BailaS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The question: A particle P is moving along the x-axis with constant deceleration 3ms-2. At time t=0s, P is passing through the origin O and is moving with speed ums-1 in the direction of x increasing. At time t=8s, P is instantaneously at rest at the pout A. Find:

A) The value of u
B) The distance OA
C) The times at which P is 24m from A.

I worked out A (got 24ms-1) and B (got 96m) which are correct according to the book. I just can't work out C. I think I know what I have to do, but I can't seem to get the right answers.

This is what I have done:

Using the equation s=ut+1/2at^2 (it says times, so I assume you make a quadratic equation from this.

s=24m
a=-3ms-2

Therefore I have 24=ut -3/2t^2

I wasn't too sure how to get u, so I used the fact that s=24m, and a=-3ms-2. Then I used v=0ms-1. I then used v^2=u^2+2as

v^2 - 2as = u^2

This gives u=12ms-1.

So then I have 24=12t -3/2t^2

Have I done this at all correct so far?

Thanks
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BailaS)
The question: A particle P is moving along the x-axis with constant deceleration 3ms-2. At time t=0s, P is passing through the origin O and is moving with speed ums-1 in the direction of x increasing. At time t=8s, P is instantaneously at rest at the pout A. Find:

A) The value of u
B) The distance OA
C) The times at which P is 24m from A.

I worked out A (got 24ms-1) and B (got 96m) which are correct according to the book. I just can't work out C. I think I know what I have to do, but I can't seem to get the right answers.

This is what I have done:

Using the equation s=ut+1/2at^2 (it says times, so I assume you make a quadratic equation from this.

s=24m
a=-3ms-2

Therefore I have 24=ut -3/2t^2

I wasn't too sure how to get u, so I used the fact that s=24m, and a=-3ms-2. Then I used v=0ms-1. I then used v^2=u^2+2as

v^2 - 2as = u^2

This gives u=12ms-1.

So then I have 24=12t -3/2t^2

Have I done this at all correct so far?

Thanks

You found u in the first part
BailaS
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
You found u in the first part
Oh so I still use 24ms-1 then. But then surely s=96m, because u (in part A) was starting at O, an in part C I am starting from 72m away from O (24m from A)?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense
aaron garbett
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh so I still use 24ms-1 then. But then surely s=96m, because u (in part A) was starting at O, an in part C I am starting from 72m away from O (24m from A)?

I think you would use original value for u and then use s=72m
BailaS
Rep:
?
(Original post by aaron garbett)
I think you would use original value for u and then use s=72m
I see. I did consider doing that but then just ended up totally confused.

If I do that I would get

72=24t - 3/2t^2

Re-arranged: 3/2t^2 - 24t + 72 = 0

Is that correct?
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

hmmmmm
You have 2 choices u=24 and then s = OA-24

Or you can start again from A in which case u=0 and s = 24 not forgetting to add the 8 sec from the start
aaron garbett
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I see. I did consider doing that but then just ended up totally confused.

If I do that I would get

72=24t - 3/2t^2

Re-arranged: 3/2t^2 - 24t + 72 = 0

Is that correct?
It would give two real values for t, it is correct in the substitution you've done try solving it and see if the answers are right
aaron garbett
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hmmmmm

Or you can start again from A in which case u=0 and s = 24 not forgetting to add the 8 sec from the start
This way would also work
BailaS
Rep:
?
hmmmmm

It would give two real values for t, it is correct in the substitution you've done try solving it and see if the answers are right
Ok I'll have a try with these ideas. I'll be back in a couple of minutes
ExcitinglyMundane
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I think that you've slightly misinterpreted the question.
Using the information provided in the question, and also the information you have calculated in parts a) and b), I will describe the motion of the particle:

At time t = 0s{-1}, u = 24ms^{-1}.
It then moves forward with a constant deceleration, so that a = -3ms^{-2}.
When the particle has a displacement s = 96m, it comes to instantaneous rest, but it is still accelerating in the negative direction.

Twice on this journey, s = 96 - 24 = 72m, the first when it has a positive velocity, the second when it has a negative velocity. Your task is to find out the times at which this occurs.

Here's a hint:
Spoiler:
Show

You know u = 24ms^{-1}, a = -3ms^{-2}, you're looking for when s = 72m and you're looking for time, t = ?s

So, try:
s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2

72 = 24t + \frac{1}{2}*-3*t^2

I'm sorry if I've repeated anything you've already said or know.
BailaS
Rep:
?
(Original post by ExcitinglyMundane)
I think that you've slightly misinterpreted the question.
Using the information provided in the question, and also the information you have calculated in parts a) and b), I will describe the motion of the particle:

At time t = 0s{-1}, u = 24ms^{-1}.
It then moves forward with a constant deceleration, so that a = -3ms^{-2}.
When the particle has a displacement s = 96m, it comes to instantaneous rest, but it is still accelerating in the negative direction.

Twice on this journey, s = 24m, the first when it has a positive velocity, the second when it has a negative velocity. Your task is to find out the times at which this occurs.

Here's a hint:
Spoiler:
Show

You know u = 24ms^{-1}, a = -3ms^{-2}, you're looking for when s = 96 - 24 = 72m and you're looking for time, t = ?s

So, try:
s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2

72 = 24t + \frac{1}{2}*-3*t^2

I'm sorry if I've repeated anything you've already said or know.
Yep I worked it out a couple of minutes ago and I got that, and the solutions work.

Thanks for explanation

This way would also work
hmmmmm

Thank you both as well I got it right this time .
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Y

aaron garbett
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep I worked it out a couple of minutes ago and I got that, and the solutions work.

Thanks for explanation

Happy to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (209)
43.45%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.64%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.48%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (103)
21.41%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (50)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise