How are people with 4A*s getting rejected?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've seen applicants with 10+ A*s, and 4 A*s at A level get rejected without an interview yet people with say 3 As get an interview? Can someone explain? Would their personal statement possibly be responsible for this?..
emski
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah ps probably if they have seen lots of similar ones, the ps shows the skills and personality that makes them stand out rather than the grades
Delta, Δ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is more that just grades in an application you know.
Dan.E
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Grades are not only thing uni's are interested in anymore.

No point being someone who studies 24/7 if there's nothing 'special' about you.
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If they have nothing special on their personal statement, or personality, then of course they would be rejected. Someone with 3 A's, but also take sport to a higher level, have lots of experience in their subject field and are genuinely interesting and interested in their course would have a greater chance of getting a place than an utter robot with 4A*'s, who spend their whole lives learning facts from a book and have nothing to offer in other terms.
excal9
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I find it odd having being told by an admissions tutor that they are after purely academic individuals. However I cant see them wanting people who are arrogant or can't string a sentence together
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If people with those grades are getting rejected without an interview, it suggests there's something seriously wrong with their application so as to make it automatically fatal. Oxbridge tend to interview the vast majority of their applicants (generally everyone except the real 'no-hopers'), and then make the important decisions after that. People with 4A*s etc getting rejected post-interview does happen from time to time if they don't make the right impression, but before interview it's pretty much unheard of so I'd love to know where you got that information from.
Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Delta, Δ)
There is more that just grades in an application you know.
That's what I'm asking...
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So much bad information here. Oxbridge repeated say that (apart from subjects like medicine where personal statement always matters), they only care about how academic you are. They don't care if you're good at a sport (apart from maybe if you're an olympic rower), what musical instuments you play etc.

Also there is more to academics than grades, they normally give you another test to do and you also have the interview (which is academic).
Hellcat12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is the reason I have always kept my Extracurricular activities fuelled up with my academics since the PS as the above posters have mentioned must never fail to impress the unis.
You need to make an impression rather than show your sole aptitude towards study, the unis want someone who can give them benefits in return in form of their Participation in Co-Curricular Events, they don't make a reputation themselves based on supersonic geek production only.
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hellcat12)
This is the reason I have always kept my Extracurricular activities fuelled up with my academics since the PS as the above posters have mentioned must never fail to impress the unis.
You need to make an impression rather than show your sole aptitude towards study, the unis want someone who can give them benefits in return in form of their Participation in Co-Curricular Events, they don't make a reputation themselves based on supersonic geek production only.
Note thread in Oxbridge forum, as an Oxford student, I can assure you that my tutors don't really care at all about extra-curricular activities... For my subject I know someone who applied at the same time as me with 15A*s and 6As at AS level who then went on to get 5A*s and 1A at A2 who didn't even get an interview because she failed the aptitude test - and though the content in the aptitude test is really not hard, the questions are designed in such a way that if you don't do that naturally you will not do well. The tutors are interested in high achievers with high academic potential with the stress of potential - it's no good to have 4A*s at A-level if that is the limit of what you can achieve.

BUT the above is not me saying that doing extra-curriculars is a bad thing! It's good to do them and all other things being equal, having the same academic achievements as someone else WHILE still doing extra-curricular stuff shows that you are probably more academically gifted or can manage time better etc. Though extra-curriculars are no substitute for sub-par academics.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Frannoooooooo)
I've seen applicants with 10+ A*s, and 4 A*s at A level get rejected without an interview yet people with say 3 As get an interview? Can someone explain? Would their personal statement possibly be responsible for this?..
It isn't particularly likely they would be rejected pre-interview, what subject(s) are you talking about and was this specifically Oxford or Cambridge?
Bulbasaur
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Umm, sorry guys, but can you all stop telling OP that extra curriculars help you get in? They really don't. It's all about your academic profile, which in fact isn't just about your grades....

Doesn't matter if you've played rugby for whatever team or you are grade 8 in 3 different instruments, that doesn't actually help your application, all it means is whoever is reading it will think 'that's nice', or if its clear that you're lying, more likely they'll be thinking 'this person is a bull****ter'. When I applied, I was told this by admissions tutors at Cambridge. And now that I'm here, if the topic ever comes up, I hear it again.

Moreover you don't need to have anything 'special' (whatever that means) in your PS or even your application to get in (although the PS does need to demonstrate that you know what you're talking about, and that you love your subject etc. etc.). Your academic profile simply needs to be up to the standard required, and better than the majority of applicants (as obviously it is the minority who obtain an offer in almost all subjects).

Frankly anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

(Original post by james22)
So much bad information here. Oxbridge repeated say that (apart from subjects like medicine where personal statement always matters), they only care about how academic you are. They don't care if you're good at a sport (apart from maybe if you're an olympic rower), what musical instuments you play etc.

Also there is more to academics than grades, they normally give you another test to do and you also have the interview (which is academic).
This.
rik108
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You may be academically capable but may be a person without any common sense. The world revolves around people being employable. The personal statement was probably the main difference unless stated otherwise.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it was for Oxford, then they often use pre-admission tests to select who they interview. Therefore, a bad performance on that could have stopped them from getting an interview.

For Cambridge, I would struggle to see how someone with 10A* at GCSE and 4A* at A Level wouldn't even get an interview, unless their A Level subjects were unsuitable for their chosen course.
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rik108)
You may be academically capable but may be a person without any common sense. The world revolves around people being employable. The personal statement was probably the main difference unless stated otherwise.
Wrong, they don't care about personal statements or common sense (unless it is so bad it would affect your ability to perform).
K_o_46
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got rejected for bradford clinical sciences but just got an offer for cambridge medicine.
I am predicted 4A*s as well. Bradford emailed me and said they rejected me cos my personal statement was based on medicine
Katy186
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hellcat12)
Can I humbly ask what kind of extra-curricular activities you engage in alongside your studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This isn't the US; an interviewer at Cambridge glanced at my PS and said that my ECs are impressive but wouldn't have a bearing on their decision.

Oxbridge tend to like what they call 'super-curricular' activities. Ie, extra-curricular things related to the subject that you want to study. That's the only thing apart from academics that really have any bearing on their decision, AFAIK.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So? A guy at my school had 12 A*s at GCSE, and 5 A*s and one A at A-level and he wasn't even offered an interview!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.69%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.04%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.32%

Watched Threads