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
epsilon nought without a doubt
Stevo F
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
G - the gravitational constant, if you asked the average person what the gravitational constant was they'd probably say g = 9.81ms^-2 but it's not really constant, it changes depending on where you are in the world and it's only a very specific example, G, 6.67x10^-11 m^3 kg-1 s-2 is ultimately the gravitational constant and gravity is one of the most important physical properties of the universe so that is my answer
krisshP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The speed of light as I don't think anything can travel faster than it and go beyond it.
cant_think_of_name
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I always liked e. I just think the symmetry behind it is beautiful
Khallil
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cant_think_of_name)
Explain!
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't really like universal physical constants because there isn't a reason why they're that number; they just are. They're arbitrary constants that you just have to deal with and use.
enceladus
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJG21)
The Madelung Constant.
Haven't come across that before, looks like it might be more of a chemistry thing?

(Original post by AreebWithaHat)
epsilon nought without a doubt
Ahh the permittivity of free space, can you quote it from memory though?

(Original post by cant_think_of_name)
I'm guessing you mean 'e' in the mathematical sense because e is also used as the charge on an electron...
enceladus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I don't really like universal physical constants because there isn't a reason why they're that number; they just are. They're arbitrary constants that you just have to deal with and use.
Isn't that a bit like saying you don't like the laws of physics because you just have to use them?

Physical constants come form those laws. Most are found empirically.
AreebWithaHat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by enceladus)
Haven't come across that before, looks like it might be more of a chemistry thing?<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Ahh the permittivity of free space, can you quote it from memory though?<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
I'm guessing you mean 'e' in the mathematical sense because e is also used as the charge on an electron...
<br />
<br />

no i wish, i'm not even a physicist I'm a medic lol. it has the best sounding name tbh
enceladus
Rep:
?
(Original post by AreebWithaHat)
<br />
<br />

no i wish, i'm not even a physicist I'm a medic lol. it has the best sounding name tbh
lol fair enough, there really isn't much use to being able to know it from memory, it's just funny cus when you talk to physicists they'll probably know quite a few off the top of their head from using them so much.
__Adam__
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Pi.

But if it has to be more Physics-based, either the Avogadro constant or the gravitational constant.
Solivagant
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by enceladus)
Haven't come across that before, looks like it might be more of a chemistry thing?
It is, but that doesn't make it not physical? Physical doesn't mean physics. And it's part of physical chemistry which in itself is basically physics anyway.
Stonebridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm quite fond of the Rydberg constant. Maybe it's because he was Swedish.
cuckoo99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Boltzmann constant 1.3806488 × 10^-23 m2 kg s-2 K-1 is so useful as is Planks constant(OP stated it). Also Avogadro's constant is 1 of the most important constants in chemistry 6.022 x 10^23.
enceladus
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJG21)
It is, but that doesn't make it not physical? Physical doesn't mean physics. And it's part of physical chemistry which in itself is basically physics anyway.

I didn't say that it wasn't a physical constant. I haven't done too much chemistry I was simply saying that that might be why I hadn't heard of it.

S'all, no stress.
KT_T
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Avogadro's number :P <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
58.47%
No (53)
22.46%
Not sure (45)
19.07%

Watched Threads