The Student Room Group

How can I learn to recognise which calculations need to be used for a question?

I know this sounds silly, but I'm doing AS Chemistry and I'm really struggling to answer questions involving chemical calculations because I don't recognise which calculations need to be used to answer a particular question. It's a problem I have with chemistry generally, actually - I learn the material, but when it comes to actually answering the questions about what I've learnt, I really struggle. This is particularly the case with calculations though.

How can I learn to recognise what is needed to answer a question?

Scroll to see replies

My exam technique for maths in science questions is usually to write down the information in the question next to the symbol that represents it in an equation. I would post an example but I dropped chemistry and cant remember what equations are on the syllabus :P (BTW i got a B)
Original post by la95
I know this sounds silly, but I'm doing AS Chemistry and I'm really struggling to answer questions involving chemical calculations because I don't recognise which calculations need to be used to answer a particular question. It's a problem I have with chemistry generally, actually - I learn the material, but when it comes to actually answering the questions about what I've learnt, I really struggle. This is particularly the case with calculations though.

How can I learn to recognise what is needed to answer a question?

Hi :smile:

A way to do this is to do all of the past papers, because this way you will learn to recognise the questions and thus what you have to do for them. You must practise doing the calculations and to do this you can get a book called" Calculations in AS/A level chemistry" by Jim Clark. This book is brilliant and perfect for when you don't understand calculation in A level chemistry.

In conclusion:

1) Do all the calculation questions, even if you get them wrong, after a while of going back over it and reading around it, it will click.
2) Do all of the past papers available, maybe more than once.
3) Get that calculations book.
4) Practise practise practise!

Best of luck! If you have any other questions, fire em at me! :biggrin:
If you have difficulty doing the calculations, then you're probably not understanding the material. It's not enough to learn the material, you need to properly understand what you're learning. Whilst a lot of people learn equations off by heart for calculations in chemistry, I personally think it's a lot more effective just understanding what the calculations involve and extrapolate things from that understanding.
Be careful of repeating past paper questions if you are limited on them because you will remember what you did before and you don't want to become complacent with "knowing what equations to use" when really you are fooling yourself. Its best to be able to figure out what to do with each question as you see it instead of remembering a similar one from before as you never know what will come up on the exam. Ask your teacher for an assortment of different style questions to practice instead of using up all the past papers (which are best done all in one go within the allotted time so you know how good you are overall)
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
If you have difficulty doing the calculations, then you're probably not understanding the material. It's not enough to learn the material, you need to properly understand what you're learning. Whilst a lot of people learn equations off by heart for calculations in chemistry, I personally think it's a lot more effective just understanding what the calculations involve and extrapolate things from that understanding.

To be honest, I'm not very mathematically minded so I don't really have much of a grasp of what the equations mean, but because my grasp of anything maths-related is so poor, I'm not sure how I can make myself understand them either. :cry2:
Original post by la95
To be honest, I'm not very mathematically minded so I don't really have much of a grasp of what the equations mean, but because my grasp of anything maths-related is so poor, I'm not sure how I can make myself understand them either. :cry2:

Don't worry my maths is poo too and I'm now doing A2 and I've applied to do chem in uni! Don't let anyone put you down because it! People told me I wasn't capable and I prove them wrong! What I did was kept doing all the questions I could find, so exam questions in text book past papers specimen papers random papers etc. I also wrote things down such as calculations over and over and pretty much memorized the whole textbook! Don't give up it's early days yet just keep trying and most of all always revise whenever you can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauraMarieBrooks
Don't worry my maths is poo too and I'm now doing A2 and I've applied to do chem in uni! Don't let anyone put you down because it! People told me I wasn't capable and I prove them wrong! What I did was kept doing all the questions I could find, so exam questions in text book past papers specimen papers random papers etc. I also wrote things down such as calculations over and over and pretty much memorized the whole textbook! Don't give up it's early days yet just keep trying and most of all always revise whenever you can!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excuse my very bad grammar there typing fast on iPod and autocorrect changed a few things!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response! Would you say you managed to memorise every type of question that could come up in the exam and were therefore familiar with the questions that did come up, or that you managed to develop the skills and understand needed to solve questions you weren't familiar with? Also, what grade did you get at AS if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by la95
Thanks for the response! Would you say you managed to memorise every type of question that could come up in the exam and were therefore familiar with the questions that did come up, or that you managed to develop the skills and understand needed to solve questions you weren't familiar with? Also, what grade did you get at AS if you don't mind me asking?

I would say with OCR (what i did) that memorising every style is difficult since they know what styles they have used before and are always using new styles. It should do to get a decent/borderline grade but if you are aiming for top marks then it wont do :/
Reply 10
Original post by PerryPerry95
I would say with OCR (what i did) that memorising every style is difficult since they know what styles they have used before and are always using new styles. It should do to get a decent/borderline grade but if you are aiming for top marks then it wont do :/

I need an A and I'm on WJEC. I'm just not sure how I can teach myself to be good at recognising what needs to be used where. I can do the actual maths, it's just a case of knowing which calculations to use and in what order. :s-smilie:
is there any chance you could post a question that you struggled with? :smile:
Original post by la95

I would say so most definitely because often the questions are so similar! I was predicted an A but came out with C because both papers were really horrid and we're full of maths but I find AS sooooo easy now! I'd do the calculations for fun! I do AQA btw not sure what exam board your with? However I'm resitting because I know I can do so much better than a C!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by la95

I would say so most definitely because often the questions are so similar! I was predicted an A but came out with C because both papers were really horrid and we're full of maths but I find AS sooooo easy now! I'd do the calculations for fun! I do AQA btw not sure what exam board your with? However I'm resitting because I know I can do so much better than a C!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you managed to memorize every style that has come up before then why should you have struggled on a paper full of maths? Am i the only one who thinks you cant memorise the style of questions as thats the only thing they really change?

Actually, no worries I've already bought the book now. The customer reviews were amazing, so thought I couldn't miss out on this :P lol
Reply 16
is there any chance you could post a question that you struggled with? :smile:

I really struggled with this question - my boyfriend helped me and I ended up with these workings but I'm still not convinced my answer is correct.

a) Emeralds are a form of the mineral beryl, with their green colour due to the impurities present.
A sample of beryl contains 10.04% aluminium, 53.58% oxygen and 31.35% silicon by mass, with beryllium making up the remainder. Its molecular formula is Al2BexSi6O18.
Find the percentage by mass of beryllium in the compound and hence calculate the value of x in this formula.

10.04 + 53.58 + 31.35 = 94.97%
% by mass(Be) = 100 - 94.97 = 5.03%

Al - 10.04/27.0 = 0.3719/0.3719 = 1
O - 53.58/16.0 = 3.349/0.3719 = 9
Si - 31.35/28.1 = 1.116/0.3719 = 3
Be - 5.03/9.01 = 0.5583/0.3719 = 2

Empirical formula = AlBe2Si3O9

Hence, molecular formula = Al2Be4Si6O18

Value of x = 4
If you managed to memorize every style that has come up before then why should you have struggled on a paper full of maths? Am i the only one who thinks you cant memorise the style of questions as thats the only thing they really change?

Because new questions came up that had never ever come up before! I was very prepared for my exam always had A's in class tests, always had A's in mocks I was awarded the chemistry award for my school! It's just new maths came up that I'd never done before! If new normal questions came up on mechanism or synthesis or interpretation I'd have been fine! Just I was unlucky with the questions that came up and even then I was only a few ums off a B! I'm resitting to get an A. It's different with different people and different exam boards prior to my exam in June 2013 the same style questions were coming up year on year on year! You'd be a fool not to memorise the style and types!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by la95
Thanks for the response! Would you say you managed to memorise every type of question that could come up in the exam and were therefore familiar with the questions that did come up, or that you managed to develop the skills and understand needed to solve questions you weren't familiar with?

I would say so most definitely because often the questions are so similar!

You answer the question with a "definitely"

Because new questions came up that had never ever come up before! I was very prepared for my exam always had A's in class tests, always had A's in mocks I was awarded the chemistry award for my school! It's just new maths came up that I'd never done before! If new normal questions came up on mechanism or synthesis or interpretation I'd have been fine! Just I was unlucky with the questions that came up and even then I was only a few ums off a B! I'm resitting to get an A. It's different with different people and different exam boards prior to my exam in June 2013 the same style questions were coming up year on year on year! You'd be a fool not to memorise the style and types!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yet go on to say new questions came up that had never come up before

New questions can come up as you say and trip you up in the exam. Learning the styles is not enough, you need to be confident with the syllabus so that you can work with the given information.

Original post by la95
I really struggled with this question - my boyfriend helped me and I ended up with these workings but I'm still not convinced my answer is correct.

a) Emeralds are a form of the mineral beryl, with their green colour due to the impurities present.
A sample of beryl contains 10.04% aluminium, 53.58% oxygen and 31.35% silicon by mass, with beryllium making up the remainder. Its molecular formula is Al2BexSi6O18.
Find the percentage by mass of beryllium in the compound and hence calculate the value of x in this formula.

10.04 + 53.58 + 31.35 = 94.97%
% by mass(Be) = 100 - 94.97 = 5.03%

Al - 10.04/27.0 = 0.3719/0.3719 = 1
O - 53.58/16.0 = 3.349/0.3719 = 9
Si - 31.35/28.1 = 1.116/0.3719 = 3
Be - 5.03/9.01 = 0.5583/0.3719 = 2

Empirical formula = AlBe2Si3O9

Hence, molecular formula = Al2Be4Si6O18

Value of x = 4

ahh right i see what type of questions you mean now and the technique of writing down the given info and working out which equations to use are less effective in this circumstance. You need to learn the equations well enough so that you can look at a question and know what info you can figure out and then go on to use that info in more equations. The information they give you can vary greatly so you just need to practice being able to see where you are going and not "fumbling around in the dark" for an answer.
Reply 19
You answer the question with a "definitely"

yet go on to say new questions came up that had never come up before

New questions can come up as you say and trip you up in the exam. Learning the styles is not enough, you need to be confident with the syllabus so that you can work with the given information.

ahh right i see what type of questions you mean now and the technique of writing down the given info and working out which equations to use are less effective in this circumstance. You need to learn the equations well enough so that you can look at a question and know what info you can figure out and then go on to use that info in more equations. The information they give you can vary greatly so you just need to practice being able to see where you are going and not "fumbling around in the dark" for an answer.

Thanks for the advice, very useful! :biggrin: Would you say my workings and the answer to the above question are correct?

Quick Reply

Latest