I have exams soon, should I get the flu jab?

Watch this thread
cmmary
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm healthy, and have considered having the flu jab since I don't want the to catch the flu while i'm doing my public exams. I was affected massively when I had just the 'common cold' and I don't think I should take the risk, should I just get it done?I am worried that it may cause some illness as people often have side effects just as bad as the flu after the vaccination? Please help me!
hslt
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Flu jab is about 90% effective (I think), but can quite commonly give you mild flu-like symptoms for a few days. Very rarely will this be anything near full blown flu, but it could make you feel quite tired.

Also, if you are a healthy young person you would have to get the flu jab done privately - not hard to arrange, and not hugely costly, but that's another consideration.
cmmary
Rep:
(Original post by hslt)
Flu jab is about 90% effective (I think), but can quite commonly give you mild flu-like symptoms for a few days. Very rarely will this be anything near full blown flu, but it could make you feel quite tired.

Also, if you are a healthy young person you would have to get the flu jab done privately - not hard to arrange, and not hugely costly, but that's another consideration.
Thanks for the advice, do you know the peak time when flu is most common(i.e. february/March/summer/winter...) ?

Kind Regards
hslt
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cmmary)
Thanks for the advice, do you know the peak time when flu is most common(i.e. february/March/summer/winter...) ?

Kind Regards
Winter, and the HPA website says Dec to March apparently
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Eat properly, get excercise, take vitamins to boost your immunity.

Its rare that people actually get genuine, full blown influenza, which is what the jab is for, and if you're healthy, I don't think its necessary. Keep up your immunity and use a preventative nasal spray (boots do one)
cmmary
Rep:
(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
Eat properly, get excercise, take vitamins to boost your immunity.

Its rare that people actually get genuine, full blown influenza, which is what the jab is for, and if you're healthy, I don't think its necessary. Keep up your immunity and use a preventative nasal spray (boots do one)
Brilliant! Do you know the name of the nasal spray?
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...-20ml_1387553/

My partner had a rotten cold a few weeks ago and I didn't catch it using this.
Sanddancerlass
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The reason you probably got bad is due to stress of revising and exams. It can lower your immune system I remover this from reading a study of students immune system around exam time and normal day to day times. It was found they were I'll more around exam times

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.77%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (53)
54.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.12%

Watched Threads